Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

WOW, Wolf Adventures got 14 reviews compared to my 3? That settles it, clearly I should just write crappy stories that you can read in 5 minutes to get a free point as apparently that's what people would prefer :)

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

The Wolf Adventures guy managed to write three stories in one day, and that's with spending two and a half whole hours on Wolf Adventure. Clearly he is an inspiration to us all, poor talentless slackers that we are..

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Yeah... sigh. I'd say about only about 10% of the active users on this site are what I'd call really good authors and maybe 20% of the site's users are semi-illiterate. I like the wolf person's poem though.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

welp

Say hello to the new shitty wolf story and bye bye to Ripper.

At least we all know it's getting featured so it'll be visible again soon.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Wolf/dog sims are the new Warrior Cats.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I would quite like all these wolf fans to travel into the Alaskan wilderness, find a pack of half-starved and rabid grey wolves and try to play with them to see how cute and cuddly they are in real life... I imagine it'll go something like "here boy, who's a cutie pie, yes you are, yes you are, oh we're a little bit bitey today are we? Huh, no, stop that, ARGGHH my face, my favorite eye! Give that back! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO! OH THE HUMANITY! ARRGGGHHHHHH....." Then silence and the site is free from wolf simulation stories forever :)

Or these fans could try reading Jack London's Cry of the Wild. That's another option.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

My fifth grade teacher read us Call of the Wild. I bet he'd get in trouble for that now because some parts were just brutal, but we all really got into it at the time.

And all kids go through a phase like that where they think real animals are like Disney ones. Even when you know better, you can keep halfway convincing yourself for awhile just like when you started to figure out Santa wasn't real but wanted to pretend he was just a little while longer.

But if they fail to grow out of it by the time they're 16 they'll probably be delusional for life. I do have a theory though that it' s a lack of being around or otherwise learning about real, actual animals when they're growing up that leads to that. I mean most animals are pretty fascinating and cool in their own right even if you're not building up some kind of elaborate fantasy about them.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I have friends who are basically very girly girls fighting the fact they're adults by bringing their love of Disney and zany senses of humor into their grown-up lives. I think that sort of thing is good but when you're 40 surrounded by a flat full of stuffed toy cats wearing an I LOVE SOMETHINGCLAN t shirt and listening to the voices that tell you all dogs in the vicinity must be killed... I can see how that might lead to problems :)

This nature-nuture idea is interesting, are some people just inherently shy/anti-social or were they not around other people much as a child (for some reason I'm thinking of Ed Gein here)? It might be animals are easier to relate to than humans for some people, I see this with older teachers a lot actually where they are very good with children but rude and defensive to grown-ups. Are things like forums, facebook and twitter good for improving socialness or does it turn people into computer-addicted humans who "plug into" their computer whenever they're not eating or sleeping? Definitely have mixed feelings about technology...

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Rabies isn't that common in wolves. Also, if a wolf was in rage phase, they probably wouldn't be with a pack. Your "realistic" view of wolves isn't very realistic, no offense.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

'Rabid' was a figure of speech. Have you even read the book we're discussing? Or White Fang? Doesn't sound like it but I'm kind of surprised if not, they're both probably the most well known 'animal perspective' books about dogs.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago
Call of the Wild? No, I've only read one or two of London's short-stories, most memorably "How to build a fire". I didn't think that Will's first paragraph had anything to do with the book, though.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Since he was discussing a wolf pack in the Alaskan wilderness and then immediately mentioned a book dealing with wolf packs in the Alaskan wilderness I assumed he was. (Though actually I was wrong here because it's White Fang that's a lot more wolf focused. You will never mistake the wolf pack in the beginning for 'cuddly'.) 

Still, please do read them both. Should be required reading for all these wolf sim people tooif only to see what I'll be judging all their lame stories against.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

His was the luck of the beginner. Born to be a hunter of meat (though he did not know it), he blundered upon meat just outside his own cave-door on his first foray into the world. It was by sheer blundering that he chanced upon the shrewdly hidden ptarmigan nest. He fell into it. He had essayed to walk along the trunk of a fallen pine. The rotten bark gave way under his feet, and with a despairing yelp he pitched down the rounded crescent, smashed through the leafage and stalks of a small bush, and in the heart of the bush, on the ground, fetched up in the midst of seven ptarmigan chicks.

They made noises, and at first he was frightened at them. Then he perceived that they were very little, and he became bolder. They moved. He placed his paw on one, and its movements were accelerated. This was a source of enjoyment to him. He smelled it. He picked it up in his mouth. It struggled and tickled his tongue. At the same time he was made aware of a sensation of hunger. His jaws closed together. There was a crunching of fragile bones, and warm blood ran in his mouth. The taste of it was good. This was meat, the same as his mother gave him, only it was alive between his teeth and therefore better. So he ate the ptarmigan. Nor did he stop till he had devoured the whole brood. Then he licked his chops in quite the same way his mother did, and began to crawl out of the bush.

Fun stuff.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago
Wow, I can see the disappointment with the recent wolf-sims. They could easily use the wolves' carnivorous tendencies to create some really beautiful moments of moral ambiguity. But, no, we get a bunch of debatably anthropomorphic wolves who have horrible search and rescue strategies and are scared of something roughly the size of a large housecat.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

But Jack London never had that stroke of genius required to let his wolves use ladders.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Uhm... *scraps wolf-based story*

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

No, don't!

If you use variables and scripting, you could've made an epic wolf story! *sigh*

Is Wolf Heart going to be the only story with scripts, even the simplest?

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Looks like the new wolf girl deleted both her games so now yours is back. Guess it doesn't matter much now that it's featured, but maybe it'll get another review or two. I think a lot of people sometimes skim past the featured list in favor of looking at what's new.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I swear your positivity is like nobody I've ever come across. I especially liked this comment you made.

I think we can all take something away from this detailed and thoughtful story of one wolf's struggle to overcome the ideological difficulties inherent in his race and rise above it all to a greater state of enlightenment... so happy my story-game's getting pushed down the new stories list for this :D
-- Will11 on 5/24/2015 11:28:06 PM

On the plus side, your story will be getting featured (either in mystery or edutainment) so it will soon be permanently up there.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Haha thanks EndMaster :) That's why I made my profile picture a happy face so when I post comments like these people think I'm joking, what they don't know is I'm oiling the chainsaw, putting on my mask and getting ready to visit the wolf person writer's house as we speak (I'm joking of course, I can't afford a chainsaw. Yet.) :P It's really easy for me to get annoyed by some of the people on this site so for their sake's and mine I use humor as a safety barrier between them and me, lots of :) and :D. I'll just go throw a turtle at a traffic warden or something later if I need to vent :)

Tbh I don't think most of the stories on this site are bad though, they're just not particularly good either and rather than try to improve a lot of people get bored and leave the site or just drift into the strange world of the forums forever more, which I like to think of a maze of tvs full of people who aren't sure if they want to leave or watch just one more role playing game...

I'll actually be quite happy if my story gets featured in any genre. That'll make 3 stories featured which is one of the requirements to get your own trophy. I like shiny things.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

See, when it comes to new users, rather than let them get bored and leave the site or sucked into that limbo, I've discovered that it's much better to make them leave in a rage by offering constructive criticism and reasonable advice...they hate that so much!

But I love your avatar btw. I keep meaning to mention that.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Yeah... I've noticed that which is strange :) I think with a lot of these new authors they have family members or imaginary friends dancing with excitement telling them how good there writing is then they react with fury when strangers point out that things like full stops typically go at the end of sentences. A lot of authors can't handle criticism at all (after all if we were more confident in our writing we'd be submitting it to publishers rather than putting it up for free on websites like this...) but they need to in order to improve. I'm starting to understand that to write a 7/8 story I need to spend at least two months and probably longer ont it...

thanks :) I like your avatar too but why a gas mask? Is it cause so many of the new stories stink?

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Nah, I just wanted a new avatar and happened to have this one sitting on my desktop. It's a character from a couple of DS games I like. (999 and Virtue's Last Reward)

I like your theory though, I'm going to start telling people that.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

<3 zero escape XD 

Featured ripper, Unfeatured Devils fire (since afaik, it's still unfinished.)

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Thanks a lot Sethaniel :D Gonna be happy for the rest of the day now :D

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I decided to switch Devil's Fire and The Object. While Devil's Fire isn't finished AFAIK, I still think that it's a better story in its current form.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago
Awesome, congrats!

(Now get back to work on your happy wolf story, would ya?) :p

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Thanks Seth! And Will, congrats! yes

...oh, and in the case of this latest dog story, we're definitely dealing with imaginary friends. You'll notice two of them briefly borrowed the author's body in order to tell her how much they liked her game. :P

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I can take criticism from anyone...but only if I then find a storygame that person loves/has written/both and write a scathing review. angel

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

...I'm writing a wolf simulation game, but it's currently at a 4/8 rating. I'm working on chapter 5. Imagine the size at chapter 10, the final, and the bonus content if you get the "good wolf" ending.

Nah, it's not too crappy at this point.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

That is encouraging, I'm looking forward to reading it :) Perhaps it's not the subject so much (you can write a good story about anything) but the fact so many authors write their new stories in a day and so there ideas are poorly presented and easily ridiculed. Maybe it is just coincidence that these stories are often about animals...

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Terrible 'Wolf pack' RPs are something that have been popular on various forums for years and years, but I'm not sure what's been drawing these people here unless it's a side effect of the cat plague.

But really, whatever the subject, it starts raising all kinds of red flags when an author who joined less than a week ago is like, "Here's my first story! I worked on it for hours! Don't tell me my grammar is bad!!!!!!" 

If they'd taken the time to read a few other stories and comments first they'd have a better idea of what's expected in order to get a good rating. So I don't ever feel bad for being critical, it's a valuable learning experience I provide for free about how to not be so damn impatient to make public every random thing you type and expect the rest of the world to get as excited about it as your mom. 

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

Regarding my own dog story, is it this forum's opinion that indulging in one or two bitch jokes would invalidate that 'geared for Children' tag?

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I don't think so - the "Geared for Children" tag is more for the overall theme, and not the specifics, imho.

Also, didn't The Road to El Dorado reference oral sex? That's certainly not child-friendly, but it's still a kids-movie.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

I would think the "bitches" would be off limits unless you did some sort of subtle joke that adults will get, without actually using the word bitch.

Basically the sort of thing that Disney does all the time.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

A bitch is a female dog, it is not a bad word except when used in an inappropriate context.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wolf Sims

8 years ago

It`s true though, it`s a plague. Storyline:

Female Omega Werewolf/person with a wolf in them or whatever the heck that is realizes the chances of here ever finding her soulmate are tiny. She isn`t top priority sob sob sob. Runs away, sees random werewolf boy and goes heart googly eyes at him because she`s found her mate. -intermission of 2-4 awkward scenes-   Boy is too possessive, girl accidentally pregnant, girl`s original pack busts the boy`s pack for getting her pregnant and then Vol. 2!

-_- I just described every wolf story in the universe. Period -_-