WatchNon-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Message

Got a favorite storygame? Can't beat The Wal*Mart Game? If you're here to play storygames, this is the forum for you.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago

Well, I feel Parlor Room rarely has anything going on, and we so rarely discuss storygames in such length, so I'd like to know. What storygames do you feel are underplayed, or slipped past the majority of the people on the site? What games slipped harmlessly off the Newly Created Storygames tab and off to languish in the pits of obscurity with a measly comment or two? Personally, I'd like to recommend the Magellan Series. Although it's a well-rated series, I feel as one of the few new storygames that's actually insanely good and lengthy that it'd get featured if it wasn't in such an already saturated category it's actually received relatively little attention. So definitely give it a try, you won't regret it.

Linkety Link: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/magellan-1~3a-race-into-the-great-unknown 

Well, what other storygames deserve the spotlight, then?

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago

This is a good thread.

The Magellan series is absolutely feature worthy, and I still completely fail to understand why we can't just have a rotating selection of games in the top categories like we do on the front page.

There are plenty of gems by less known authors buried in the archives too, hopefully this thread will encourage a few people to go out and unearth a few. 

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

Because  AlexP hasn't been online in a while. 

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago
Well, let's start with shameless self-promotion. Besides everyone loves princess bosom, right? Cliche Adventures

Possibly the best quick hit story on the site. Deepwoods Flight

A short-story like CYOA that has diverse branching for a combination of a quick read and strong re-read value. Rory Thorn

Beautifully Depraved. Dispiteous

Granted, all of those have a fair amount of comments and got reasonable readership when they were made. Still, many of the 5/6 range stories kind of fall into an abyss after the novelty wears off. I think most of those 5/6 stories are usually 7/8 caliber in the writing, or close to it with a few minor flaws holding them back from greatness, but lack in the "epic" length department that most of our 7/8 stories have.

A featured "story of the week" or "story of the month" that brings a focus to an older story in the archives could be a neat addition to the site.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago

Deepwoods Flight is interesting really primarily for the fact that it proves that we're all lazy and far more likely to rate short, mediocre games than ones that people put actual effort into.

A featured "story of the week" or "story of the month" that brings a focus to an older story in the archives could be a neat addition to the site.

This though, very much this.

I think most of those 5/6 stories are usually 7/8 caliber in the writing, or close to it with a few minor flaws holding them back from greatness, but lack in the "epic" length department that most of our 7/8 stories have.

And also this. One interesting side effect of having such a long-running site with a community whose standards have evolved over time is that there are many highly rated stories from back in the day that would at best be a 5 or 6 if released now, and many new stories rated a 5 or 6 that would've been 7s or 8s. In general I think it's great that we have higher expectations now, but it makes it a little difficult comparing older games to newer ones that'll never quite be able to catch up, no matter how high quality they are.

Anyway, hoping to be set up with a proper computer to go archive diving with soon, and hopefully contribute some of my own suggestions here.

I'll be set up soon to go archive diving hopefully and bring up some suggestions of my own. 

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago
The site morphing towards increasingly higher standards makes sense, when you consider each year, we receive a few more stories that are of very high quality. Some of the "old" stories were the best the site had back then, but comparatively, they aren't as good now.

I know how much you despise the Julius Caesar game.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago
"In general I think it's great that we have higher expectations now, but it makes it a little difficult comparing older games to newer ones that'll never quite be able to catch up, no matter how high quality they are."

What? High quality story games are rated highly. Even if older games have an inflated rating, newer ones that are good will be rated appropriately.

Besides, aside from Homo Perfectus 8 (which is inflated to an 8 for another reason), the best storygames on the site are rated as 7. There's no catching up needed, as a 7 is completely attainable.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago

This Fate is a time travel story that did get a few nice, detailed reviews, but not too many overall considering the number of people who played it. I'll always remember it as being one of the few in the Love & Dating category I actually liked.

Foreign Entity is a pretty solid sci-fi/horror game that I've REALLY been needing to sit down and review, but as it's about to fall off the New Storygames list I'd like to point it out to others too. It got some reviews but mostly short ones.

Everyone still needs to play the Magellan series, that really can't be stressed enough. It's a shame the fantasy section is so glutted since we have so many feature quality games (Steve's Path of Death as well...) that will never have a chance to get that kind of recognition.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago

This is actually a great week to go archive diving, seeing as no one's published shit lately.

Underplayed Storygames

8 months ago
I finally read the first Magellan last night. T'was fun.

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/goldlust

Here we have a pretty decent story of a respectable length by a first time author. It was written in...hmm, looks like a day, so it's obviously got some flaws, but I'd still say this was the kind of author who should be encouraged to stick around and keep practicing. The story was put up two weeks ago, and so far has all of two reviews.

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

I notice Mizals been keeping this up to date with good games. I'm too tired to find anymore, but yay, Mizal! Go play what she recommends. Foreign entity was quite good fun. Oh,and I'd say this one isn't bad. Quite short, but better than a four for definite.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/a-tale-of-war~3a-thragnazil

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

I know this is late, but thank you.

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

I approve of this thread.

yes

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago
I second this suggestion. lol. (thanks for posting it, btw)

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

I really enjoyed this story game called Lonely Boy. 

I feel as if it can do with a bit more praise, it was published by Digit. The writing is pretty good and it's worth multiple playthroughs for the multiple paths and endings that it does have.

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

So, as its not featured, I doubt many new members have played this, but it's spectacular. It's short, but hilarious very entertaining. We need a Comedy section. Seems like a gap in the genres.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-vampire-hunter

Seriously, give it a read. It'll only take a few minutes, and I guarantee you won't regret it.

Underplayed Storygames

7 months ago

That story is quite a gem, I think I played through this many times before but I regretfully forgotten the title. Oh well, thank you for providing the link for it Steve.

Underplayed Storygames

6 months ago

This page has been linked to, so time to put up another game because I remembered this thread exists. 

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/captured~21 This is an ancient classic, almost ten years old. It's a very short work, but it's a fun little flick through an Orwellian nightmare.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/de-milite-inprudenti An entertaining quest of Dragon slaying, with a very fun and interesting narrative method.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/Chuck-Norris-Quiz I don't like quizzes,but this one made me laugh and brought me back to a time where people told Chuck Norris jokes with a blaze of nostalgia, and deserves a place here.

Underplayed Storygames

6 months ago

How could anyone absolutely forget about this wonderful thread!? Anyway, I'm very happy to see it being updated again, very much so. Umm so much so that I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for things to contribute to this thread. (in due time..!)

Underplayed Storygames

4 months ago

The Sable Sea

Almost frustratingly underplayed, imo :c

Edit: Yes, I remembered this thread exists. 

Underplayed Storygames

9 days ago

The Road: Carrying the Fire 

It's pretty bleak, but this isn't a bad storygame by any means. I certainly enjoyed it.

Underplayed Storygames

9 days ago

The thread is risen! Is Thara the Necromancer Sage foretold by the Noble Spork of Cosmic Understanding?