Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

So, for the CYS Weekly I'm writing an article on strong female protagonists. The problem is, most protagonists on any good storygames here are men.

My question is, since a lot of you have played many more storygames than I, are there any storygames featuring a female protagonist which you could recommend so that I can evaluate the character's traits and compile them into a list?

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Suzy is a hard one, because her personality seems to vary pretty radically on every route. In fact, I might just have to fill two entries with Suzy, since I'm conflicted between two of the routes.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

There's one path that sort of goes into some detail and explains why she tends to act the way she does.

The short answer of course is that Suzy is barely hanging on to whatever mental stability she does have and is one bad step away from going completely bat shit crazy. (Or varying degrees of it at least)

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Still, I'll probably find it difficult to try and write her as a whole with that fact in mind.  Even with a good explanation it doesn't stop her personality from fluctuating depending on the route and making me choose between which parts of her show through in each route.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago
You haven't read through the featured storygames yet then.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/The_Secret_of_Daphne.aspx
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-adventures-of-phoebe-mcgee~3a-episode-1,-the-lighthouse

Are some examples. There are a few more featured games with female protagonists as well. Read through the description of the stories to find them.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Ah. Kind of a newbie here, but how can I find a list of featured games? The frontliners for each category only represent present featured games, and I'd like to find both present and past.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago
You don't. The "featured games" refers to the ones that are presently featured.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago
Mia, from Prometheus Academy is also female, pretty sure she could qualify as strong too.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Oh yeah, she'll definitely be on the list. She was one of my first picks before I even posted on this thread.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Female version of the player in ToW might count as well.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Is there really a female character though or is it just a pronoun and name swap? I'm assuming the 'pick your gender' games haven't been brought up for a reason.  

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

I'm trying to avoid picking games that go the Bioware route, I.E you can play as a female but it just swaps whether you're referred to as a He or as a She.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago
Are you limiting this solely to stories that have the player protagonist as female? Because Eternal and Path of Death have very well written female characters that share a lead role with the player.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Strictly player protagonists. Other characters will be reserved for different lists.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

So pronoun change doesn't count, eh?

Well... apart from what have been suggested by others, I dunno. Read more storygames to find out, I guess.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Here's a not-so-complete list of storygames with female protagonists:

1. Lizzie and the Horrors of Hate

2. The Miracle of Jess

3. The Elle Files 1 and 2

4. Homo Perfectus 4 (Where the main character is Eve)

5. Hell Girl

6. Dispiteous

7. After The "Happy" Part

8. The Fox and The Fawn

9. The Elf Princess

10. Mercenary Queen 1 and 3 

Two seems to have been taken down?

Also I remember this one series that was based off of Alma from F.E.A.R but I can't seem to find it..

Anyways, hope I helped ^-^

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Part One

Part Two

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

OH MAN, I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT HOMO PERFECTUS! I remember playing that game years ago. I didn't even know it came from this site! Wow, talk about a nostalgia blast.

Female Protagonists

7 years ago

Hehe. How could you miss it? X3