Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Taking Inventory: First and Third Person

7 years ago

I have never considered the ratio between first and third person stories on the website.

How many effectively written 3rd person narratives do we have?

How many of you, if any, would consider first person an essential normative to the Choose Your Story medium?

7 years ago

Second person is the standard, usually. 

Taking Inventory: Second and Third Person

7 years ago

...Yes you are right...

Hahah. Very well. inexcusable mix ups aside. Assume I had not erroneously said first and instead asked concerning Second person.

Taking Inventory: Second and Third Person

7 years ago

As long as it's decently structured, the tense doesn't really matter to me. 

7 years ago

Most are 'you'. But there are also some with third person perspective.

All the works I will be doing and have done are told in third person perspective. Because using 'you' seem to be kinda awkward in some situations. Also, using second person is more personal toward the reader. And the reader doesn't always agree or be one with the main protagonist.

Plus, I tend to switch perspectives from one side to another. So that's why I prefer third person. It allows for more freedom of showing events and other stuff too instead of being too one-sided.

7 years ago

I do regret my mistake there. My question was always intended to be about second and third person. Thank you for your feedback.

7 years ago

Showing the perspectives of antagonists and enemies is also another factor the use of third person is better for me. I try to not be one-sided or biased toward anything, so that the readers can examine both sided equally and have better understanding of both sides, not being biased on one side. More of a spectator and watcher.

Ah, no need to apologize ^^

7 years ago

I've tallied all featured stories, excluding CYOA movies. Further, I only read the first pages. If there is a tense shift it is not part of my numbers here.

8.9% are written in first person, such as HP7. "I then approach the man?..."

5.4% are written in third person, such as The Adventures of Phoebe McGee: Episode 1, The Lighthouse. "She takes it and steps..."

85.7% are written in second person, such as - just about any story you want to sample.

7 years ago

That is a good question. It would be cool if there was a thing before you enter the story that says what person it's in.

Oh, wait, that's already a thing. It should be in the description. If not, I'll be disgusted.

7 years ago
With CYS stories, it always seemed implied to me that it should be first or second person. You're not supposed to be reading about someone else's adventure, otherwise, how does that choosing thing work?

That said, I have written these many different ways. Third person always seems to be a bit more challenging, but it can work when the choices read something like, "Little Timmy should open the left door." But at the same time, that breaks the fourth wall -- but of course, breaking the fourth wall is what CYS stories are all about anything, isn't it?

Then again, I think perhaps that's one reason that CYS stories, especially in commercial areas, simply haven't been all that successful. Most people want to escape to somewhere else when they read a story. If you are the star of the story, you know you're not really there and I don't think the escape can be complete. If you are reading about someone else, then you're back to that fourth wall problem and still aren't escaping as much.