Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

December 2017 Prompt Contest Discussion

6 years ago
The Parlor Room is so, so dead so thought we might as well try this.

Here we have a catchall thread for posting about any of the contest games. First impressions, questions, random thoughts, theories on winners, etc. Character assassination between entrants welcome but try not to derail from story discussion too much, k?

The Emperor's Zoo - Ogre

Kirthia: Foundations - Mizal. (Expect this one to spontaneously vanish right after the judging... >.>)

A Not So Pleasant Fishing Trip - TheNewIAP

Broken Chains: Blood on the Marble - Malkalack

Just a Doll - CrashAndDive

Saoirse - Steve24833

The Ghost People - Fluxion

The Lost Emperor - Crescentstar

Ballad of the Winter King - Romulus

Scum - Digit

Robin - AzBaz

The Ballad of Anxiety - ericyopy

Mango - EbonVagilis

A Witch's Inheritance - Mynoris

Custody Case - StillWatersRunDeep

....finally finished this lol. Started the html a few hours ago and it's been languishing due to uh, distractions.

6 years ago

I feel like if I commented on any of these, I'd be giving away where they're going to be placing in the contest.

I will say, I thought Azbaz's story was going to be boring as shit since well it's Robin fucking Hood and I've heard the story several times already, however the path I picked was way better than I expected.

Nothing like beating the shit out of a shop keep, stealing his bow and then burning the place down.

6 years ago

You spelled both my name AND game wrong. Smh. 

Steve was shooting for the top, and as much as I want to say that he's a failure of an irishmen with no hope for success, not that he isn't in other areas, but his story now looks like the top competitor for first...

...which makes my story being rated higher than his even better. Get wrecked @Steve24833 Hopefully this will transfer over to the judging, but in the mean time, I'll get to reading the rest of these. 

This was not at all an excuse to post while my name is bolded AND red

6 years ago

Oh, we're doing this? Fuck me, they're not even finished judging, and you're trying to scuttle out of your loss already? So be it. Anyhow, the rating system is fucked as most people are idiots. That's obvious, as one of my very worst games, Achilles, is rated like second best amongst what I've written. We clearly entered this contest as competition, so we'll just have to wait to see who wins.

6 years ago
main-go, eh-bon vah-jill-ees

6 years ago
Endmaster can fix it, if only someone will dare to tag him.

Anyway I see my error now in not making it Vagisilis. I mean, it's easier to pronounce.

6 years ago
I gotta say Fluxion had one of them prettiest and most polished looking stories so far, and it really goes to show how easily swayed people are by things like that since it has so many 8s.

I mean the story is well written and good...for the most part...but 8/8 to me is supposed to be REALLY hard to achieve. The ending was a deal breaker in this case, as well as the fact it did that forced 'try again ' thing if you die. (Although at least it didn't send me back to the very beginning...) Anyway, the takeaway here is that all of my future stories will have pictures and nice backgrounds and fonts.

6 years ago
Am I correct that the following two Stories are not Eligable to win, due to being entered past the deadline?

A Witch's Inheritance - Mynoris
Custody Case - StillWatersRunDeep

6 years ago

Yeah.

6 years ago
Thinking the witchdoctor puzzle in Ogre's entry might be more difficult than intended given how many people I've talked to who got stuck there.

Without giving anything away, how many of you have managed to beat the game?

6 years ago
It's amazing the number of quality stories these contests have all produced!

6 years ago
This contest in particular I'm pretty sure is the most productive one the site has ever had. Usually the top three are fairly obvious but in this case we've got so many high word count/high quality stories that I'm not envying the judges.

I'm guessing some of it may be a combination of everyone in school being off for Christmas break and the theme itself, since the wide variety of prompts meant more people were likely to find something that really inspired them. But with so many long time members here the overall quality level is just going continually upward as well as everyone keeps practicing and improving, and the contests have definitely been a factor in making us all really push ourselves to win or at least meet the deadlines with something respectable.

Well, not Ford. But almost everyone else who enters these.

6 years ago

It is done. Sent my ratings in.

Kept going back and forth on a lot of the top ones since the best ones were really good.

6 years ago

Went ahead and featured Steve and Ebon's stories. Was planning to do it after the results, but figured might as well do it now.

6 years ago
Nice. Congrats guys!

Haven't finished Steve's yet but I've been meaning to review Ebon's, and figured featuring was a foregone conclusion for them both. Pretty amazing for a months worth of writing.

How often do we get two featured stories out of a contest? (School contest not counted because with that category it was like winning the Special Olympics...)

6 years ago

Many thanks. This was a fantastic thing to wake up to, and 1 of my goals are from the beginning of this contest are finally completed. The other two rest upon the results...

Edit: If I manage to snag first place from Steve, then I will also have gone from my measly 100 points to 500.

6 years ago

Oh, and congrats to Steve as well.

6 years ago

Congratulations Steve and Ebon! Does anybody know if there's ever been another member besides EM or Steve with 5 featured storygames authored or co-authored simultaneously? I'm not that aware of CYS's past with regards to previously featured games, and I love knowing stats like this.
I should get around to finishing my WIP soon.

6 years ago

I think JJJ probably did. Besides Midnight Sun, all his remaining stories except for one were all previously featured and when he was around featured stories didn't get changed quite as much so pretty sure he had five simultaneously at one time.

6 years ago

Oh, that makes sense. I didn't think of 3J (probably because he's still gone). Thanks.

6 years ago
I was almost certain Will had, but possibly not. Or not simultaneously anyway. He had four up before the Donnor Party one was taken down though so pretty close.

I'd say he better step up his game and reclaim his Edutainment crown, but pfft we all have his trophy now we don't need HIM anymore.

6 years ago

I don't have his trophy... yet! :)

6 years ago

Oh yeah, I never responded with gloating to this. Yeah, I'm pretty amazing. I've also had the top story of the year every year I've been here.

6 years ago

Cheers.

6 years ago
So I'm noticing most of these still have like one, two reviews on them. Poor AzBaz has none at all.

Thinking we need to get our shit together here people. I'll be tacking the ones I haven't gotten to over the next few days.

Hell, maybe in addition to contest bets we should be having people pledge to do reviews, with a small point bonus if you do them all.

6 years ago
Ikr, I guess Robin Hood just isn't what people want to read about these days. Suppose I am about 600 years late to be fair...

6 years ago
Well it is a long story, that hit the site with a bunch of other long stories, and tbf your description is basically 'lol this sucks'.

So far it's better than I thought it'd be, given your lack of confidence there.

6 years ago

Probably the first time someone has written "This story sucks" in their own description and it actually doesn't suck.

6 years ago
The facade is up- I'm actually an insecure teenage girl fishing for complements.

6 years ago

I'll probably be reading most of them over the weekends when there are fewer children padding about.

6 years ago

@Bucky Would you be so kind as to give us a day estimate? Like will the results be up tomorrow, or Saturday...?

6 years ago
Sometime between Sunday and Tuesday night.

6 years ago
@CrescentStar Any idea when you'll be putting yours back up?