Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Looking to find some dystopian society themed storygames. Any good ones?

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

How dystopian of a Dystopia are you looking for? :)

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

I've really only read the Giver book in the genre. But I really liked the concept of failed uptopias, finding individuality in a world of conformity, etc. I'm not expected to find many on here, if any, but I thought I'd ask.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Well, if you want to see a society fall apart, Eternal or Ground Zero by EndMaster are good.  Not sure if they'd count as dystopian fiction in general, but they certainly have paths in them that would count.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago
It has some flaws but I remember Sanctimonium by Cking sort of fitting that bill. If you're just getting to The Giver you're probably in about the right age range for it.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

I actually read The Giver years ago. I've started reading the Hunger Games, but because I haven't finished, I wasn't sure if that counts as reading it. Otherwise, I read Divergent and didn't like it.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

It's just been pointed out to me that I probably shouldn't have given you Eternal and Ground Zero as options without making sure you're old enough first. ;)

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Old enough to be in high school, but not watch R rated movies. :)

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Okay, maybe you should belay reading those then.  Mizal has read more on the site than I have; she probably has a better idea what else you might like to try.  Just keep in mind the ratings then.  Probably shouldn't try anything rated 7 yet. :)

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Alright, thanks!

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Ultimately, however, the choice is yours.

I mean, you could tell us what the raciest thing you've read (and felt comfortable with) is, and we could guide you accordingly.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Not sure. I'm going to read To Kill a Mockingbird in class– in a few months I believe– and I heard it was banned in some states for racist language but I'm not sure how true that is, so....

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

Well, racist and raciest aren't the same thing.  I suppose my word use is a bit outdated.  I do that from time to time.  I mean, what is the most 'mature' rating type novel you've read, or movie you've seen.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago
To Kill A Mockingbird is fantastic, you ought to read it on your own. Reading things in class a lot of times leaches the enjoyment out.

Can't imagine the kind of unbelievable fucking idiots that would be banning a book that has 'racism is evil' as one of the main themes, but also not surprised because unbelievable fucking idiots are everywhere now.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago
I'm not coming up with any off the top of my head but I'm calling in assistance, hang on. Ground Zero is a post apocalypse thing and Eternal is a fantasy epic, they're both really good but I'm not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for.

Of course just pointing out that if there are any story types lacking on the site, sometimes the most direct way to fill them in is to write a story yourself...

e: IAP just suggested Undead Persona.

Dystopian Storygames

6 years ago

I'm planning one that combines dystopia and superpowers, I just hope my writing skills are good enough to pull it off.