Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Well as if it was any surprise, Ebon has won the contest and beat the chicken soup out of all of you.

Considering all the boasting he did, he didn’t have any choice except to win, though he might have had more competition if y’know the rest of you had actually put in any fucking effort and/or managed your time more wisely.

Ebon mostly won due to writing a good “all around” story. He focused on enough romance stuff for it to pass on that aspect.

Okay, let’s start with Chris and Wibbons. Both of these felt like they belonged in a different contest altogether. (Fanfic obviously for Chris) They both had the bare minimum romance aspect for them to pass in that regard. In Wibbon’s case there was a whole “God’s love” thing too, which…yeah I get, but unless this is a case of the protagonist fucking a deity it’s just not going to do much for me on that level.

Chris’ probably did better in that regard, but since its fanfic about comic book character I don’t care that much about, I didn’t get as much into it, and it never really feels very deep anyway. Seemed odd that the Question was nervous around the Huntress in some parts.

Still, I can’t deny that Chris and Wibbons really were motivated and enthused about their stories. It showed and I probably liked them better than I might have due to the effort they put into them.

Malk and Digit had the advantage of picking a cool enough setting that was going to draw me in. Even as half assed as they both did theirs, I still liked them quite a bit.

Malk was a typical case of wasted talent. Not much else to say really except he's a lazy ass cappy.

Didn’t really get the romance tone of either of them either, but Malk probably did better in that regard due to wrapping it in a “quest” whereas with Digit, it’s just sort of you travel with these chicks and stuff slowly happens, but it never feels very deep. The focus is more on the survival.

Plus Digit annoyed everyone (and more importantly me) by wasting everyone’s fucking time with his harem idea.

Thara and Orange had the opposite problem. They probably had the best “feels” with their romance aspect of the story, but other aspects failed.

With Orange (And I know I’ve said this more than a few times already, but it bears repeating) she wrote in fucking poetry format, and that just is never going to win over a real story format.  I mean if everyone wrote like Mr.Ace I guess it would, but that didn’t happen, so she was bound to lose.

I suppose it says something though that she still did it the way she did and scored better than some other people. Could have been another Inseparable, but I suppose straight necrophiliacs will have to continue to wait for “their story.”

Thara’s was more of a case of trying to do too much for a first real story attempt. A lot was chopped and what remains obviously a lot of effort was put into, but the story ends up fairly linear (which wasn’t just a problem for her and ended up being a reoccurring problem in general for this contest) I really do believe though this one, if it had really been finished, could have given the most trouble for Ebon.

Which brings me to Rev and EZ. Both of these stories would have been fine, but linearity was the main problem. Rev probably did better in choices, but EZ had a more interesting premise. The romance aspect was meh in both. Rev probably did a little better since EZ’s protagonist was basically a mad scientist rapist. (That wasn’t a negative though EZ)

Flux, eh well. It was written well I guess. But I saw the Secretary already and I have no desire to watch 50 Shades of Gray. Not to mention just not into the whole sub thing. I dunno, maybe if it had been a different setting would have grabbed my attention more.

And finally Mizal and Bucky. Well their stories were amusing. Bucky’s probably more than Mizal’s which I had a hard time paying attention to, probably because I know Mizal was just turning some shit in and the enthusiasm was obviously not there. (Similar to Malk and a few others in that regard actually)

If it had been an Edgelord contest Bucky would have definitely scored higher.

As for Mr.Ace. Your story was bad and you should feel bad.

Okay, that’s it for the contest. I know some of you wanted to take your stories down as soon as the contest was over so, you can go ahead and do so to either fix them or delete them or whatever you want. Doesn’t matter anymore.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Well, congrats to Ebon and thank you for running this contest, End. It was both fun and interesting to see and be apart of.

I kind of felt competitive in wanting to take Ebon by surprise since he was so freaking confident in his entry. I guess it turns out that his confidence wasn't unfounded at all with his story.

I'm just glad to be out of the cell. I feel that there's a bonus in having you read my writing instead of it being the other way around for once. Umm, even if the actual entry was very unpolished. I'll definitely be taking this time to fix all of the issues and add back some of the content that had to be cut at last minute.

Congrats and kudos to those that participated! And congratulations to Ebon once again.

You'll trip and fall on your face around here one of these days.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

I hope not. I like my face. But I'm glad my plan for excessive arrogance and bragging inspired some people into action.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
I'm proud of you Ebon. Sure, you had to cut some corners due to procrastination, but we won! Well, you. Now just take a short break and get some sleep, you deserve it.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Oh wait this thread is up already. That was fast, damn. Congrats on the incredible word count and being willing to destroy your health over it Ebon, and gj to all of you who entered. Even an attempt as pathetic and doomed as Mr. Ace's is more of an accomplishment than the people who failed to even make the attempt managed.

Still going to get my real story up soon, although today has to be spent cleaning house and cooking and *shudder* being social.

e: oh and I assume End being normal and all was simply put off by all the handing of nuts going on in my story

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Well, this is pleasant thing to wake up to. 

Congrats to everyone who managed to submit, and thus avoid shame. It was a fun ride, and I think I definitely managed to turn out my best story yet. (I hope) I thank all of you for that, for without people constantly hoping I would lose (digit), or for the bet I made, then I'm not sure my motivation would have as much as it was. 

Special thanks to @Mayana for everything she did for me this contest, including beta-reading, proof reading, what have you. She did a lot, and my story would be a mess of errors without her.

Last, but definitely not least, huge thanks to End for setting this entire thing up. Despite my lack of sleep, I really enjoyed it. 

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Rereading my story just now, it's great even with the complete lack of effort, I should have just done this weeks ago, I could have avoided so much stress and gotten more sleep. Lol at putting in effort. Never again, I'm done with that.

Squirrels love nuts. Hilarious!

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Fast judging means fastest turnaround ever on stories being put up and then frantically yanked down it seems.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

I imagine Malk will be taking his down as well since he's been wanting to as soon as he submitted it.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Congrats to Ebon on the shiny new death trophy too.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Any chance for second and third place designations? Curious to see if Wibbons placed. :-)

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Noticed Wibbons got featured (after I wrote this). :")

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Wibbons was terrible, and you should feel ashamed for supporting it.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Oh, God. I was hoping it would be a few more weeks before you 'noticed' me. :'(

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Aren't you a therapist? You might be just what Steve needs.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

The force is very strong with Steve. :-/ Not sure I am up for the challenge. 

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Well, consider yourself noticed, amigo.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Well I'm glad that's over. Congrats to Ebon.

But man, romance is boring. I must have lost interest in my own story about three pages in. This is probably the last time I write something that isn't either sci-fi, fantasy or horror. I just can't get in to these sort of modern stories. Hence why I went full BDSM with mine. It was the only way to hold my interest long enough to finish the story. I probably should have just written a fantasy story that had a romantic relationship in it. Hell, The Ghost People would probably count. Maybe I should have re-entered it ahah.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Honestly, you probably would have gotten a higher score from me had you made the protagonist a dom instead of a sub.

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago
Lol maybe next time. Still, how many stories end with someone in a court room throwing their panties at an evidence table? XD

Romance Contest Winner

6 years ago

Holy shit, I didn't realize this was up, lmao.

Anyway, congrats Ebon, you earned it.

Also @Digit still waiting for my review, cunt.