Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Shameless Storygame Demo Advertisement!

9 years ago

Well, after a couple of days writing stuff and fiddling around with variables, I made a new storygame! This one takes inspiration from "A Boy And His Dog" and the Fallout series. It's called Ash Winter. Well, I made a demo for it and it's published. Have fun!

9 years ago

This should be in the parlor room.

@JJJ-thebanisher

9 years ago

For once, he's not online. That's a new one.

9 years ago

Nope, I see him offline a lot xD I am normally on when he isn't.

9 years ago

Well, did you check out the story Brad? Oh, and you must be on a lot, because I never see 3J offline often!

9 years ago

I will soon.

9 years ago

Cool.

9 years ago

Yeah, I suppose Writing Workshop makes more sense now that the game is deleted.

9 years ago

Like I said in the comment of the storygame, six pages in barely even an excerpt, much less a demo. If you want to check out great demoes, check out When in Rome and Choice of Rebels on the Choiceofgames forums. Both are MASSIVE, and they're not even finished, yet. And the quality of both is fantastic. 

9 years ago

(-_(\

This isn't choiceofgames.com, this is chooseyourstory.com! First of all, I was to lazy, and second of all, I would alter the game for if you killed Max or spared him! Now, shut the fuck up about it being a short demo and being Fallout 3 clone!

And, yes the beginning is an exact copy of the beginning narration in Fallout 3. Get fucking used to it! There's a lot of stuff from Fallout in there as it is set in the same world, and has the same places! And, I even said in the description, and this very post that the storygame takes inspiration from Fallout 3!

9 years ago

Dude-

1. Really, you should consider your critics' words, not bash them for being honest.

2. Be more original. Ripping off video games is not the way to go.

3. Being lazy isn't a good thing, if you want to be a decent author you should work on yourself.

4. Six pages is more of a preview, not a demo.

9 years ago

I'm not ripping off the game, yes the beginning is similar, and the introduction is ripped straight from the Fallout 3 intro, but that's not ripping it off! There are 3 referenced characters and those are all of the referenced characters. The beginning is different, also, as I don't remember getting to kill a child in Fallout 3 (Trust me, I've played and beaten the game, and you can't kill ANY of the kids) . I'm not bashing him for being honest, I'm bashing him for saying it's a Fallout 3 clone when it only has references and the Pip-Boy 3000 from Fallout 3. I rest my fucking case, your honor!

9 years ago

You stole the intro from Fallout 3, that is plagiarism. Unless I have the word wrong, that is what it is.

9 years ago

(-_(\

You know what, fuck it. I'm taking the game down. I took a few paragraphs from a game and now I'm plagiarizing it. Fuck it, I'm not gonna finish it, either.

9 years ago

Good

9 years ago

Fuck you.

9 years ago

Chill the crap out man. 

9 years ago

I wasn't even going to have that intro in the first place! I thought it would be a nice introduction to the world, and now I'm "plagiarizing"! I wanted to make this, have people like it, get it published, and maybe have people actually like it! All my storygames have been shit so far, and now I make something I think would be good, and I borrow the intro for it, and everyone loses their minds! Fuck it. I'm not gonna complete it. I was gonna make sure I quote it and note that I got it from the game at the beginning. I'm sorry about the whole rage fit and saying fuck you, but you said goo because I was taking down I game that I wanted to be good!

9 years ago
If you wanted it to be good you should have made it good and not plagiarized another person's work :P

9 years ago

Fallout 3 is a fucking video game! I was gonna quote it, like I said, and I anything didn't take anything else from the game but the Pip-Boy 3000! Is it so bad I forgot to quote another person's work that it's considered plagiarizing it? Now, I took down the game, so now everyone should be happy!

9 years ago

YES THAT IS WHAT THE DEFINITION OF PLAGIARIZING IS!

*Ahem*

After reading it, you stole the intro fully, and you stole pretty much everything else but reworded some of it.

9 years ago

Only one part of the beginning, which was being born, was taken for the game, okay? And I didn't even take that word for word, I changed some of it. I took out the character creation. I wanted a game people would actually like, not that people would say is just a rip-off a great game! Now everyone just shut the fuck up and leave the fucking post! This is dead, the game is gone, and I just fucking quit!

9 years ago

I am pretty sure you stole the intro. Everything else was slightly reworded but it was all the same. And like I said, the game isn't completely gone.

9 years ago

Yes, for the last fucking time I did "steal" the intro! I was gonna quote it, but I forgot! Okay, now shut the fuck up about me stealing the intro!

9 years ago

FUCK IT ALL

9 years ago

Why would you steal an intro, why would you quote an intro, why would you plagiarise then moan at people critiquing you?

Quoting wouldn't have been much better.

9 years ago

Brad, I wanted to introduce the player to the world, in case they weren't familiar with it. Now the story is gone, an I am yelling at people for not knowing that. I'm done, I need a beer and some sex. I'm off to fucking Vegas to bang some fucking hookers and drink some fucking cheap beer!

9 years ago

Okay, first of all, the story is not gone. I literally have a link for it.

Secondly, that would of been fine, but you kinda said that this wasn't a fan fiction. And even if it was, most good fan fictions give a good introduction, they don't steal one.

9 years ago

Even if you quoted it, you'd still be plagiarizing, since plagirizsm applies as long as the author didn't give you permission to use the work you used.

9 years ago

Oh, yeah, Bethesda Softworks would give a shit if I used their intro in a storygame, that no one cares about! Bethesda Softworks is a company that's world renown, where as barely anyone in the world knows about this site!

9 years ago

Erm, that doesn't actually matter. 

9 years ago

Your argument is invalid.

I am sure that game is copyrighted, if it is, it is kinda illegal to steal there work. If it isn't, it is kinda unethical to steal there work.

9 years ago

" I thought it would be a nice introduction to the world, and now I'm "plagiarizing"" - Why are you using quotation marks? That is what defines Plagiarizing. Honestly, it  looked amazing but you blatantly stole it. If it was a Fan Fiction, I might of been a little less annoyed.

9 years ago

Plagiarizing something is proof that it would never have become good. 

9 years ago

You need to learn to create an emotional detachment to your work. No one will take you seriously if you bitch at every negative comment. Accept constructive criticism of your work and use it, to make your efforts better.

9 years ago

Calm. The FUCK. Down.

My god man, you're making it worse.

Seriously, if you're gonna make a game, expect feedback. If the feedback isn't good, look at it and try to improve.

Take this as a lesson against copying and move on. Stop raging.

Your 'demo' was six pages long, you didn't really make some historical landmark with that.

Chill, and move on.

9 years ago

If you don't have a thick skin enough to handle some criticism, especially when it's constructive, then you shouldn't be on the internet. 

9 years ago

I can handle criticism, but when you say it's a knock-off, I get pissed as fuck. I borrowed the intro, which I was gonna quote before I published the demo, but I forgot! Now that I took own the game, are you happy?

9 years ago

You clearly can't handle criticism, all of us gave you valid criticism and you got pissed at us. 

9 years ago

"All of us" is Cynical. And plus, I took down the story! I deleted it! The project is gone! My whole fucking dream of making a storygame that people would actually like is gone! Now, this whole fucking thread is dead, by order of me!

9 years ago

All of us is all of us. It was barely even your story to begin with. No one is going to praise you for stealing something if that is what you thought was going to happen.

And actually, the game isn't gone. 

9 years ago

You know, you're just making this more amusing.

9 years ago

Meh? No one's going to lie simply in order to satisfy your ego. You need to stop bitching at negative criticism. Accept it, and learn from it. If you don't do that, you will never improve.

9 years ago

Cynical has unlocked the "DREAM CRUSHER" Perk!

9 years ago

Too bad he's not as charismatic as Moira.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be an asshole. He just needs to stop bitching at every little thing.

9 years ago

Yeah, I know you're not.

Really the best thing 11302 could've done is just quietly take it down and re-write the story. Yelling at everyone was bound to cause more mockery.

9 years ago

@11302

9 years ago

Nice Fallout 3 reference, even though Cynical didn't crush my dream, I'll just remake it.

9 years ago

You could ask JJ to retrieve the game for you so you can heavily change it.

9 years ago

Nah, I'll rewrite it.

9 years ago

Does this mean you still want that character sketch?

9 years ago

Oh, yeah, thanks for doing that! Soooooo... Yes, can you please still draw it?

9 years ago

Haha, sure, why not? Just do your best making the story your own masterpiece and I'll be happy to draw you a few illustrations.

9 years ago

Alright, I'm renaming it Wanderers of The West (I don't like Ash Winter for some reason). I hope my dark and gritty humor and your excellent artwork can make it a masterpiece!

9 years ago

Huh... Wanderers of the West is actually a pretty good title.

9 years ago

Thanks, I hope it's better than the demo. Luckily I decided to skip the intro thing and take you right to the Capital Wasteland. Oh, no there are only a few references to Fallout in the game. Oh, and I made my own intro!

9 years ago

Why not just call it a fan fiction xD

9 years ago

They're only references, not a game based exactly off Fallout. It's in the same world, but it'll still (Hopefully) be better than Ash Winter. Oh, and here's the intro (If anyone cares):

War. War never changes.

In 2077, the world fell after years of armed conflict. In just 2 hours, the US and the rest of the world was scorched in fire and radiation. The world had ended at last.

But, after 40 years, humanity rose from vaults, giant underground shelters, and rebuilt a decent civilization. You were born in the Wasteland, and have learned to survive an conquer your enemies.

In your travels, you met a canine, he was loyal and hard working, and best of all, he was strong. In very strange cases, he has spoken to you, telepathically. You name your new companion, Bandit.

You and Bandit were wandering the wastes, when you hear a woman screaming for help, as ghouls attack her. Time to become a hero.

So, what did you think? Was it good? Bad? Do I need to go to an insane asylum?

9 years ago

"It's in the same world"- If it is in the same world or a parallel world, that sounds like a fan fiction to me. Your description also backs this statement up.

The description wasn't the best but it wasn't terrible either. I would explain the world a bit more but that is preference I suppose.

9 years ago

Okay, thanks for the feedback, I'll post the fixed one later!

EDIT: Here it is. It's not any better but it's a tiny bit longer!

War. War never changes.

In 2077, the world fell after years of armed conflict. In less than 2 hours, the US and the rest of the world was scorched in fire and radiation. People still sleeping in bed, pulled their heads under the sheets, thinking the atrocious pain was only a nightmare. Children cowered under their desks, as they disintegrated into nothing. The world had finally ended.

But, in the early days, before Armageddon, hundreds of thousands of souls were spared the horrors of the war. They took refuge in shelters known as "Vaults", which all had their own experiments, from being sealed forever, to having the residents being tortured with radiation. While the vault dwellers lay comfortably in their bed, the world slowly died, as radiation took it's toll on the people unfortunate enough to still be on the surface. 

After over 40 years, humanity rose from those vaults and rebuilt a decent civilization. You were born in the Wasteland, and have learned to survive and conquer your enemies.

In your travels, you met a canine, he was loyal and hard working, and best of all he was strong. In strange cases, he can speak to you in his mind. You name this dog Bandit.

You and Bandit were wandering the wastes, when you hear a woman screaming for help, as ghouls attack her. Time to become a hero.

9 years ago

^_^

9 years ago
I chuckled when I read this thread xD

9 years ago

Yeah....that kinda defines the word.

9 years ago

^Yep, assuming it is word for word.

9 years ago

Yeah, you're right. If he stole the introduction exactly, it's plagiarism.

9 years ago

The point of pointing out the CoG demos, is because no-one has ever publicly uploaded a demo like this, I don't think. Usually, if they want testing, like someone else said, what they do is give out the link to select individuals.

Taking inspiration from Fallout 3 is fine, in that you make the setting a post-apocolyptic wasteland, but copying it is lazy.

9 years ago

Okay 11302, I have told you before when I rated your first game. If you can't take criticism then you have already failed. You should of took what he said and listened to it. Cynical has a good point, personally, I would never release a demo on CYS when I could just post it in the parlor room with sneak preview on. If the intro is the exact copy of Fallout 3, then that is plagiarism if I am correct.

9 years ago

Are you kidding me? You made a game with an exact copy of a game, and are asking opinions on it?

What is wrong with you?

9 years ago

Is it deleted? I can't even find it now.

EDIT: Never mind, saw where he said, he took it down.

9 years ago

I still have the page open. :D

9 years ago

Ratings take thirty minutes to load in by the way. Also, is this a Fallout Fan Fiction?

9 years ago

This thread is GOLD! Fuck yeah. Man 11302xyz6 (whatever), you're hysterical! 10/10

9 years ago

xD

9 years ago

(-_(\

Great, now 3J is a part of this. I'm done.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Shut up, Brad, just SHUT THE FUCK UP! I'm tired of your shit! I did steal the intro and to my misfortune, I forgot to quote it! I didn't even want to ad the intro in the first place!

9 years ago

Why do you think quoting it would be a good idea? Quoting it would of been a slightly worse idea than just blatantly stealing it. If you didn't want the intro, then why not just take it out xD

I advise just looking at what went wrong, admitting it, then moving on. You have done the first two, now we both need to move on.

9 years ago

Man. You should call the police on the guy forcing you to write things you didn't want to write!

9 years ago

Hey guys, just wrote this paragraph. Rate it?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. ...

9 years ago

Fuck you... Just fuck you!

9 years ago

Wow! That is so good, Aman!

9 years ago

Thank you, I worked really hard on it. 

9 years ago

You should teach 11302xyz6 how not to plagiarize.

9 years ago

I dunno, it's almost impossible to avoid plagiarizing stuff.

9 years ago

... I hate my life. I'm off to Vegas again!

9 years ago

Nah, all you really need is a belt

9 years ago

Wouldn't he just be plagiarizing Scrappy?

9 years ago

Nah, he just needs to put it in quotes.

9 years ago

Who the fuck is Scrappy? 

9 years ago

Your demo.

9 years ago

9 years ago

I thought so, I still wish you guys would shut up about this.

9 years ago

We are not the ones who need to shut up, you need to. You need to remember what you did wrong, admit and apologize and then move on. This thread is bound to stay alive for as long as you keep replying and maybe even some after that.

9 years ago

This thread is gold. I'm bookmarking it. XD 

9 years ago

Fuck this. I snapped. I'm getting off the site forever. Remember my final words: "Fuck you. Fuck the site. Fuck the admins. And fuck my inability to write." Bye.

R.I.P. 11302 February 1, 2014 - July 22, 2014

9 years ago

Byai.

9 years ago

Ragequit?

*sigh*

9 years ago

Not a complete rage quit. He didn't delete the rest of his stories. (Yet)

9 years ago

Has anyone ever flipped out like this before? I haven't seen it so far...

9 years ago

Oh yes, you need to look at some of the old forum post. Some of those are very comical.

9 years ago

Ah, to be thirteen and still discovering the internet again.

Good times.

It's much more fun from this end of the mocking, I'll admit.

9 years ago

Poor 1234... he was barely six months old...

9 years ago

And so I punch coins in the face, as he is a complete douche. I rest my case, your honor.

9 years ago

Honor4Ever flipped out like all the time towards the end.

9 years ago

I think Honor hated me almost as much as this dude did.

9 years ago

He hated Drako even more. That's usually who he did most of his ranting at.

9 years ago

That's plagiarizing.

9 years ago

You win the internets.

9 years ago

Yay

9 years ago

Honestly, if you can't take criticism and spam threads with random shit. I don't think many people will care.

9 years ago
Best thread in the WW forum xD

9 years ago

I kinda feel bad for the kid.

..............still funny as hell though.

9 years ago
You have too much sympathy :P

9 years ago

You have too much authoritah.

9 years ago

Fuck.

9 years ago

And so I decide to come back after I calmed down. Well, I forgive all of you as I was being a complete douchebag. 

9 years ago

Lol. I knew it.

To be honest, I sort of got the impression you weren't even quite as mad as you were making out to be.

Protip for the internet though, the more you ask someone NOT to fucking do something, the more likely they are to fucking do it.

My advice is to let this thread fucking die and sink slowly to the bottom of the forum where it MIGHT be fucking forgotten.

EDIT: Well I guess not.

What is dead may never die.

9 years ago

Oh, hah hah. Fuck you.

9 years ago
Holy crap! That's a masterpiece! So original and beautifully written. it should be a storygame or at least a demo!

9 years ago

Oh, I have like, 5 books of this.

9 years ago
Wow that's crazy. I can't believe you filled five whole books with original content and beautiful writing. You should publish them as storygames - I think they'd be really good.

9 years ago

I think I should. But only if no one makes fun of my work. I worked really hard on it, so if anyone insults it, I will flip my shit.

9 years ago

You're a god of writing.

9 years ago

11302's last words:

"And I'll kill your parents, cut your dick off, and maybe have nice wine while I beat your corpse with a stick while your dog eats your face."

We shall remember you fondly.

9 years ago

Oh no, I'm back for good... Get used to me.

9 years ago

Alright then fall out boy.

9 years ago

His name isn't 'fallout boy', his name isn't 'pip boy', his name isn't 'that guy from fallout'. His name is Vault Fuckin' Boy (Just Vault Boy), and he's here to stay!

9 years ago

Vault Fuckin' Boy? I think that is a little too much information for me.

9 years ago

(-_(\

9 years ago

What you do when you're alone with a vault or even in the company of others with a vault is just something that should be kept to yourself. It just offends my delicate mind to hear about such things. 

9 years ago

Actually, he is called The Lone Wanderer.

In the Fallout previews, he was actually called Albert.

Soooo yeah.....

9 years ago

Yes, in my canceled project, the name was referencing the previews. And also, the image for my profile is of Vault Boy, not the The Lone Wanderer. The Lone Wanderer is a human, not a mascot for Vault-Tec.

9 years ago

For the record, your avvie looks like Tin-Tin had some hardcore pounding with Mr. Monopoly, but that's probably just me.

Btw, I didn't even spare you the point for your pile of shit excuse for a demo.  And no-fucking-no, I'm not giving advice for a transgender bitch like you.

9 years ago

Jesus, you're a bigger dick than coins! And that's saying something!

9 years ago

Except I don't...eh...hm...

...well, if the urethra doesn't stick out, it'd only be reasonable to say that I don't have one...

9 years ago

I'm just wondering, why were you being a jerk? Was it really that bad?

9 years ago
It was pretty horrible... :s

9 years ago

I knew that, but I've seen SwiftStryker rant about horribleness that much! Well, I don't give a shit, that idea's scrapped! Hopefully the new one will be better.

9 years ago

Because it's fun to bandwagon on a guy when all he says is "FUCK U ALLZ QWERTYFUXING HEIL!" without giving a damn good reason to.

Sorta like Animus_Alvin and Honor, but they were more tolerable

9 years ago

Rest in peace, Alvin and Honor. 

9 years ago

Okay, I think I get it now: Everyone thinks I'm a whiny baby that will be shot if he ever whines again. Gotcha.

9 years ago

9 years ago

This thread is an example of how things posted on the internet stay there!

(Unless you are an admin LOL)

9 years ago

This is just plain old depressing. You've had your final words, gtfo

9 years ago

@11302

Stealing from a game or book and using it in yours is fine as long as you give full credit to the company/creator(s), not copy&paste things from the game, and make it a Fanfiction story. Taking from their story and trying to make an original story from only you is plagarism.

But your taking all of this way to seriously and I will point in the direction of Fanfiction.net for you. Fanfiction is more welcomed there.

4 years ago

Mizal told me to bump this when I said I was gonna read it so I actually did it I'm an absolute madman.

TL;DR for this whole thread: I am fucking idiot.

4 years ago

And Quiller still sucks and was overrated.

4 years ago
no kidding. of all the threads to bring back this one is not good lol

4 years ago
Anyway while this is still a thing, figured I might as well say... I GOT A FEATURED STORY YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THAT POSTED IN THIS THREAD FIVE YEARS BACK! SUCK IT, I CAN WRITE! HOES MAD (X24) EDIT: I would like to clarify I am actually well over this thread and admit some of the roasts (see: Swift's that Mizal posted, Aman's with the Bible passage, etc.) are funny as fuck in hindsight. Plus the way I overreacted and had a meltdown was hilarious. E2: Actually nah fuck you guys I got a featured fantasy story, suck my cock

4 years ago
"For the record, your avvie looks like Tin-Tin had some hardcore pounding with Mr. Monopoly, but that's probably just me.

Btw, I didn't even spare you the point for your pile of shit excuse for a demo. And no-fucking-no, I'm not giving advice for a transgender bitch like you."

....I'm in awe. @Swiftstryker needs to come back and help train the new generation, we're all going soft.

4 years ago
You need to write down what happened in this thread and turn it into a book. This shit needs to be immortalized and used to initiate new members to the CYS community.
Also the moment I found out this thread was about you deserves a place in my "Top 10 Anime Betrayals" list.

4 years ago

Wow, I am blessed by this being the first forum thread I read since joining this group 5 minutes ago.  Such a sweet journey.  I laughed at and wept for everyone involved.  And I feel like a better person now having coming through to the other side.  Older, scarred, yes, but wiser and more authentically myself.  I am way too nice for this crowd.

Love and kisses.

4 years ago
Users today can't understand the hardships and challenges faced in 2014. We were a site under siege by an army of idiotic ten year olds and these brave men and women (and other, different, idiotic ten year olds...) were on the front lines, making the hard decisions. At any rate, fast forward five years, and Chris turned out surprisingly well. Trial by fire works wonders on those it doesn't destroy.

4 years ago
Mizal, you were barely around for 2014.

4 years ago
FOR A GOOD REASON