Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Thread for editors / play-testers

9 years ago

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where anybody who wants to offer help with editing or play-testing can advertise their servies and outline what exactly they'd be willing to do. This thread can also be a general discussion thread on the topic of editing.

If you want to advertise yourelf as an editor, please post here detailing:
- any conditions you have for a storygame. (e.g. no horror stories, only authors with at least one featured game)
- what you'd be willing to do when editing or play-testing. Will you go through every aspect of a storygame or just a simple spelling, punctuation and grammar check?
- how you'd like to be contacted regarding a request for editing or play-testing. (PMs or tags?)
- anything you'd like in return for editing or play-testing. (e.g. edit one of my storygames, credit me in your description as an editor)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please be aware that this thread is not the right place if you want to get your storygame edited or play-tested. The thread for that is here.

9 years ago

I, 31TeV, would like to offer up my services as an editor/play-tester/proofreader.

I have one condition for a storygame edit request: put a decent amount of effort into your storygame. I don't want to have to read through something terrible.

I'm willing to do anything except help with scripting, which I'm not too knowledgable on. So just let me know whether you want me to do some simple proofreading or every aspect of the game including testing for bugs and continuity errors. I will also provide general feedback on the storygame (i.e. is it fun and how could it be improved) if you want. I like to think I'm a slow but thorough editor.

Please contact me via PMs.

In return for editing and/or play-testing one of your storygames, I'd like to be credited as appropriate in its description.

Please note that I might have other commitments so I'm not always free to help.

Please DO NOT reply to this post.

9 years ago

I am willing to alpha/beta read, playtest, proofread, debug, edit, etc. I'm a published writer (albeit as a tech writer, not yet for fiction) and have done a fair bit of editing for writerly friends and family. 

Just PM me and let me know what you've got, and what kind of feedback you're interested in.

No zombie stories, please! And I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to give me feedback on something I'm working on in return. ^_^

DO NOT REPLY, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

9 years ago

I would love to edit and test any of your games.  I only have one condition, and that is that the story I am editing and/or testing, is that it must have been well-worked on.  I will be willing to help with grammar and spelling while editing, and when I test, I will give an honest opinion.

I don't really expect anything in return.

You can contact me by PMs.

Any way, good luck with your writing!

9 years ago

I'm willing to help edit or play-test pretty much any storygame, although I'll probably put more effort into storygames that the author has obviously put more effort into as well.

If you would proofreading for either spelling/grammar or story continuity, just let me know how detailed you'd like the review to be. I'm willing to help out with overall themes, writing, and scripting as well, although I'm not nearly as well-versed in scripting as I would like to be. Drop me a PM or tag me in a thread you want to discuss the storygame in, although PMs will be more reliable for getting ahold of me.

I don't think I can edit more than one or two storygames at the same time though, so I might turn you down if I'm already working on a different storygame for someone else.

In return, please do your best to make it a great storygame!

9 years ago

I don't always have a lot of free time, but I am willing to critique your game for proper grammar and logical flow.  I will only make suggestions, however, and will do no actual editing.  That, I'll leave to the author.

Give me credit or not, it doesn't matter.  What I'm more concerned with is the quality of story-games on CYS.  Bad stories reflect poorly on us as a whole.