Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Werewolves & Magic motivational thread-with others

9 years ago

I am totally not stealing Briar's or Quiller's or Kiel's or Tanstaafl's idea by making my own motivational thread. Nope. Not a chance. In no way am I stealing their idea. *guilty look*

So, I am determined to continue working on my storygames that had recently fallen into hiatus status. Werewolves an' magic, Hell storm, and Voice of a Madman. I've make them all viewable with having the sneak peak open. They shall no longer be neglected or forgotten. 

My goal? Get as many pages done as possible with my limited amount of time on the computer. 

I would appreciate it if someone could proof-read what I've done on a regular basis and tell me if anything needs fixing or if they have any suggestions on what to include/delete.

I will update my progress as much as possible.

Hell Storm is the storygame that will be the grim/dark type storygame and you can end up in a very high position of power. But with power comes responsibility, and consequences for everything you do. 

Voice of a madman is the storygame that will hopefully get increasingly more and more funny with the 'conversations' you have with the main character as the voice in his head, while being dark with what happens.

Werewolves an' Magic is my over-dramatic, hopefully slightly funny, slightly serious-ish storygame.

9 years ago

Voice of a madman sounds like a lot of fun--though, if you couldn't tell, that's because I have a weakness for dark humor. I'm afraid that while the contest is going, I'll need as much focus on my game as I can spare, but as soon as it's finished, I'd be happy to set aside some time to help you proof-read, Taco.

9 years ago

I can help you with the proofreading in my spare time.

All three storygames sound interesting, I'd like to see how they turn out when they're done.

9 years ago

The 1st and 2nd person mix in werewolves and magic is really annoying. I recommend using only one, probably 2nd person (you, you're).

9 years ago

Yeah, I was going to go through and fix that. I've already done a few sections where that happened. Do you think you could tell me each page when it switches to second person?

9 years ago

The only one I remember is the "what's happening" page.

9 years ago

Okay. I believe that was the page James worked on. I'll go fix it.

Edit: One of the backstory pages are fixed, but the other, I'm waiting for James to take off the (J) on so I know he's not working on it anymore.

9 years ago

Cool, if you need a co-author/editor, shoot me a PM.

9 years ago

I apologize, but I removed myself from the co-author list. I'm also sorry for the change in perspective, but, at the time, we were in debate over which one we would go with.

9 years ago

The apologizing fox strikes again.

9 years ago

He strikes hard and fast. With dignity. 

9 years ago

Update:

I have the first couple pages on Voice of a Madman, and Hell Storm done, and a few pages edited on Werewolves an' Magic.

Voice of a madman: 4/? - started      3/? - finished

Hell Storm: 14/? - started      8/? - finished

Werewolves an' Magic: 51/? - started      32/? - finished

Hell Storm motivational thread - with others

9 years ago

Alright. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna enter the contest. My entry? Hell Storm.

9 years ago

What's it about?

9 years ago

The moon is gone. Chaos rages everywhere. The tides are irregular, earthquakes are more frequent, storms are longer and harsher.

And I'm going to say no more. You'll have to read it yourself when it's done.

9 years ago
Great! Sounds like a slightly different sort of apocalypse than most.

Make sure you PM your intent to enter to Madglee.

74TeV

9 years ago

TeV is right, and you'd better hurry, because the deadline for entering is almost up.

9 years ago

I already pm-ed madglee before I posted that I was entering the contest.

9 years ago

I read what you have up on it. It's a pretty good intro so far. I'm glad to hear you'll be entering it in the competition. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will develop.

9 years ago

I'll do my best. Can't promise anything, and I know that it definitely won't be first place, but it doesn't hurt to try, right?

9 years ago

If the moon is gone there wouldn't be tides...

9 years ago

There would be tides. Tides are from both the moon and the suns gravitational pull, if I understand my science teacher correctly. And because there is no moon to contradict the suns gravitational pull on the tides, the tides would theoretically become massively high during the day and extremely low during the night, or just really erratic. 

9 years ago

Actually upon looking it up, the opposite would be true. There wouldn't be as much of a difference between high and low tide.

9 years ago

Really? Hmmm.....

9 years ago

If the moon got closer to earth, then what you described would happen.

9 years ago

Good luck taco.

9 years ago

Good luck with your own story tan. Can't wait to see it completed. :)

9 years ago

Good luck!

I bet your storygame will blow mine out of the water. :)

9 years ago

I'll try. :) 

9 years ago

Voice of a Madman is starting to sound ridiculous. -_- I'm going to redo that after the contest.

9 years ago
But surely the things a madman says would be ridiculous?

9 years ago

Have you looked at it? It's horrifyingly ridiculous instead of just hilarious.

9 years ago

You sounded like tasteless EndMaster, I swear.

At the same time though, you probably shouldn't just delete stuff left and right, as opposed to just modifying and diverting your current options to new paths (be them mundane or interesting). Just saying.

9 years ago

What do you mean? From what I've heard, he is the writing god of this site. How could I compare to that?

I'm not going to delete it, just change the storyline to something more interesting. I'm going to keep Jane too. I can definitely find ways for that to be amusing.

Hell Storm motivational thread-with others

9 years ago

Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only two days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 4 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 14/? - started      8/? - finished

9 years ago

Does this sound okay? I'm not sure weather or not the 'No one can out run memories' is annoying or adds to the dramatic effect.

Running. Always running, never stopping. Never succeeding, always failing.

No one can out run memories.

They are always there, at the edge of your mind. They are always haunting.

The bad drowning out the good, and the good forgotten.

9 years ago
I really like it! I said before in Morgan's writing exercises that you have an excellent writing style, and I'll say it again.

The repeating line could work or not, but it depends on the context. I mean, where is this passage going to be, exactly? Is it in the opening pages/description? Is it somewhere in your main story? If it's a small part of a section where this one line is repeated even more times, it could get tiresome. If it's just this on its own like this, then I think it works great.

9 years ago

It's the begging to this passage. (I didn't copy the whole thing, just two additional paragraphs.)

Running. Always running, never stopping. Never succeeding, always failing.

They are always there, at the edge of your mind. They are always haunting.

The bad drowning out the good, and the good forgotten.

With tear blurred eyes, Kell kept on running, ignorant of the dark splinters of burned earth underfoot, or of the biting coldness in the air. He had been running ever since Sofer's death, ever since he put up a tombstone over her empty grave, trying to get as far away from the site as humanly possible. He tried to out run memories, but no one has ever succeeded in doing so.

With a yell, he put his hands out to ward off the ground coming up to meet him as he fell, exhausted. Panting, he got up on his knees, and then unsteadily rose to his feet, and looked around, blinking away the tears from his eyes.

9 years ago
In that case I think this works fine.

9 years ago

Okay. I'll go and get to writing more on Hell Storm now. 

9 years ago

Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only two days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 4 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 19/? - started      11/? - finished

It would have been 11 pages done, but after an hour of writing, when I tried to save that last page, it came up as an error and didn't save a word on it so......

Edit: Finally got to re-write it. 

9 years ago

Do you guys like the idea of have 'memory' pages in Hell Storm?

Elaboration of my question. May contain spoilers.

I have two main paths so far, and through one, there are bitter memories that lead to Kell pushing everyone away after Sofer's death. The other has joyous memories that lead to him attaching himself to the person he meets after wards.

The ironic part, is that in the path that has Kell pushing people away, the meaning of the person he's pushing away is 'friend', while in the other path where he clings to someone for support after Sofer's death, the meaning of his name is 'betrayer'.  

9 years ago

Very good, very good.

9 years ago

Which part? The idea of having memories? Or something in the spoilers?

9 years ago

I mean your use of language and imagery. To be honest, the perspective still throws me off a little.

9 years ago

blush 

The perspective thing is still more of an experiment that might give me an edge in the contest just because it's something no one else has tried on this site before. (that I know of)

The memories are meant to be something to just try and portray the innocence of what Kell used to be, and to make the reader wonder how he changed. A hint at what he can do,  to keep the reader going. Just little tidbits to make the reader be able to relate to the character more, stuff like that.

9 years ago

Hmm...well...I enjoy new ideas, so if you can get the "blended perspectives" thing to work then more power to you.

9 years ago

I can feel the power! *evil cackle* XD

9 years ago

Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only two days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 3 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 20/? - started      12/? - finished

I.... am failing miserably at staying focused on writing for long periods of time. As a result, I've gotten only 12 pages written in five days. That's a little more than a page a day. Damn you A.D.D.

Does anyone know when madglee is coming back on?

9 years ago

12/5 = a little more than page? You gotta give yourself more credit.

9 years ago

2.4 pages per day.

9 years ago

Sorry. Brain fuzzed. 

9 years ago

Can someone size this down a bit? To about 3/4 of that size would be perfect. I can't figure out how to do it. It's supposed to be the engravement for Sofer's tombstone over her empty grave.

Sofer Astinan.jpg

9 years ago
Sure.

9 years ago

Thank you.

9 years ago

That's rather cool.

9 years ago

Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only two days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 3 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 21/? - started      13 (and two different halves)/? - finished

I have a chapter finished, a chapter almost finished, and two chapters in various stages of starting. I should be able to finish the other two halves of pages today. Maybe a start a third. And I apologize for the missing update in the last two days.

9 years ago
Yay! Keep it going.

9 years ago

Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only 10 days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 3 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 24/? - started      17/? - finished

I have a chapter finished, a chapter almost finished, and two chapters in various stages of starting.

Arg. My average number of pages done a day keeps on falling. That may be because I've been working on illustrating my characters instead of writing. >_>

9 years ago
Update:

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only 11 days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 2 pages done a day on that.

Hell Storm: 25/? - started 19/? - finished

I have a chapter finished, a chapter almost finished (just two more pages of memories!), and two chapters in various stages of starting.

9 years ago

Pardon my asking, but are you still working on W&W?

9 years ago
If you count drawing pictures of the main characters in my free time off the computer as working on it, then yes. I haven't actually written anything for it since I entered the contest.

9 years ago

Yeah, I don't blame you. If I was in a contest, I would definitely suspend any and all current projects until my entree is one-hundred percent...

... Which is why I haven't entered it. But hypothetically, I would work in the same manner. I'm sure all the other entrants are same.

Good luck with your projects, I can't wait to play all of these contest games!

9 years ago
Some people are crazy and working on multiple things at once as well as the contest.

9 years ago

I have to say, even though W&W and Voice of a Madman are virtually on hold, the progress on Hell Storm is looking good.

9 years ago

Have you read it yet?

9 years ago

Not recently. I was commenting more based on the progress than anything. I may have the time and chance to read it some time this weekend, though.

9 years ago

Wait, isn't it already the weekend?

9 years ago

So it is. >.<

I mean, some time today or tomorrow. Not too sure when exactly since I have two birthdays to work around.

9 years ago

Is this too long to put on a page?

The lights go out all around me
One last candle to keep out the night
And then the darkness surrounds me
I know I'm alive but I feel like I've died
And all that's left is to accept that it's over
My dreams ran like sand through the fists that I made
I try to keep warm but I just grow colder
I feel like I'm slipping away

Please, no. 

After all this has passed, I still will remain
After I've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain
Though it won't be today, someday I'll hope again
And there'll be beauty from pain
You will bring beauty from my pain

Beauty can never come from pain. 

My whole world is the pain inside me
The best I can do is just get through the day
When life before is only a memory
I'll wonder why God lets me walk through this place
And though I can't understand why this happened
I know that I will when I look back someday
And see how you've brought beauty from ashes
And made me as gold purified through these flames

Ashes are just a remnant of something long lost, they can never be made to be beautiful.
Flames can only destroy. 

After all this has passed, I still will remain
After I've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain
Though it won't be today, someday I'll hope again
And there'll be beauty from pain
You will bring beauty from my pain

There is no beauty in this world. Just suffering.
There is no hope. Just death.

Here I am at the end of me 
Tryin' to hold to what I can't see
I forgot how to hope
This night's been so long
I cling to Your promise
There will be a dawn

There is no hope, and there will be no dawn.

9 years ago
Depends on the length of the other pages in your game, but going off of rule of thumb, no, it's not too long. It's not something that could be broken down into paths, so it's best left as one page.

9 years ago

Rule of thumb?

9 years ago
There is an old law that a man can beat his wife with a stick, if certain conditions are met. One of them is that the stick must be no wider than his thumb.

Basically, "rule of thumb", as it is used today, refers to a general guideline that isn't authoritative but often produces desirable results when followed.

9 years ago

Yikes. 

9 years ago
Yes, also freaky is that sodomy (even man-woman anal or oral) is still illegal in certain counties here in Arkansas. And, there's still a law on the books in Little Rock that forbids you from walking your cow across the Main street bridge after noon on Sunday.

9 years ago

What? It's illegal to walk your cow across the Main street bridge after noon on Sunday? What kind of rule is that?

9 years ago
There's also a law in Texas, stating that if two trains meet each other on the tracks, they both must stop until the other one passes.

9 years ago

An eternal standstill.

9 years ago

Exactly. XD

And I can give you a few bullshit laws that are still enforced to this day.

9 years ago

Like what?

9 years ago
Well, for one, if someone was to come up to your house and shoot your dog, you would only be able to sue them for "property damage" up to what you paid for the dog. Can't even go for IIED or anything, at least, according to my Legal Environment of Business instructor (and she has a JD, so I trust her to know her shit). Of course, some people would just gut that person with a KA-Bar instead of taking them to court. XD

9 years ago

XD

It seems as though we have derailed this thread quite a bit. >_> 

Back on topic! Hmmm......How to get this thing back on topic......I gots it! I believe you've read some of Hell Storm (based on your unease about the blended perspectives) , but I'm wondering how much of it you've read. Do you have any suggestions for it?

9 years ago
I haven't read any farther since we last spoke about it.

9 years ago

That was 10+ days ago I think. I have more then twice the number of pages then that up right now. Now, I've begun to even things out and have an actual story line. 

9 years ago

Link?

9 years ago

?

9 years ago

9 years ago

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only 12 days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 2 pages done a day on that. Which means I'm four pages behind schedule. 

Hell Storm: 27/? - started 20/? - finished 

I have a chapter finished, a chapter almost finished (just two more pages of memories!), a chapters just starting, and a chapter mid way through being done. 

Chapters are based on different sections. Prolauge, the section of memories, and then where Kell meets with other people and have a conversation, and so on.

9 years ago
Go Taco! You're making good progress.

9 years ago

Good luck on your own story too. :)

9 years ago

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but I've got quite a bit done on Hell Storm, considering the fact that I made it only 15 days ago. I'm aiming for an average of 2 pages done a day on that. Which means I'm nine pages behind schedule. 

Hell Storm: 27/? - started 21/? - finished 

I have a chapter finished, a chapter almost finished (just one more page of memories!), a chapters just starting, and a chapter mid way through being done. 

I apologize for being so late in updating. 

9 years ago

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing. I'm aiming for an average of 2 pages done a day on Hell Storm. Which means I'm Ten pages behind schedule. 

Hell Storm: 27/? - started 22/? - finished 

I need to find another system to keep me going on my writing. My progress is gradually declining, and that isn't good with the contest deadline looming in 52 days (according to james' countdown clock thingy).

I apologize if my calculations are a bit off due to me being rather sleepy even though it's only 5:30, but at this rate if I stayed steady and didn't miss a day a writing, I'd get somewhere in the neighborhood of a total of 85-ish pages done by the deadline, which is alot less then I know I should get to finish writing the storygame. 

I know that It'll take at least a couple hundred pages to finish this, and 85 is no where near that. 

9 years ago

It's alright, it's ok, you can do it anyway!

9 years ago

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing.

I'm changeing my goal: Either 2+ pages done in a day, or 5+ pages planned in a day. Or 1 page done and 3 planned.

Hell Storm: 31/? - started  23/? - finished 

9 years ago

As long as you write something.yes

9 years ago

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing.

Hell Storm: 32/? - started  24/? - finished -- And a bunch of variables that will affect future dialog and emotion conveyed in the story. 

I have not met my new goal yet, but I still have an hour left! 

9 years ago
Umm...if you don't meet that deadline, I'll...umm...give you parvo.

9 years ago

Parvo?

9 years ago
Oh, damn, you don't have your wolf pic anymore. I really should've noticed that. :(

9 years ago

Is that better?

9 years ago
Yes. Now, do as I say.

9 years ago

XD I was just writing a scene with a similar quote...

'Citroir grins triumphantly. "Great. Now follow me."

"Where?" Kell replies. He wasn't about to follow someone he had just met without knowing where first.'

9 years ago

I'm two hours late, but I finished two pages and have three more planned today. Now, what the heck it a 'parvo'?

9 years ago
I would Wikipedia link it for you, but it's honestly so awful, I'm afraid I would cry. It's a virus that affects practically all members of the family Canidae. Very deadly.

9 years ago

Well then. What a lovely present. Surely I do not deserve such a fantastic thing, especially since I did not quite meet the deadline. Go ahead and keep it, I have no need for it. 

9 years ago
*Coughs on and rubs all over TacocaT (but not in an explicitly perverted manner)*

9 years ago

*dies* Well, I suppose I can't finish my contest story now can I?

9 years ago
It's alright, there are plenty of gifted writer's in the wolf Hell afterlife.

9 years ago

But If I cannot enter the contest here, then I don't have the chance of getting the shiny trophy!

9 years ago
Yeah, I guess so. Plus, all they have in wolf Hell are a bunch of semis and angry farmers. But, hey, it beats dog Hell, which is an empty plane with a single couch. If you try to get on the couch, as soon as you start to fall asleep, someone spritzes you or beats you with a roll of newspaper. You also can't stray too far from the couch, because of a ring of vacuum cleaners that surrounds it.

9 years ago

*dies from depression in hell* Where do I go now?

9 years ago
You get reincarnated. Now, would you prefer "AIDS baby" or "Fox kit in a den that's about to get fumigated"?

9 years ago

Neither. 

9 years ago
You have no choice; you have to choose.

9 years ago

I choose to be a wolf in a protected national park.

9 years ago
AIDS baby it is, then.

9 years ago

I did not choose that. What has happed to the freedom of the US!?

9 years ago
This is the metaphysical universe. The US and other pathetic human nations mean nothing to it. Well, that and you're not a human, so you have no rights.

9 years ago

I still choose to be a wolf in a protected national park. I can be more stubborn then a mule when it comes to these things.

9 years ago
Fine, I'll let you be a wolf...with AIDS.

9 years ago

Well, I probably won't live long enough for that part to affect me.

9 years ago
That's a dismal outlook on life.

9 years ago

In the wild, wolves only live to be just over 6 years is it? 8 maybe? Something like that. 

9 years ago
At least they have laws protecting them.

9 years ago

But not from other wolves who fight over territory. 

9 years ago
Hmm...that's right. Wolf fights are pretty brutal.

9 years ago

Ug. My mom saw my grades and banned me from the computer for a couple days until I get them to at least C's, or preferably B's. I'm sneaking in an hour now while she's at work. I also managed to do a little in twenty minutes a day on the school computer at lunch. So...

Update: 

No progress done on W&W, and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing. <- This is probably going to be up there for a while.

Hell Storm: 35/? - started  26/? - finished

9 years ago

:P No slacking in school...! (And sneaking around can get you in more trouble than lousy grades if you're not careful.)

That said, grats on your progress, just remember that RL > CYS.

9 years ago

I was getting bad grades before I started on Hell Storm. >_> I don't particularly care about school that much.

I know how to be carful. My sister let me on, so I can say that I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be on before doing (insert chore, or homework), and only suffer a death glare, a lecture, and maybe a week long grounding that my mom will forget about if I don't ask to be on the computer or for anything special for a day or two.

I done this before, and it works quite well, except for my grades this time, this time it's taking her a little while longer to cool down her temper.

9 years ago

=\ ... Not to sound like your typical grown-up, but you will care later, especially if you slack off in the next five years. School is how a lot of places, jobs, and individuals gage your potential in the adult world.

If you want to be able to pick and choose what you do later in life ... well, either you need to be gifted, lucky, or you're going to get to a point in your life where you'll need to get serious about it. The economy is not always very forgiving to people without a proper education and college is a lot kinder to students with good grades. (Like the scholarship I received, for example.) 

Aaaanyway, old fart type lectures aside, I see, I see. Good luck on your story progress.

9 years ago

I would care more about school if it was actually challenging and interesting. I have bad grades because I just don't want to waste time on it. Don't people always regret not doing more with their youth? Why waste it on something you don't want to do, or something that is boring?

Or because it's history. No one has told me a reasonable explanation on why history is important yet. Don't people say things like the 'past is gone and done and you can't change it' or 'don't look to the past, look to the future'? I know that we are supposed to learn about their mistakes and make sure we don't do it our selves, but I don't see how fallen nations relates to what is happening today, or what we're supposed to do about it.

I've told my math teacher several times that I'll put some effort into it when it gets challenging and actually requires effort. The only reason why I have a C+ in that class while turning in no homework, is because I get all my class work done, and get a 100% on almost all my tests and a 96% on three of them because I forgot to either show my work, or my mild case of dyslexia (I think that's what it's called) kicked in and I had gotten a few numbers switched around.

Also, I plan on either being an artist, a musician, an author, or a combination of the three as my job. 

Edit: I'm ranting aren't I? Sorry. >_>

9 years ago

BK ... please listen, I may not expect you to understand this, because I never would've at your age, but this IS that thing people wished they'd done more of in their youth: learn. Now, I'm not saying that having fun isn't important, but the experience you acquire now matters. Your education isn't a waste, it is what will define your future, and what has defined the future of everyone I've met in my lifetime.

O_o ... What? No. Seriously. What? You're asking why history is important and you actually want to be an artist? Are you kidding? History is the story of EVERYTHING, history is the record of humanity. Our fears, our dreams, our sorrows, our worst crimes and our biggest triumphs.

I loved history BECAUSE I wanted to be a writer! I wanted to learn as much as I could about the world and how it came to be and why it works the way it works now, because the better you truly understand something, the better you can recreate and imagine it. Do you have any idea how many, many best-selling book series are based on our history and how many pieces of incredible art are based on our past? ALL OF THEM! xD

... Everything you see today has its place in history. If you want to make an entirely new world, fine. But if you want anyone to take you seriously at all as a world builder, as a writer, and as an artist, you need to know your own world first. I write as a hobby and I still do research on a daily basis for everything I write because I need to know what I'm talking about, but my knowledge of history has been just as important to me as my knowledge of English lit.

(It's called "dyscalculia," not dyslexia.) You want challenging math home-work? THEN GET BETTER GRADES. My little sister is your age, she had the same problem. When she started making straight As, they started putting her in advanced classes. This ... is basically the entire concept I'm trying to explain here: Prove you can excel at this and you'll get a shot at what you -want- to do.

As per your plans: First, musicians and writers are both considered artists. Second, why on earth do you think we have schools for music, art, and literature? >_>' If you want to be taken seriously as an artist (as in, if you want a real shot at making money on it,) then college is your best bet.

You know "Lady Gaga"? I don't care if you love her or hate her, but she is one of the most iconic musicians of our time at the moment. She also went to school for music. Wearing a stupid looking outfit and prancing around on stage only got her so far, she needed actual, polished talent to do what she does. Talent is innate. Polishing, on the other hand, comes from training and education. You're a smart kid, Taco. You are also a talented kid, but if you do not find people who can teach you to hone your talent, it'll mean nothing.

Besides ... you may not be able to make it as any one of those things by itself. Playing an instrument / singing, writing, and creating art are considered hobbies for many people for a reason. They do not pay well. I can show you websites if you want, but... lemme break it down for you:

Nearly every single aspiring writer in existence makes exactly 0 dollars per year. The average self-published author makes anywhere from 1 dollar to 999 dollars per year. 46.1% (less than half, mind you,) of published writers make anywhere from 1 dollar to 5,000 a year and the rest make about 1-999 bucks like the second group.

If that sounds like a lot to you, you need an economics course, because by the calculations I have, the average person on a budget who is fairly lucky needs roughly $20,000 a year minimum. Um. Yeah. No. You're about 15k short of making it there, sport, and that's if your odds are good.

You know Stephanie Meyer? Twilight may be trash, but she is now one of the most well recognized authors of our time? You wanna know how she did it? ... I can tell you, and it has nothing to do with sparkly blood-suckers, though I admit that she managed to put out the vampire love scene hook at an exceptionally convenient time. No, actually, it's because she's a house wife. She's not relying on her writing as her job because she already has someone paying the bills and buying food for her. It's not a career, it's a fun little "break" from cooking and cleaning that she just so happened to get absurdly lucky on.

If you want to be Stephanie Meyer, great. Go find a guy (or girl, I ain't judgin') with a stable and well paying job who is willing to support you when you get older, then write until you are able to make a hit series. But if you want to be independent / choose to marry purely for love, not money, and not have to work another job just to feed yourself, the "arts" are one of the hardest ways to actually make a buck and if you want to be taken seriously, you really have to work hard.

(Ranting? Like what I just did now, but shorter? I wouldn't worry about that. :P )

9 years ago

Never heard of 'lady gaga'. Who would choose a name like that anyway?

If twilight books are trash, then why do people read them? Why are there Edward and Jacob fanatics, and why did they go through all the work to make a movie out of it?

As far as I know, all a writer needs is a laptop and food/water/a source of warmth if they want to publish. Laptop to write with, because just a pad of paper and a pen isn't going to cut it when you want to publish. Food/water/a source of warmth for obvious reasons. Internet connection can be achieved by going to a Mc. Donalds. Or just have it typed on word. You don't necessarily need a roof over your head; it's a luxury most people can afford. A nice thick coat and a pair of snow pants will do just fine in some places for winter. Though of course you'd have to have a place for the laptop to be kept safe and not exposed to water or some other thing that may destroy it along with work saved on it. So I guess the list of needed things would be a laptop/food/water/source of warmth/and a water proof place to keep the laptop in the rainy weather.

As far as I know, all an artist needs is a place to store their musical items or art supplies, a way to copyright it so you can get paid for what you did, and again, food/water/a source of warmth. 

Houses are a luxury. Completely clean water is a luxury. An abundance of food is a luxury. What about people in Nicaragua who survive without clean water or lots of food? They live and have jobs, even if they can't afford to get a laptop to write on, or musical/art supplies to use.

You say that history is important? I can see how the history of art, great writers, musicians is useful. It actually does effect things in the present if we know about that type of thing.

What about the history lessons that dominate most of class? Those great nations that have fallen? How does that affect us today? They are just stories of people long gone. The only way I see them as being important is having them as an example to people who want to get involved in influencing things in politics so they can call up an example to either support or oppose a claim, but that isn't absolutely needed. It might be used in war to see where people went wrong in the past. But not everyone is going to be a commander in war, or a someone trying to sway opinion in politics. Why not wait to teach this until the person shows interest in that kind of thing?

Fictional stories have a possibility to give some moral or some lesson to heed, just as real history does. So perhaps it is because the way they teach history that make it monotonous and boring. Either they drone on and on about it in a way that makes it really hard to stay awake to listen to, or they blather on and on and make it seem not serious and speak too fast for anyone to catch more then every other word they say.

Well, I suppose there is another thing the history of fallen nations can teach; how to lead a revolution, and mistakes people have made while doing it in the past. If you can find something that includes their mistakes. History would be a bit more useful if we didn't have to worry about who was telling about it, what they left out, or if history wasn't just made by the winning side of a war or successful revolution. 

There are things that are written about the most horrendous crimes, telling nothing about how that person might have done something good, or had the 'right' motives but the 'wrong' choice of action. And again, it is always written by the winners who tried to convey just how awful an enemy they were, or just how hard it was to defeat them, almost never taking into account that maybe the enemy was correct, that maybe, just maybe, they the successful people were wrong.

History is full of lies, little white lies, lies about how things actually happened, lies through omission of parts of the truth. It gives false glory in some places, where the difference between 'good' and 'bad' was a bit blurred, but people choose to ignore what they did wrong and focused on how great this historical figure was, or vise versa with people ignoring the 'good' someone did and focusing on just how wrong they were to oppose the system they have set up.

What are the point of grades? To tell you that you have been a good little girl for relaying back information they already know? To tell them that this little girl is a smart little thing, so she can get privileges like getting to work on something harder, and being pushed to the limits? Or perhaps the privilege of getting some place of power, as a teacher, as a congress person, as a recognized scientist, or as something else? Is it to tell people that they need to keep an eye on this thing so it doesn't break the power structure of this world they've made? Is it just some numbers and letters on a computer that are going to be lost and forgotten in a few months, maybe a couple years? What is the point of having grades?

Edit: Dang it. I spent almost my entire hour on the computer typing this.

9 years ago

Someone who is currently worth 115 million dollars. You want to be a musician, but you don't know one of the most famous singers out there right now? Do you live under a rock? 0.o

... I guess you're too young to understand the motivations of the twilight fans. That's good.

That isn't enough to get published ... nor is that enough to maintain a laptop, loitering in a McDonalds for too long without paying for something can get you arrested, and no, that isn't enough to make money as an artist... and do you really intend to live like a homeless person?

If I were you, I wouldn't talk about the 'ease' of living in a third world country if I hadn't actually done it. If you wanna go live there and find out what it's like for yourself, you're welcome to, but I've seen enough to be glad about being here.

You wanna know "what about" people who live without clean water? Again, that's something you'll find out in school, but if you're eager for an answer: Go look up Arsenicosis, Cholera, Fluorosis, Guinea worm disease, Intestinal worms, Malaria, Schistosomiasis, Trachoma, and Typhoid fever. -_-'

You wanna spout platitudes like 'don't look to the past, look to the future', and ignore 'those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it'? Yeah, I blame your teachers and your textbooks in part that you find it boring, but no one can make you care. I took the time to do extra research and to find more accurate accounts.

Your grades are a record of your accomplishments, it's short-hand to a higher learning facility as to what you're personally capable of. The more effort you put into learning, the more access you'll have to learning other things. Anyway, I give up. I ranted out of interest for your well-being, but like I said, I remember being your age and how I thought. If you don't see enough value in history or school to care, I've got other things to do. :P Good luck.

9 years ago

I guess so. I don't know many bands/singers. I mostly listen to songs by superchick, skillet, and Toby Mack, and a few other singers/bands that I can't remember the name of.

Okay, but at least tell me why we go through so much to learn. The most anyone can learn is less then a fraction of what all is out there. What is the point of learning? 

9 years ago

Skillet, huh? I own four of their CDs. You should look into the band "We As Human" because the members of Skillet are not only friends with them, but they liked their music so much that they helped give them their start. My favorite song of theirs is "We Fall Apart" but you'd probably also like "Sever" and "Let Me Drown."

... *sigh* BK, you can't be serious. "What is the point of learning?" You might as well ask me "what's the point of living?" Shouldn't you have a reason of your own at your age? Your choice in music is evidence that you should at least have some concept of purpose.

9 years ago

Choice of music? It's just a few music artists that my mom showed me that I liked the sound of. And I'm just a bit hesitant to look up new songs in case I come across another song that has lyrics like 'Let's talk about sex baby. Let's talk about you and me....' I do not want another mental scar. Though, if they're friends of skillit, it can't be too bad, right? I'll look them up on youtube.

Edit: Ah ha! I have heard their music before. 'We fall Apart' is one of my favorite songs, though I had forgotten the band name. Thank you.

9 years ago

Then you don't actually know what kind of bands those are...?

9 years ago

?

9 years ago

The point of learning is that you can actually be competent when talking to other people who specialize in the areas you're forced to learn about, and just in case one career isn't working out for you. And by dammit, you're going to need more than one career. I CANNOT TELL YOU how painfully true the saying "You have to spin a great yarn before you you can weave a great dream" is. You will need a job, if not for the money, then for the life experience, and the likelihood is, the better your grades are, the less likely you'll end up with a shitty, boring job either flipping burgers at age 25, or doing hard manual labor struggling to afford that all-important internet of yours. $40 a month on a job that'll give you $95 dollars a week? That's $480 a year out of an already hilariously low budget. Odds are, if you're living the way the average person lives, you couldn't even pay your taxes with that money. ($4460, if you were wondering.) You better hope the car you'll be living in isn't too high-end, huh?

9 years ago
Learning is important, because it indoctrinates you into the world as we know it, providing you with all the knowledge that is generally accepted as truth. If you reject education, you will be pushed to the margins of society and left to die. Simple as that.

9 years ago

High school is important to get good grades in if you wanna get into a university.

High school isn't hard. At all. Like, it was only in the 12th grade where it became remotely difficult. Grade school is an even bigger joke. Don't get all conceited because you find it easy. You SHOULD find it easy, because it is easy.

It's not like you're doing anything more important than school right now anyway, so you might at well do well in it.

You won't succeed as an artist, or musician, or author. Well, you might, but it's really unlikely as Kiel has mentioned. Even if that's what you want to do, find something else you enjoy as your fall back plan. The best jobs are medical or technical/trades in nature right now.

Wearing a stupid looking outfit and prancing around on stage only got her so far, she needed actual, polished talent to do what she does. Talent is innate. Polishing, on the other hand, comes from training and education. You're a smart kid, Taco. You are also a talented kid, but if you do not find people who can teach you to hone your talent, it'll mean nothing.

You've got that kind of in reverse. Lady Gaga only became popular after she starting wearing all the crazy outfits. Until then she was just another musical artist. Being good isn't good enough. You need to be good AND different, and often it's only the latter that really matters.

Anyway, stay in school, and remember: those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

9 years ago

Mmm... fair enough. Her talent got her noticed by record labels and being different is what has kept her in the public eye, but being able to write song lyrics is a talent. Her "artistic vision" is part of her innate set of skills. Her abilities help keep people interested, even if her insane kermit-the-frog sweater, bubble wrap suit, lobster hat, and meat dress are what people talk about most.

(Honestly, in my opinion, what matters most to fame is and always will be luck. There are thousands of people out there who dress crazy and there are thousands of people who can sing, and some who can do both. Gaga just happened to actually find a combination of the two that worked for her and now she's making millions. :P )

9 years ago

The key to fame in any industry where they see you is to be good looking, lol. You very rarely see a normal person in the spotlight.

9 years ago

Hey, Stephanie Meyer is famous and people have seen her! Come to think of it, so's Robert Patterson. Oh, and Lady Gaga! xD

(Ok, so I'm kidding with the last two, though I'll be honest, they aren't what I consider attractive ... and I realize you mean "any industry where you're giving a visually important performance" but there are people who genuinely like her for her music.)

9 years ago

What are the point of grades? To tell you that you have been a good little girl for relaying back information they already know? To tell them that this little girl is a smart little thing, so she can get privileges like getting to work on something harder, and being pushed to the limits? Or perhaps the privilege of getting some place of power, as a teacher, as a congress person, as a recognized scientist, or as something else? Is it to tell people that they need to keep an eye on this thing so it doesn't break the power structure of this world they've made? Is it just some numbers and letters on a computer that are going to be lost and forgotten in a few months, maybe a couple years?

You say that history is important? I can see how the history of art, great writers, musicians is useful. It actually does effect things in the present if we know about that type of thing. We can use them as an example of what to do that has already been excepted by society, or as something to avoid if you want to try something new.

About all the bigger things though, like fallen nations or people rising to power, history is full of lies, little white lies, lies about how things actually happened, lies through omission of parts of the truth. It gives false glory in some places, where the difference between 'good' and 'bad' was a bit blurred, but people choose to ignore what they did wrong and focused on how great this historical figure was, or vise versa with people ignoring the 'good' someone did and focusing on just how wrong they were to oppose the system they have set up

(yes, I cheated a bit and copied/pasted part of my argument I've already made)

9 years ago

Just marry some dude with a weak will and lots of money. You'll be fine.

9 years ago

Man, women have it easy.

9 years ago

:P Hey, gay men do it, too. Besides, there is a such thing as a 'sugar momma' ... you just need to be an attractive person and find a rich airhead of one gender or the other.

9 years ago

Dont be crazy kiel, woman dont have well paying jobs.  

9 years ago

Oh. Right, sorry, forgot... the female doctors and surgeons I've worked with are actually figments of my imagination. :P My bad.

9 years ago

What a weird imagination. Freakish, really.

9 years ago

I know, right? I really should get that checked out, but when I tried to look up psychiatrists, I kept seeing womens' names! Oh, God, will the delusions never end...?!

9 years ago

#ScarierthanFlan

#MushroomEater

9 years ago

I think it may be more terrifying then madGlee. 

9 years ago

Pre-Gurkha-training or post?

9 years ago

Hey, I hear Mort Goldman's wife got killed off recently. Good news, if Taco's into redheads.

9 years ago

xD Haha...

9 years ago

Update:

I have changed the name of Werewolves an' Magic to School of Mutants, and then created another game with the title of Werewolves an' Magic. Why? Because I wanted to have a game that was more of a direct copy of my previous school project instead of something loosely related. I believe that the link up top will now take you to the new W&W game instead of where I originally intentioned. I apologize for the mix up. Well, anyway, no progress on School of Mutants and Voice of a Madman needs re-doing, but Werewolves an Magic will have around 19 pages of the main storyline sometime tomorrow.

Hell storm 36/? Started, 27/? Finished. Instead, I've been fiddling with the character stats page. >_>

Werewolves an' Magic 1/?finished, 1/? Started.

Ug. I've gotten close to nothing done in the past five days. X.X

9 years ago
You need to up the ante on Hell Storm. I still have plenty of other infectious diseases I can give you.

9 years ago

:P Have you written any more today?

9 years ago

Hell storm 36/? Started, 27/? Finished.

Werewolves an' Magic 13/?finished, 29/? Started.

I've been sidetracked with doing illustrations for Hell Storm characters and copy/pasting text into Werewolves an' magic in these past two days. I didn't get more then 10 minutes on the computer at break for the rest of the time since I've updated last. Basically, I've gotten no writing done what so ever on Hell Storm these past seven days. My progress rate is very low at the moment. x.x

I may have to drop out of the contest. At this rate, I won't even get half way done with the story before the deadline. X_X

I have four of the six character pictures that I need at the moment. It seems to take about 3 hours to make each picture. picture. 

Outline.jpg - Srenl

Citrior.jpg - Citrior

Kell.jpg - Kell

Natir.jpg - Natir