Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

So... I am wanting to write a story WITH  my kid.  I work away from home a lot.    Basically I wanna do a choose your own adventure.  So I'll write a segment, and then let her choose a way to proceed, then go write more.  I get to video chat with her at night, so I figure she'll get a lot of choices through this story.  My problem is figuring out a main storyline.  She is big into dragons and the like.  Lord of the rings, Eragon, Rangers apprentice etc.  It has to have dragons and she needs to be a warrior.  Magic maybe.  She does like Harry potter too.  I have ideas, just not an overall picture of a theme.  ANY help would be grateful.  I am not looking to publish a book, just looking for a way to have fun with her.

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Any of the story lines from the books would work, just throw in a bunch of twists and see where it takes you.

Just have fun with it.  The more outlandish, the better.  : )

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Ya I definitely have a few books in mind.  I just needed a completely different plot.  Didn't want her to see the ending before finishing the first session was over.  ;)

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

My idea was to actually take her favorite book and have it turn into something totally different, dictated by the choices made and some random off-the-cuff twists.  It's hard to hold a kids interest in an actual plot for very long, unless they feel like they're in control.  I should've been more clear.  Sorry.

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Ah.  I smellin' what you're steppin' in now,  and that just gave me a couple more ideas. Thanks

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Some of the most memorable stories from my childhood are those that my dad just made up.  ; )

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Main character has to train a dragon in order to save their family from evil Orcs/Goblins/etc. She also finds a magical ring and saves people in different cities along the way, eventually saving the entire kingdom and becoming a hero (and of course saving her family).

Maybe she meets a friendly magical elf along the way or something that helps her.

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Thanks a lot!  This really got the brain sparkin.

On a darker note...

9 years ago

Her family is put to the sword to appease a slumbering evil, and she must leave her tiny little village for revenge. On the way, she sees that the Elves live in fear, and can either help the Empire tighten it's grip or aid the revolution.

Or ignore the two, and become powerful enough to exact revenge and confront th demon.

On a darker note...

9 years ago

That's way too dark for a story aimed at a kid...

On a darker note...

9 years ago

You  certainly dont know kids these days.

On a darker note...

9 years ago

Depends on the age of the kid, though, and how sheltered their parents are keeping them. Don't get me wrong, my little sis was drawing dragons with blood-soaked fangs when she was six, but ... well, she had me as an older sibling. xD

On a darker note...

9 years ago
Drawing blood soaked fangs at six? How cute. I had real dead animals falling out of the fridge at me when I was two or three.

On a darker note...

9 years ago

Fridge? Since when do foxes have fridges? I'd also ask you why you had dead animals falling on you repeatedly, but ... *shrug* why not?

On a darker note...

9 years ago
I was speaking as a human in this case. Since you ask, my dad is and always had been a hunter. One time, he had in the fridge the bodies of some ducks he had shot. When I opened the door, they fell out on me.

On a darker note...

9 years ago

I read Lovecraft at eleven....

On a darker note...

9 years ago

And how is sacrificing innocents to a Cthulhu-like entity dark? 

On a darker note...

9 years ago

I was thinking sorta along these lines.  I wasn't going to have them killed since we are still alive today ??. I was thinking maybe her village was ransacked while she was away for some reason and her parents were abducted for slaves.  But write it in such a way where she might think everyone was just killed.  Then sometime later somehow finds out they're still alive so she could rescue them.  Imma make one of her parents full elven that had their features changed? In order to live with humans because they got married to one.  So I guess the plot would eventually become rescuing the parents, just need some good filler plots to throw in the mix that leads up to rescuing them.  

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

No problem!

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago
Dragons? Okay, here's a plot:

You live in a world populated scarcely with Dragons. It turns out, though, that the dragons pose a risk to populations of an endangered bird. So, you are sent by the medieval equivalent of the Nature Conservancy to "reduce the dragon population", regardless of the fact that the dragons are also endangered and that they are much smarter, more beautiful, and more vital to the general welfare of the ecosystem than the &%$#ing birds.

This is in no way an allegory on what happened to the island fox starting around the year 2000. Uh-uh. Not at all.

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

Lol.  Nah.  My kid might kill ME if I wrote her into a story where she had to kill dragons.  But the population thing gave me an idea as well.  I think imma have her raised pretty distant from society so as to write it where she thinks they are myth or something.  And then introduce her to them.  Maybe there are only a hand full because their population is so closely gaurded so that they won't devour the food chain.  I dunno.  Having her raised away from cities and the like sounds like any other story I've read, but I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world.  

Fantasy ideas anyone?

9 years ago

: )