Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises: New Interest Thread.

9 years ago

@Danaos @NightBirdBlue @betaband @31TeV @Briar_Rose @ISentinelPenguinI @TaraGil @the_quiller @LostConnection @Cynical @ItAintPretty @Swiftstryker @TacocaT @Romulus @coins @Malkalack @Virtualide @Morgan_R @Fireplay @nmelssx @mek7 @everyone

... I can't believe I'm saying this, I must be a glutton for punishment considering my schedule, but I seriously feel inspired to pitch in. I already have a list of ideas for writing assignments for you guys and I'd like to try doing themed weeks and extra bonuses and a couple other things, and it seems like it'll be fun. So. Here is my question: IF I ACTUALLY AGREE TO DO THIS, will you guys participate? If I can get 10 or more people to sign up on this thread, I will do it.

Also, I will be following Morgan's pattern of monday-friday unless majority vote persuades me otherwise and yes, I'm willing to tally up scores afterwards.

For those of you who do not know what this thread is about, I am offering to host writing exercises throughout the week which will be open to ALL PARTICIPANTS. Anyone who wants to practice writing, get feedback, kill time, whatever your reason is, you are welcome to join in, but please post here that you are interested. Once I have enough interested people, I will make a list of members to tag for each assignment so you will not miss out on it. I will also be keeping score and we'll have a winner / winners at the end of each week. The winner gets ... ... the satisfaction of knowing you wrote a week's worth of stuff. :P

9 years ago
Yes please, I would like to participate.

9 years ago

Sure, I'd love to try this out. Tag me if you get enough interest.

9 years ago
@TheNewIAP @bjhovey Interested?

9 years ago

I'm in!

Note to self:  Try to do more this time around.

9 years ago

@Will11 @Ogre11

We could use a little competition.  :)

9 years ago
BAM!

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

9 years ago

Lol... shall I add Mr. Inquisition to the list of participants?

9 years ago
Indubitably, my good man.

9 years ago
Oh wait, have we already started?

9 years ago

Nope. But I'm definitely hopeful. Four people in 20 minutes is impressive.

9 years ago

=D Thanks for helping tag people, guys. As for anyone else reading this, if you know of someone who would or might like to participate, please feel free to tag / ask them. Everyone on this site is invited to join in.

9 years ago

@BradinDvorak

9 years ago
# @SpartacustheGreat

9 years ago

I heard an unorthodox uttering of my name.

9 years ago

So you did. Interested?

9 years ago

Sure as syrup.

9 years ago
Is there such a thing as an orthodox muttering of your name?

9 years ago
Yes: # @coins

9 years ago

Of course.

"God."

9 years ago
@DemonJews

9 years ago

The fuck? That actually worked, I think. XD 

9 years ago

Lol. You joining, Aman?

9 years ago

Ha ha, no, sorry. Just shocked that worked. Mad weird. 

9 years ago

Well, damn. Though, that's good to know. I thought the only way to summon you was saying your name backwards three times while standing in front of a mirror and holding a flaming ham.

9 years ago

Tev must have written "@Aman" then edited it XD

9 years ago

Tev once copied about 30 tagged user's username, and then before he posted them, he changed all of the names to something having to do with cool's username on a difference document, pasted the tagged usernames, and then immediately copy and pasted the changed usernames. It was lol. 

9 years ago

I'm in! ^_^

9 years ago

I think WC fans could benefit from this, too, so if anyone knows who to tag...  ; )

@Bluefur @Pineapplekitty @jaystarthecat 

9 years ago

Thank you, IAP. Yep, like I said, this is open to anyone who wants to participate. :D

9 years ago

Lol.  I think Seth added the tags.

9 years ago

Oh, I meant the suggestion of tagging them, lol.

9 years ago
@Deathdefender @Flamepelt43 @LycanWizard @PurpleSparkles78 @AWarriorFan @WarriorCatsRPStories @Wolfmist @Goldenheart1 @Rivertail @winterfox @VonKittyCat @Esperanzathewolf
You guys want in?

Also, I know you're not one of them but @CobaltBlaze

9 years ago

..............Okay. 

9 years ago
Also @Will11

EDIT: Never mind, he was already tagged.

9 years ago

@Bluefur @Pineapplekitty @jaystarthecat

Join in the fun.  I dare ya.  :)

9 years ago

No.

Good Bye.

9 years ago

Spoilsport.

9 years ago

@Pineapplekitty

=( You're not even a little interested? It's open to everyone and it's just a fun way for us all to kill time and practice writing. In any case, if you change your mind, let me know.

9 years ago

But you're awesome when it comes to writing! ... Better than me, at least.

9 years ago

How did you even manage to find out about Pineapplekitty being a WC fan? She doesn't even come on the forums anymore. As for me, I might.

9 years ago

A little bird Mod told me.  xD

9 years ago

A mod? Why would a mod be telling you that? *shrugs* I don't know any mods... I think.

9 years ago

Sethaniel.  When I asked, he answered using my post.  xD

9 years ago

I'm surprised that guy even remembers me. Sheesh, so much for staying off the forums.

9 years ago

Seth is all-knowing and all-seeing.

9 years ago

Which kind of creeps me out...

9 years ago

... Previous posts? What does it matter, though? I'm inviting everyone. :)

Unfortunately, I can't count a "might" or a "maybe," I need a yes for it to count toward the 10 necessary. Still, do let me know when you're sure, the more the merrier.

9 years ago

Yeah, I'll need more time to think about it.

9 years ago
Wow. That's a cat there, isn't it? Wow.

I'm not trying to insult you, or anything, if anything, I'm insulting myself: I had seen your avatar before, and I was sure that it was a gorilla with blue fur. I guess I never saw the ears and my eyes mashed the shadow with the cat's face, so I thought it was a big, round gorilla head!

I like the cat more.

9 years ago

... ... Oh. I had the same problem and now I can't unsee it. xD But yeah, it's cool.

9 years ago

I just can't see how that looks like a gorilla.

9 years ago
Ignore the ears and make your eyes blurry/out of focus. The whole dark shadow-shape looks like a gorilla's head.

9 years ago

Ah, now I see... It's kinda strange though. What kind of cat would look like a gorilla of all things?

9 years ago

... God no. Now this'll haunt me for all eternity. XD

9 years ago

Lol.  Did not expect that!  xD

9 years ago
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH... oh wait, did I already say that line?

9 years ago

NOBODY EXPECTS AN OGRE TO QUOTE MONTY PYTHON!

9 years ago
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

9 years ago

Um... Thanks?

9 years ago

xD He's complimenting your avatar, just in a ... lengthy anecdotal way.

9 years ago

K

9 years ago

Seven so far, just need three more for a full bunch. :)

(Of course, once we get started, this thread will remain open to more participants for as long as I host these exercises.)

9 years ago
Can I just make a suggestion? Morgan's writing exercises, while great fun, felt a little time consuming at times. Do you think there are ways to encourage shorter pieces for theses writing exercises? (if of course that's what everyone actually wants) Maybe we could make each exercise a continuation of the previous piece the day before, then move onto something new the week after.

9 years ago

If you didn't do the exercise from the day before, you'd have some make-up work to do.  I'd prefer each days to be unique (to the current week, of course).

9 years ago
That's a good point. I did like Morgan's way of doing things with a different theme every day. Might it actually benefit people if there's a word limit? I think some of us would benefit from trying to keep things concise. And it would just mean each exercise doesn't take too much time.

9 years ago

I don't care for the word limit...  I've been trying to expand on what I write.  I know I used all the tropes in this funny little paragraph, but who really wants to read a one page novel.

9 years ago
Ok, I guess I'll just set myself my own word limit if I feel I'm spending too much time writing. XD

9 years ago
Too much time writing? Blasphemer!

9 years ago

Hence why I said "How much you write is really up to you" ... a common problem for writers is not expanding enough, so I want to offer the opportunity to really thoroughly craft scenes and ideas. I'm also not putting a word minimum, so you can make it as small as you see fit.

9 years ago

Well ... I'm going to try to focus on simple stuff, at least at first. How much you write is really up to you, in the end, after all. I was planning to do the five sentence starters for a while, with bonuses of scenes and "extra bonuses" of more complex stuff for people feeling particularly bored or wanting more of a challenge. If you'd like to help me plan some exercises, though, I'd be delighted to have the input. 

9 years ago
Feel free to use this site for crazy ideas.

9 years ago

xD I already have an entire list that I dreamed up myself, but I may. Thank you.

9 years ago

Obviously.

9 years ago

=D Great! Good to have you aboard, beta. (8!)

9 years ago

It's a great idea but unfortunately my first real holiday in about a year starts tomorrow and I won't have the time to participate :( I'll keep an eye on this thread when I have time though and have fun everyone :)

9 years ago

Well ... damn. Well, just so you know, even infrequent participation is welcome, so if you change your mind, lemme know.

9 years ago

Oh, I have a suggestion, not for the exercises but for giving feedback to each other. If people want to get feedback on their writing, they can join the feedback circle. Anybody in this circle has to provide feedback to at least one person, who will be somebody else selected by the system.

So for example, if Kiel, IAP and I are in the feedback circle, each day a random number generator will be used to pick one person for everyone. So we might have:
Kiel giving feeback to IAP
IAP giving feedback to me
me giving feedback to Kiel

Of course, the above is a simplification and hopefully the actual circle is bigger, but you get the idea.

This way, we'll ensure that everyone who wants feedback on their exercise can get it, but without making anyone feel the pressure to give feedback to lots of people.

9 years ago

xD ... I thought about that, though not quite on that large of a scale. If someone would be willing to help me keep track of that *cough*liketheguywhosuggestedit,hinthint*cough* then it would be easier to do something to that effect, though I'm not entirely sure making reviews mandatory is wise. I might need to take a vote. We're getting ahead of ourselves anyway, need one more person for this to even be a thing.

9 years ago
If we do go ahead with this then I'd be happy to keep track of it all. What I'm proposing isn't that it's mandatory; people would be able to opt in or out of the feedback circle at any time. If you really want to get feedback then fine, but you'd better be prepared to give it as well.

9 years ago

Well, so far it's a triangle.  Haha.

I'm not really good at critiquing, but I'd be glad to give a pat on the back or a slap to the ego.  :)  I agree with Kiel on not making it mandatory.  Sometimes I find that it's better if I keep my muzzle mouth shut.

9 years ago

Hmmm. Sure. Why not? 

9 years ago

Nine! :)

9 years ago

@ISentinelPenguinI

If you have time to write a rap... :P

9 years ago

9 years ago

Okay.

9 years ago

*gapes* ... A mod as a participant? Awesome!

9 years ago
Shut up, that's ten, Mr. Man. Get to work! ;)

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel

=D Awesome! 10 people to start with. Of course, as I said before, I will be taking any new comers who wish to join, just let me know that you want to be added to the list. Currently, I am finishing up a five week long list of ideas (yes, I already have nearly 25 assignments ready to go, I was not kidding when I said I felt some inspiration over this,) but because I'm doing this on a Monday-Friday schedule currently, that means we'll officially begin on the 9th.

As I said, if you guys have any suggestions, (questions, exc,) I'm open. Also, yes, a feedback thread will be opened for y'all to comment on each other's work and, while highly encouraged, feedback is not mandatory for participants. If you want to get feedback from others, though, it is only courteous to offer it in return. Also, please remember that, even with the scores, this is ultimately for fun and self-betterment. If you offer critiques, they should all be constructive in nature and non-flamey. Plz and ty.

9 years ago
Sounds good. Hey, quick question, just so I'm sure I play by the rules:

"Wow, that's just total crap!" -- that's feedback that's non-constructive, but

"Wow, that's just total crap, do better next time!" -- is feedback that is constructive because it has a suggestion in it, right?

9 years ago

xD Funny, but no. Try focusing on telling the other person what they could improve on rather than pointing out that they suck.

9 years ago

... So things have changed, I see.

9 years ago

"When time passes, people pass too."-#IJustMadeUpARandomQuote

9 years ago

You're a funny guy. lol. 

9 years ago

This is quite orthodox.

9 years ago

Woot! Super excited for this. Thanks, Kiel!

Hopefully I'll do more exercises when I'm not coming up with them.... XD

9 years ago

My pleasure, actually. I like doing stuff like this when I get the chance. :) Community activities are fun.

My participation in the actual "doing the exercises" will probably be minimal with how much planning, scoring, reading, reviewing, and general monitoring of this thing I'll be doing.

9 years ago

That's too bad, I like your writing.

Shhhh...Since you know the exercises beforehand, you could use the weekend to get a head start.  (Don't tell anyone.)

9 years ago

Oh, I'll still participate, it's just that I've still got The Other World to worry about. >_> And Devil's Chess. And Oneirology. And Magick Academy. And a job. xD 

Sneaky.

9 years ago

I'm waiting for Magick Academy to be published... Why? Because I'm the type of person who likes to completely ignore reality and instead stick my head in some fantasy world. And because I like magic. XD

9 years ago

Fantasy and magic... A wonderful combination...

But I prefer Mythology.

9 years ago

Coincidentally, Magick Academy involves both. I usually like to incorporate Mythology whenever I add magic to a story because it gives it some roots in ... "reality" and it offers a source / explanation.

9 years ago

Yeah, you've got your hands full.  It's a bit slow here right now (not stopped completely, though), being winter, but will pick up considerably next month when people start working and tearing stuff up.

(I've had two phone calls and a walk-in customer while trying to type this one reply.)

9 years ago

Hell fucking yeah, I'm in. 

9 years ago

FUCK YEAH!

9 years ago

Can't promise I'll do every day 'cos of work, but I'd definitely like to be involved ^_^

9 years ago

I'll do it

9 years ago

Sure, I'll do it.

9 years ago

Hmm... Okay fine, I'll do it. But only if I am excused because I'm going to be very busy in the next month or so.

9 years ago

Six more people added to the tag list, then. Cool. I'm not normally able to say this, but... I'm looking forward to Monday, haha.

9 years ago

Yeah, me to.

9 years ago

FUCK YEAH, CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY!

9 years ago

I've never heard of anyone who has said "I can't wait for Monday!"

9 years ago

My classmates "CANT WAIT FOR MONDAY!" Because we have a 'Funday Monday' at our school.

9 years ago

What!? Where is your school! I MUST GOES TO IT!!!

9 years ago

lol. Funday Monday only happens every week. xD (Im telling the truth)

9 years ago

I'm not familiar with the system for this, but I suppose it's a yes for me.smiley

9 years ago

I don't have that sort of stamina, anymore...

9 years ago

I guess it's time for that ol' monkey to retire XD

9 years ago

Eh, what the heck...I will join this thread. I saw the writing exercises when they first came out last year, and I thought they were pretty cool.

9 years ago

I just made "The Hybrid" From FNAF3 and now it's my profile picture...

9 years ago

For some weird reason this is making me wanna do a Profile Picture Contest.

9 years ago

Just so you guys know, I do have everyone's names on the list so far, but just in case this thread gets buried, PMing me is a sure-fire way to make sure you are added to the tag list. =) I will be starting our exercises tomorrow once I get off work.

9 years ago

I would like to enter this!

9 years ago

Bit late, but I'm in!