Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Sneak preview is playable by anyone?! WTF

9 years ago

The description of this option says: "When this box is checked, this storygame will be visible (but not clickable) on your profile page. If unchecked, the only author(s) may view it and it will not be shown in your profile.". This turned out to be totally misleading.

I've enabled sneak preview just to show the story description in the profile, knowing that no one will see what's inside (it's a mess now).

But one can actually play an unpublished story by clicking on user points and even comment and rate it!

There was a test link to rate the story and one dude actually commented it and rated it 8 which is totally wrong. Now I've deleted the playable pages and links.

So you have to create 3 "dummy" stories to stop getting points for them and only the 4th story without points can have a sneak preview that can't be played.

Later I'll probably post the problem with a sneak preview post to bugs or wishing well, but it will probably not change anything...

9 years ago
Well I just played "Story of a Unicorn," and it was a nice stub... :)

(But you don't actually have to go to points to get into those sneak peek games, just so you know).

9 years ago

Indeed, anyone can play any story with a sneak preview even without using exp points :(

A broken system.

9 years ago

Just turn off Sneak Preview and type the description into your profile.

9 years ago

I so get you. When I discovered the same I was a little terrified and I kinda thought Ogre11 was a hacker...But I hope they change that. I don't want people to see my stories that are a mess before publishing.

9 years ago

@Rosetail uncheck the sneak preview box on the story properties page.

8 years ago

I did it a couple days ago already.

9 years ago

You can view any game on sneak preview, whether it's the first three or not. You just have to type this into the URL:

chooseyourstory.com/story/title-of-the-story

It is well known that you can do that, and it's there for people who want multiple proof-readers, enough that they can't all be co-authored. Or for some other reason. It has been asked for that all games on sneak preview have the endgame link not do anything until it's published though, so you don't get random raters or comments. I believe the idea was accepted, and we just have to wait for alex_p to pop up and implement it.

9 years ago

It's useful and not a bad thing. The problem is in the option description, because after reading it people assume that the game can't be played. It is well known for old users, but not for new ones. We just need to fix the option description so it clearly states that it allows anyone to play the game (the proposed text is in the Wishing Well).