Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

I read JJJ's tips and I felt like "hey, I wanna write an epic and see what happens," so, I started writing one. Here's the description:

You are a petty thief in the kingdom of Karltmor. Your repetitive actions have led to your exile. 

You are given a Griffin to lead you out of the kingdom. He is an unnamed and untamed animal; abused all his life.

Once you discover your close bond with each other, you are the first to discover a dangerous power that could threaten to destroy Karltmor forever. The question is: do you work against it… or beside it?

I was hoping for some more advice from some other really good writers. Anybody?

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

You're a hated criminal so they give you a Griffin? I want to go be a criminal in that society!

Sounds cool.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

Thanks man :]

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

No, I mean getting a free griffin for being a nuisance to society sounds cool. 

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

Be descriptive, proof read thoroughly, don't publish until it's finished, try to learn at least a little scripting, and offer multiple paths, endings, and choices throughout if you don't want to be accused of linearity.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

I seriously need to work on proof reading :\ Thanks a lot for the advice, though! It seems like a lot of those points come up in the games that have been rated the best (like Ground Zero, or the Homo Perfectus series). Thanks again!

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

You can ask other members of the site to proof read for you as well.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago
Most readers here really like options that make a difference. In other words, don't give the reader two choices that take them to the same result. A choice should make a difference in the story. This does mean that much of your story will not get read on the first reading -- because the choices will take the reader in different directions. It should take more than one (many is better) reading to get to all the pages in your story.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

Thanks a lot- I'll keep that in mind.

Working on an epic story

8 years ago

Or at least make it so that each choice changes a variable to a different number so that later you can have people reference your choice.

P.s. Ogre11 be hate'n the Plot Police!