WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Message

Toss around ideas and brainstorm your story.

Kiel's Motivational thread 3

4 years ago

Much as I like looking back on my progress (whether it's in the vein of "dammit, Kiel, stop being lazy" or "look how far I went in a couple days!") the second thread was starting to get a little long to scroll through.

UPDATE:
The Other World: A few more pages in this chapter and the entirety of the main story will be complete. It's almost tempting to drop the other four for their filler content, but I want to give less battle oriented players an opportunity to level up because ... stats matter. I am not going to tell you how much, but they matter.

Completed Main Chapters: 4/4 (100%!)
Completed Mini Chapters: 20 / 25 (80.0%)

Page Count: 776 / ???

4 years ago

C'mon, Kiel! You can do it! *waves pompoms*

4 years ago

4 years ago

Funny you should mention that; my phone actually plays that clip every time I receive a text message. Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it plays at weddings. 

4 years ago
Has it ever had the perfect moment?

4 years ago

Yes, yes it has.

4 years ago
"I love you, man."
"I love you too, bro."
"HAH,GAYYYYYYYYY"

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: >_> Having my progress slowed down a bit. We're preparing to move, so I'm pitching in with a little spring cleaning (in summer, yes,) and throwing out all the crap we no longer use / can give away to charity. Digging out my closet reminded me that I'm a terrible pack-rat and I hate clothes shopping, so I have a bunch of jeans and shirts and crap from when I was a teen. :P

Completed Mini Chapters: 20 / 25 (80.0%)

Page Count: 776 / ???

4 years ago

Oh god I thought you said "Rattpack" for a moment. I almost mercy-killed you. 

4 years ago

I don't even know what that is.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Oh. Oh, hell no.

4 years ago

So ... it's going okay. I'm just not sure how much choice I want to offer you guys for the last fight. It's one of those "if you're strong enough, you will succeed, if you're smart enough, you could cheat, if you're neither, you're fucked" sort of deals.

4 years ago
Secret ending?

4 years ago

>_> What secret? <_< No one said anything about a secret! YOU HEARD NOTHING!

Knowing me, I'll probably make a secret / special ending for every game I put out, just because lulz. 

4 years ago
You have to take the little girl's charm medallion.

It will boost all of your stats up to max.

But it's only available at a choice in the first 1/4 of the game. So if you Fuck up back there, no boost 4 u.

... Or something along those lines.

4 years ago

Lol... not quite remotely how this works. But nice try. 

4 years ago
Damnit...

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: Another mini complete. The main story is finished--except for, again, clean-up and scripting / beta-reading. >_>' I wish I felt more certain about the quality of that battle as a scene.  

Completed Mini Chapters: 21 / 25 (84.0%)

Page Count: 780 / ???

4 years ago

Keep it up, Kiel-san! Can't wait to continue playing TOW! ^-^

Well... my first post in your motivational thread after days of lurking in your motivational threads.

4 years ago
Well, beta-reading/play testing does help increase your confidence about that battle. Or, it should. If it doesn't, you're..weird.
*steps back into shadows*

Go Kiel, go!

4 years ago

I was weird long before this. Thank you for the tiny words of encouragement.

4 years ago
Oh, yes. I was just stating the fact. It makes me feel less weird.

You're welcome.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: With a little luck, the 22nd chapter will be finished today. I have an hour before my sisters come over to drag me and my spouse into some family bonding time. (And they want to grab dinner at a nice place two towns over, too.) So, let's see if I can finish it in that time. *crackles knuckles*  

Completed Mini Chapters: 21 / 25 (84.0%)

Page Count: 780 / ???

4 years ago

*Cackles madly* SUCCESS! Three chapters to go. =D

Completed Mini Chapters: 22 / 25 (88.0%)

Page Count: 790 / ???

4 years ago

Good luck with your sisters anyway.

4 years ago
GG

4 years ago

IT'S ALIVE... Nearly :D

So close, SO CLOSE, but I wonder what will you do when you finish this epic?

"And for my next trick I'm writing a 2,000 page masterpiece of horror listing every single possible way a human can die including death by lemurs". :)

Still, you've worked so hard on this I can't wait to read the whole thing!

4 years ago

xD Move on to conquering the school-based category, if at all possible. I will not be at all shocked if it is, indeed, 2k pages. No lemur related deaths, sadly.

I'm struggling with the last pages, though. =| *sigh*

4 years ago

Put all of your imagination on those pages before your imagination fades!

Kiel... you're pretty damn fast when it comes to writing all of those chapters.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: Writer's block, due in no small part to depression and a steadily growing dose of apathy. I'm sure there's a reason I'm writing this thing, I just can't remember what it is right now. Maybe on another day. I guess it'd be nice if it was soon, I only have 7 pages of the current chapter to go, and then two left. 

Completed Mini Chapters: 22 / 25 (84.0%)

4 years ago
Out of curiosity, what exactly is a "mini-chapter"? Are they like side stories?

4 years ago
I'm assuming so, with sidequests and level grinding.

4 years ago

Eh? Oh. Well, you're mostly right, but it's a lot more than that. 

See, I had my story broken up into four main chapters, which contain the fights, the main towns, the larger parts of the story, character development ... but, for various reasons, the Guild Square as a whole needed to be made separate, as did the Kitchen, the shop, the Arena of Horrors ... as well as some more important locations. The side-missions are also separate, as is a branch which leads to a "special" death. The three remaining chapters are missions.

I'm trying to compensate for the difficulty some people are having with fights by letting them train a bit more through scenarios, too. So, rather than battle missions, they're choice based. They're also to compensate for not getting to go through as many cities as I wanted to visit initially.

...xD Sorry if that was more explanation than you bargained for. Whether or not I feel like writing today, I apparently still feel up to talking about it.

4 years ago
I find if someone get's me talking about my own story, I get more interested, think up ideas, and get motivated to write again ^_^

But yeah, that seems pretty interesting. How long do these side chapters tend to be? The last one you made seemed to be about 15-20 pages, no?

4 years ago

Haha... thank you. :)

Yeah, about there, though the single location ones can be a bit shorter. I was also breaking up the 'realms' (from the first game, I don't think it's a spoiler to anyone who's thumbed through the journal, so... eh) into separate chapters, but I decided to have one lead straight into the final confrontation of the game because it was the shortest, and now it's probably the longest of the "minis" xD 

4 years ago
Hey! 3 days ago you were at 88%. This post says you're at 84%. I think you're doing something wrong if you're erasing words...

4 years ago

Typo ... or foreshadowing, I realized I might have to break one chapter into two for ease of coding.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: The good news is that I totally know what I'm going to do with the last four chapters. Bad news is that, no, that's not a typo. Four chapters. I had to split one for ease of coding. (Besides, I'm more than a little OCD. I'd rather have an even number of chapters.) Feelin' good today, though, I might be able to finish my current one before it's over.

Completed Mini Chapters: 22 / 26 (84.0%)

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: Finished another chapter last night. Two mission remaining, one of which is--again--split into two chapters for ease of writing. (It's related to gender choice, so I'll be re-using pages. If I did it with proper scripting, I'd have to re-write the code over six times per relevant page. Making two chapters sounds more consuming, but trust me, it's less.)

Completed Mini Chapters: 23 / 26 (88.0%)

4 years ago
Goooo! Almost there (I hope)! Rewriting is not so fun.

4 years ago

How many pages per mini chapter?

4 years ago

It's not a pre-determined thing. The chapter that I'm working on isn't very long because it doesn't need to be, but the last two are anybody's guess right now because I haven't plotted out exactly how many pages it will require to fit in that part of the storyline and accommodate the gameplay.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: "Another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust. And another one gone, and another one gone ... another one bites the dust." Two chapters left, people. I'm almost there. =D

Completed Mini Chapters: 24 / 26 (92.0%)
Page Count: 796 / ???

4 years ago

4 years ago

:D

4 years ago
Good, which means I'll get to continue my gameplay on TOW a few days later.

4 years ago

It's been FOREVER and I NEED IT!!!!

4 years ago

Getting on it, I'm just ... bleh... there are a lot of variables at work here, and it's all rather emotional stuff. >_> And the characters involved just aren't cooperative.

4 years ago

I was told today in class that many authors believe there's no such thing as writers block - just judging their work before they write it.

4 years ago

:P I call BS. If you cannot think of what to write next, you have writer's block. If you cannot decide what to write next, you're judging yourself, but you've gotta have the ideas first. Also, how's beta-reading going? I -will- be putting this thing up soon.

4 years ago

Er, I got to a couple pages in the past few days, none of which had any mistakes.

I was actually in the middle of forming a pm about it. >_<

So, I had thought that with high school going, my mom wouldn't be taking me everywhere all the time, and I'd have more time to proofread. -_- But, no, instead she's signed me up for a whole bunch of after-school activities to occupy my time instead.

One of which being a Kid Of Divorced Parents group, with only two other kids, and literally doing nothing but wasting time since this all happened 4-5 years ago. And a church event every week to discuss the bible and all that stuff (which will be really boring, since I don't particularly believe in that kind of thing.). And sports, since I don't have P.E. this year.

Basically, I have minimal time to myself. I haven't decided between following through with what I promised to do and help finish proofreading, or asking to be released of that so I could work on my own stories instead. I doubt I'd have time for both.

4 years ago

=| ... I don't want to be responsible for you not getting to advance as a writer / you being delayed in your creative pursuits. xD Besides, tbh, I don't know if you've already read the throne room scene, but I've felt guilty about the idea of you having to proof read it since I first conceived it.

You've already done a lot to help me clean up and I'm grateful. If you need to quit now, I understand and respect that.

4 years ago

How long ago was it written?

Dangit. XD I hate it when you sound so formal. It's like you're saying one thing, but meaning the exact opposite.

I reeeeaaally want to finish [proof]reading T.O.W (I know I won't have the patience to read everything normally, and I doubt there'd be paths I'd be able to get to. I've been trying to find all the paths for GoLaD for quite a while now, and I bet I've barely even scratched the surface. So quite a bit of selfish reasoning for helping you out. >_<')

Buuuut, I reeeeaaaally want to get back to writing HS, VoaM, and WiTiND.

Buuuut, I did promise you that I'd help you out and proofread it.

Buuuut, writers block has begun to fade.

Buuuut, being able to have the overview of T.O.W is a limited time offer that we both benefit from.

Buuuut, my stories have been in haitus for soooooo long.........

The impossible decision; To do it, or not to do it.

4 years ago

(Depends. Parts of it are old, parts of it are new. A word to jog your memory: Cannibalism.)

That's ... slightly unsettling, that you can see through that mannerism when most people IRL have no idea that I even do that. Kinda creeped out right now, even my spouse can't usually tell when I pull that kinda thing. xD

I'm not doing it this time, though, I swear, I really was being completely sincere. Sometimes I just speak formally out of habit. You've been a big help, and I'd feel selfish if I hindered your pursuits for the sake of my own.

I'm glad you feel like you're getting something out of it, though, lol. (I intend to post a walkthrough for T.O.W., and GOLAD's getting a consolidated one later on.) Not to sway you, but if it is difficult to make a decision because you really want to keep going, then it is almost finished. You've already read most of it, and I don't think these last chapters will add much more. Maybe ... twenty pages each? Ten? But again, I'm looking forward to reading your stories, too, as are other people here.

4 years ago

It's the phrasing. It happens all the time with other people. Parents to kids, friends to you, etc. Someone states something you did, say they feel grateful, or that you were really helpful. (indication that they want you to continue, and perhaps a start of a guilt trip) Then, they tack on that they respect your decision either way, and make it sound smooth. XD Of course, it's not fool-proof unless I can hear the tone people use when saying it. If I had heard you actually say it, I'm sure I could have told whether you honestly meant it or you'd rather have me as your proof-reader.
A trained ear (listening to make sure my trumpet is on-key, or to identify which note someone's playing was a great way to be able to identify tone fluctuations. Of course, I picked up on that skill much earlier than most of the other kids. >_< Even taking band only every other year, I've still managed to get 1st chair rather quickly without any at-home practice.) can often pick things out like that. My music teacher, along with a couple of the better players in the class were able to do the same thing.

Yes, but I am rather far behind. XD about 150-225 pages behind, I think? I don't think I could finish that before you finished writing with how fast you go.

4 years ago

Well ... I mean, I guess it's common enough ... xD people just normally don't notice when I do it. It's not something I do a lot, though, and again, I was being serious. I feel like I've already asked a lot of you, this thing isn't exactly short. xD

Fair enough, but there's a reason I'm doing these chapters last. I've been procrastinating on them since about half-way through the storyline, and I DID tell myself I'd stop to script in bonus achievements for the gameplay side of things. How long do you think you would need? 

4 years ago

If I were to do it, I'd only be able to read for a few hours on Thursday night and Saturday morning. About 1 page in 2-3 minutes, total of around 4 - 6 hours a week for a decent amount of online reading time (unless another event comes up, which would make it less)

Estimation;

Shortest time; 1-2 weeks (No distractions, at all.)

Longest time; 3-4 weeks (possibly 5/6, knowing my mom and how she likes to keep me busy. X_x)

4 years ago

Alright. On the chance that I finish writing and scripting everything before you can catch up, I am willing to wait.

Besides, I still need to write the walk-through and I can't exactly do it while the story's up, too much to remember.

That said, it's up to you. 

Edit: Well. My muse has been oddly cooperative today. >_>

4 years ago

Quick question: How many people who've read this damn thing really like Selene and/or Darren?

(<_< Please don't be a majority, please don't be a majority... )

4 years ago

...I liked them....

4 years ago

... Oh. ^^; I'm sorry.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: Progress is slooow...

Page Count: 799 / ???

4 years ago

Ok, so my skeletal work is done. Looks like 14 pages each for these last two chapters, and out of the total 28, I've finished 6.

Once that's done, it'll be all final touches, achievement additions, script-checks, and one final full playthrough to hunt for bugs.

But my work may be interrupted very soon. I'm preparing to move. =\ If it happens soon enough, it'll stop me in my tracks until we settle in and I've got a very, very busy week coming up besides. We'll see.

4 years ago

:/

Fingers crossed that the timing works out!

Though, for what it's worth, I've often heard it suggested that fiction writers should set a finished draft aside for a bit, to be able to reread it with fresh eyes. I'm sure it would be frustrating to be forced to do that, instead of choosing to, though.

4 years ago

Yeah... you make a great point, Morgan. Though, by now, I'd probably have fresh eyes for like, 6/8ths of my game with how long I've taken to write it, haha. xD

4 years ago
You think you take long? Aw hell no. You cram out pages like nobody's business while remaining fresh-eyed and maintaining your personal life.

4 years ago

xD But... it's been 11 months...

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Other World: Like I said, all the skeletal work is in place ... so the pages are made and I know how many there will be total now, but I have to finish those last pages. 18 to go.

Page Count: 821 / 821

4 years ago

Go go go! :D

4 years ago

2 more done~

4 years ago
Hooray!

4 years ago

U got dis.

4 years ago

11 pages remaining. o.0 ... I feel like pinching myself, it's almost over.

Edit: 8.

4 years ago

You can do it!

4 years ago

JUST DO IT!!

4 years ago

And then just before Kiel could complete his story, he suddenly combusted into flames for no apparent reason.

It was tragic.

4 years ago

xD ... Actually, I'd find it hilarious.

4 years ago

Almost there...! Only four left.

4 years ago

HNNNNNNNNNG! IT HAPPENS TODAY!!

4 years ago

2 pages left to go. I will still be beta-testing before I post.

Completed Mini Chapters: 25 / 26 (96.0%)

4 years ago

:D

4 years ago

Welp, I suppose that means I'll get to writing as well. Sorry Kiel. >_<

4 years ago

It's fine. But I may not be posting it today after all. Something is wrong. Very wrong. And I don't know what.

I can't get maximum score, even though, as far as I can tell, I did everything...

4 years ago

http://nanowrimo.org/pep-talks

4 years ago

You've got to be fucking kidding me. I've encountered a glitch and ... I don't know what to do.

IF %RESPECT1 = 1 THEN
IF %RESPECT2 = 1 THEN
IF %RESPECT3 = 3 THEN
BEGIN
$DEST := "@P719"
END

^ That should work, right? Right? I'm not going crazy? Because I put it in the link and it refuses to redirect me.

Edit: I screwed around with it and then put it back exactly as it was, and it randomly started working again. My game likes to fuck with me. I've created a monster.

4 years ago

http://youtu.be/0VP7xTQf_qI

4 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-other-world

Completed Main Chapters: 4/4 (100%)
Completed Mini Chapters: 26 / 26 (100.0%)

4 years ago

YAY!

4 years ago

Ye know that if you send a link to your story game that is unpublished it just sends you to the front page of the website.

4 years ago

Try it again.

4 years ago
It's probably for later when it's published...

4 years ago

xD It IS published.

4 years ago
I knew that...

4 years ago

okay now it works.

4 years ago

why are you still on the forums with us? You should go celebrate with alcohol, music, and men in scarves

4 years ago

Men in... scarves? What? And I'm making a tag list. A lot of people made me promise to tag them when I finished.

4 years ago
Can you tag me too? I want to be tagged when it's finished.

4 years ago

xD But it ... is finished. >_> @Ford

4 years ago
,s.that tag didn't work though</s>

thanks I really enjoyed your motivation threads (even though I didn't read any of them, I liked the fact someone was being motivated to do something) I'm honored to me the very first one to be tagged and know about the story being published.

Edit:: wtf happened to me strikethrogh code?!?! o-o really though

4 years ago

It was mostly me talking about being horribly ill, writer's block, and anything else trying to keep me away from this moment, soo... didn't miss much, though some of it was sorta funny, I suppose.

4 years ago
it'd be a shame if the site were to crash and reboot to 4 hours ago. but I guess it wouldn't be a shame because really that's more onorable than any compliment bu a member. unless you are all about the readers then really i guess it would be a shame. I don't know what I'm getting at but if the site crashed and rebooted it'd mean the whole inanimate virtual entity we call CYS would have gotten so exited for your success it peed itself and went unconcus(unconcius? fuckit you know what I meant to type just then).

4 years ago

xD Lol... you say some of the strangest, funniest things, Ford.

4 years ago

That's what's known as "not pressing the shift key".

4 years ago
yeah but for the clos tage it made the pointy ()'s (can't remember what they are called) and didn't work. I've never seen that before I think.

4 years ago

You know, men in scarves. So their necks don't get chilly!

My advice on celebration still stands.

4 years ago

Congratulations! :D

*adds game to mental stack of games to play*

*stack teeters alarmingly*

...er. Maybe I'll just take this one off the top and play it next. Or... GOLAD first. Then this. ^_^

4 years ago

The Other World is Finished and has been re-published!

Aaaand... I'm about to tag the hell outta everyone who has ever shown interest or supported me in this endeavor and who has not already commented on it being done yet: @madglee @TacocaT @the_quiller @31TeV @TheNewIAP @SpartacustheGreat @Sethaniel @FazzTheMan @Raven47 @ISentinelPenguinI @jamescoker1226 @Tanstaafl @Abysso @fugiar @Max_Hadrian @Newgoblin42 @DeathIncarnate @Will11 @Fiery_Phoenix

*pauses* Need to go digging through my motivational thread again, don't I...? I'll come back. xD

4 years ago

@Tim36D @3173v3 @Killa_Robot @Ogre11 @LeoScales7 @EndMaster @Swiftstryker @iqqih
@Spacecats @NeoTheCreator @nmelssx @BradinDvorak @TaraGil @Madbrad200

If I missed anyone who wanted to be tagged / supported me, I apologize.

4 years ago

*clears throat*

4 years ago

"I'm about to tag the hell outta everyone who has ever shown interest or supported me in this endeavor and who has not already commented on it being done yet"

4 years ago
Ninja edit; you didn't forget about me. Now I'm happy. Yay.

4 years ago

@killertype10 @Indiegirl @Dominator64z @dc2005uk @Bucky

4 years ago

@Mayana

4 years ago
Thanks for tagging me. I got a look at this when you posted a link once to the sneak peak, but can't wait to finally read everything and finish it! Currently, I think this is the best storry I ever read. So really thanks for all the work you put in this verry nice storry.

4 years ago

My profile picture is how I feel right now! Congratulations on your excellent dedication!

4 years ago

The story is amazing so far, I just left the graveyard and ran into an alley trying to escape the immortals.

This is one of the few CYS' that I just can't put down!

4 years ago

gotta get some sleep, will continue it in the morning.

4 years ago

...you did it?

You did it?!

YOU DID IT!

4 years ago

xD I did!

4 years ago
But it doesn't show up in the new stories list...?

I guess you published it some time in the past. Either way, hooray!

4 years ago

The post-apocalyptic contest.

4 years ago

Brad's right. It was actually the winner of a contest this year, lol, but I was only half-way finished with it at that time. It was way too ambitious. Took a while, but it's finally done. (I thanked Madglee in the summary due to the fact that he hosted the contest, and by doing so, gave me the idea. I'm not sure I would've ever dreamed this thing up otherwise.)

4 years ago
"This year?" I think that was last year!

4 years ago

If you're referring to the start of the contest.

4 years ago

The contest started last year, my game -won- this year ... so, I do mean this year.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Congrats! :) To say that you've worked hard on this would be an understatement.

4 years ago

=D Thanks.

4 years ago

Well done! Looking forward to reading it.

4 years ago

Thank you. Hope you all have fun. :)

4 years ago

Yay! :D! Will play soon!

4 years ago

yes

4 years ago

Glitch. Sorry folks. I'll put it back up asap.

4 years ago
I thought you were gonna do a ton of testing before publishing.

4 years ago

I played the game from start to finish four times prior to publishing. The problem was that I did everything (mostly) right. I didn't realize that there would suddenly be a dying glitch. Hell, there shouldn't be, I've died in this game plenty of times before, I'm not actually sure why this reared its ugly head now...

4 years ago

Have you found out the cause for the glitch yet?

4 years ago

I'm pretty sure I know what it is, I just don't know why it's triggering now.

4 years ago
I meant having other people test it too, lol. At this point you've seen the pages so many times you're likely to miss some obvious errors simply because you're so used to it.

4 years ago

As embarrassing as this is, I know full well what this error is, and I should've seen it coming, but I forgot it existed, and it was oddly well behaved before.

If you reset, the values seem to temporarily all hit 0, which wouldn't be such a big deal because they go back...  but some variables, "TIME", "HP," and "NAMEOFBOSSICAN'TTELLYOUCUZSPOILERS" all lead somewhere when they hit 0 / lower than a specific amount. I need to go back to every place in the game where you can reset and tell the game to put the value back to what it was.

4 years ago
*plays patient elevator music* This might take a while. Though it's good it wasn't anything that bad.

4 years ago

You might be surprised how few ways you can die in this game.

4 years ago
When you hit reset they should just go back to default values on your variable page.

4 years ago

Should. Yes. But initially, they all hit 0.

4 years ago
So you're saying the system sets them to 0 first, then to the defaults?

In that case, why not just make a "Reset" variable. Give it a value of 1, then on the page where you have the ( "TIME", "HP," and "NAMEOFBOSSICAN'TTELLYOUCUZSPOILERS" ) stuff, add on "Reset = 1", AKA - it's not being reset at the moment.

Maybe change the name to NotReset, since that makes a bit more sense.

4 years ago

Yes. Unfortunately, that is precisely what it does.

I'll be honest, I don't totally follow (though I probably have the general idea), but there are only like... four reset pages in the game, so... I was just going to tell the link to put them back to their proper values.

4 years ago
Your issue is you have a link set to go off if 3 variables hit 0. Since they always hit 0 on a reset, which is not when you want it to occur, you have an issue.

The solution is to create a variable that will never hit 0 under normal conditions, and to set it to 1. Then you check to make sure that variable is 1 before making the redirect.

So the problem of only checking for variables equal to 0 is solved by adding one that you want equal to 1, and will only be equal to 0 in the event of a restart.

4 years ago

He did. I found a small glitch that he must have missed.  (If you die in the fire of the house and click Reset Story, then it takes you to a completely unrelated page without any links.)

4 years ago
Oh well, "do overs" are always fun!  :P

Actually, though, I hadn't gotten to the new part yet (I don't think), so it's alright.

4 years ago

Unless you went past the guild, then nope.

4 years ago

*laugh* How many of these did I make... ? So far I'm up to at least 7 variables that have this effect. Dammit.

4 years ago

Ok! All reset links have been fixed. (Multiple endings don't have one, just an "end game, leave comments", thankfully.) I'll put the game back up now, sorry for the delay. As I've already tested the other ways to end this game and the general mechanics ad nauseam, there should be no further problems.

4 years ago

Damn it, I had a save!

4 years ago

xD I know, I'm sorry... to make up for it, anyone who lost their place and needs tips on getting back, feel free to ask.

4 years ago

It's fine, I got back pretty easily.

4 years ago

So. While you guys play T.O.W., I'll be posting walk-throughs and working on my next project, albeit with less of a one-track mind. I guess, as I said, I'll focus more on Magick Academy, since it's been the most requested--though I'll probably work on Devil's Chess in tandem.

4 years ago

Found a mistake on the page titled "acceptance" when you save the girl "Selene". On the eighth paragraph it says "Selene looks so happy when you read to him."

Was kinda awkward.

4 years ago
Hating on transgenders? You bigot!

Ironic given the page's name, haha.

4 years ago

xD I had a tendency to write a bunch of pages for one of the two (sometimes Darren, sometimes Selene,) and then re-purpose them for the other. (Because, even though they both exist in the same universe, Darren and Selene are treated as the same entity.) As much as I tried to cover my tracks, I'm not surprised I missed one. xD Thanks.

4 years ago

How do I rescue Selene from Pandora?! I lit my sword on fire, but that's as far as I got.

4 years ago

The first molotov cocktail in a millennia.

4 years ago
Ignore this useless comment.

4 years ago
No. I will not.

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

... Is what I said when I received this notice: "You got a new trophy! - 9/14/2015
Given by EndMaster on 09/14/2015 - For continuing to put out quality work"

Thanks, man. The morale boost is greatly appreciated. :D And my collection is almost complete, muwahahaha...! 

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago
Oh yeah! Well deserved! Congrats!

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

Thanks. :D

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

Fasteriskck yeah, indeed.

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

xD Eh...?

Trophy!!!

4 years ago

Congats Kiel!

Trophy!!!

4 years ago

Thank you. :D

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago
Excellent!  There's no one more deserving.  ;)

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

I dunno about that, but thank you.

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

Well done Bro...

...That's the last time I say bro. EVER!

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

xD Lies, you will say it again...!

(I mean, probably, I dunno.) 

F*CK YEAH!

4 years ago

#Noice

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Alright, so, I'm probably going to keep TOW published til the end of the month / slightly longer because I want to give everyone who currently has a save an opportunity to reach an ending / endings. The reasons for me saying 'slightly longer' are that I'm willing to give a brief extension (say, a week or so) to anyone who needs it when October rolls around and that I will be moving soon. I do readily welcome any notes concerning critiques, typos, glitches, exc, and I'll be looking for reviews to recommend for featuring if anyone wants the extra points. :P 

Once I take it down, I'll try and address all the issues that were brought to my attention. Thank you all for your patience and again, for all of the praise, advice, and encouragement. Glad you guys are having fun playing around in the cruel world I created, lol. :3 

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Found an error on the page from the last chapter titled "Climbing up and over." It repeats the same 3 paragraphs. The only difference is that the first set says that I don't have enough experience climbing and I stumble. Then the second paragraph says that I get over just fine because I have enough climbing experience. Probably a scripting error or something.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Yeah, TeV caught that one earlier and told me. It also has an HP penalty which is only supposed to activate if you -don't- have enough experience. I probably just made the variable requirements the same by accident. Thank you, though. Congrats on getting to the forsaken lands, by the way. You're on the final main chapter. Granted, you have quite a few more hurdles before the finale itself, but you're getting close.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Speaking of glitches, on some pages there's two choices, but they're the same choice. But when you click on them, they're different outcomes. Was this intentional or no?

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

You're talking about the part in Satorius to rescue Darren or Selene, I assume. If yes, well, that was likely the result of me trying to fix a bug in the editor. Sometimes links have just glitched out on me and my solution is occasionally to make a new one. That particular area gave me some problems, but after they stopped, I may have forgotten to clean up the evidence. xD

On the other hand, if you're talking about something else, please elaborate.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

I was talking about something else. One is actually in Satorius, though.

After you completely rek Pandora and her guards, and you save Darren/Selene. The choice when you have to console them over the deaths of their aunt/uncle. There's two "attempt to console" choices that have different outcomes.

Then, when wandering the desert/wasteland, If you consume a health item, two "Wander" choices will come up on the next page with different outcomes.

At first I thought the Satorius one was intentional, but then other instances come up.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Well, like I said, the first I knew about.

I... did not know about the second, but if I'm correct about -why- it happens, I may not be able to fix it. xD I'll investigate it, though. Thank you.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

I assumed you were talking about the first time you rescued them. I apologize.

As for the second, It only occurs after using a healing Item, and if you use it on the last "day" you need to reach your destination, all the second choice does is add another "nothing exciting happens" page.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

No, no, sorry I wasn't clear.

I see ... hmm.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
Since you're going to be taking it down anyway, did you want to take the bullet points off of the beginning few links? I could tell you how if you'd like (it's the least I can do since I shamelessly stole some of that code for my next project).

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

THIEF! Yeah, sure. It'd be nice to know.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Alright. Do you know Zikara's trick for making on-page links that are associated with real links?

Found here

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
If you don't know how to do the above, take a moment to read it and figure out how (you'll need to know it).

Now, I'm running other the assumption (correct me if I'm wrong), that you put all the code for the pictures inside the actual link text (hence why the bullets are at the side).

So, here's what you do. First paste the link code on your page:
[a onclick="PostBack('FollowLink','1');return false;" href="#"]LINK [/a]

^That (but with the correct brackets and number instead of 1).

Copy and paste the code currently in your link to where it says LINK. It'll be a big mess of things, but that's all you need to do to get it on the page.

Now, here's the important part: disable the actual links. By disable, I mean make it so they can't appear. Personally, I created a variable called disable, set it to 0, never touched it anywhere in my story, and said the link will appear when it is 1 (AKA - it can never appear).

You can delete the text in the links, but since they're disabled they won't appear anyway.

Now the link will work as normal. Keep in mind that even if the link is being used on the page, it still runs all the scripts associated with the link (hence why you want to disable the link, not delete it).

That all make sense?

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
Or just use css?

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

It doesn't look complicated, just busy and potentially annoying. That said, I'll come back to this when my brain stops refusing to process scripting. It's been exceptionally hard to think straight lately.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
You already have the hard part down (the pictures switching). In reality all this is is moving things around and making a link disabled.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago

Aaaalso, you can use CSS sprites instead of JavaScript for the changing of pictures, but that's a whole nother beast.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
Am I reading this right? You just want to remove the dot that appears before the link item, right? This will do it:

li { list-style-type: none; }

(added to CSS in a global script).

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
Kind of missing the point of why I'm saying to do it this way, lol.

If Kiel learns how to do it this way, in the future he can make any text or picture on a normal page into a real link in his storygames, which could have some really cool effects.

TOW Announcement

4 years ago
Fair enough (I was indeed missing the point, but I get it now)!

4 years ago
I guess this thread should be used to motivate Kiel to have a rest fow now... but only briefly, because we need him to finish Magick Academy, The Devil's Chess, etc.

4 years ago

Don't need motivating for that, I haven't really been able to touch any of my projects lately. My productivity just ground to a halt.

4 years ago

Why?

4 years ago

I seem to be subconsciously avoiding writing right now. Maybe it's my mild depression acting up, maybe it's my anxiety over the coming move, maybe I'm worn out from TOW and I need a break--whatever the reason, I kept finding myself distracted or just not feeling like it. I've been exciting about D.C. and M.A. for a long time, so I'm a little surprised at myself ... but I'm sure I'll feel up to it again soon.

4 years ago
I'd say that you are entitled to a break.  The work you did on TOW and the pace you'd set for yourself (not to mention all the IRL stuff) had to have taken its toll.  You wouldn't want to burn yourself out.  ;)

Updates / Magick Academy / TOW

4 years ago

Since it's been over two weeks, I figured I could update you guys on "what have I been up to, aside from the writing exercises I clearly won't shut up about?" xD

Well, for those of you who don't know, I live in Texas. Yes, our barbeque is damn good, no, I do not have a giant belt buckle, yes, I have a large hat, but no, it's actually part of a samurai costume, and yes, I like boots, but not that kind. This is relevant because I am about to move to Arizona. In ... fifteen days. My spine is behaving itself for those that knew about the injury, so I may not need to have needles jammed into it after all. Yippee. Now, onto stuff relating to CYS:

I plan on taking The Other World back down today. I was just given an extensive, painstakingly compiled list of errors to fix by TheNewIAP. I will also be compiling the other errors PMed to me / posted in the story thread so that I can address all of them. I hope to get it featured once this final polishing is complete.

In the meantime, I have been working on Magick Academy, but very slowly. Fact is, this thing is bigger than The Other World and A Game of Life and Death. Perhaps bigger than them both combined. TacocaT and Soundstorm have generously agreed to assist me with the compilation of my character roster and dialogue compilation. 

I've also been contemplating some of the mechanics. I confess, the grading system is a concept that's been troubling me. If anyone has any insight, it's appreciated.

I assume I'll have to compile a number of tests and other graded activities and have a maximum amount of points for the year, then have it work off a range. For example, if every test was worth 100 points max and there were 2000 points available in a year, then obv anything below 1200 would be a failing grade for the year...

But for your grade as you went along ... let's say, by the 16th day, you've taken 3 tests = 300 points.

IF %DAY = 16 THEN
IF %POINTS >= 270 THEN
%GRADE := 1

And on the page... Your Current Overall Grade: %%GRADE%=%1%A%%%%GRADE%=%2%B%%%%GRADE%=%3%C%%%%GRADE%=%4%D%%%%GRADE%=%5%F%% 

Anyone foresee any hiccups with this method?

4 years ago

1.Hey, my cousins live in Arizona.

2.Hope your spine heals well

3.Good, I just completed it.

4.I got a bad ending, and I didn't get to bang Nikki or Selene );

4 years ago

1. Small world, no?

2. So do I. The whole "losing sensation in my hands for over 8 hours" thing was kind of unnerving.

3. I saw the review. ^^ Thank you.

4. xD Well, if you wanted to bang Nikki (off-screen, sorry--though I dunno that anyone cares, haha) you should've stayed when s/he asked, and actually ... that is the bad ending, for everyone else, anyway. Abandoning your responsibilities to humanity to settle down and have a nice life is portrayed as kind of a dick move, lol.

4 years ago

XD

4 years ago

You can probably simplify it with a %MAXPOINTS variable and some math.

IF (100 * %POINTS / %MAXPOINTS) >= 90 THEN %GRADE := 1
ELSE IF (100 * %POINTS / %MAXPOINTS) >= 80 THEN %GRADE := 2
ELSE IF (100 * %POINTS / %MAXPOINTS) >= 70 THEN %GRADE := 3
ELSE IF (100 * %POINTS / %MAXPOINTS) >= 60 THEN %GRADE := 4
ELSE %GRADE := 5

4 years ago

But other than the possibility of simplifying, no foreseen issues?

4 years ago

No; that should also work for you.

4 years ago

Damn, there's a lot of typos in this thing... *queues up three full youtube music playlists* this is going to take a while.   

4 years ago

Go Kiel, Go! *Waves pompons*

4 years ago

Alright, that is officially the weirdest damn bug that I have ever encountered. As some of you are already aware, there was a big problem with rescuing Selene / Darren without successfully rescuing their family. It's because the chapter that lead into was severely glitching out. Don't ask me why, because I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

It would let you get about two pages in, then no further. Didn't matter what I did. No new pages I created could get past the bug. The weirdest part is that the only scripting I was using for that chapter was all just stupid simple stuff. So I completely copied and pasted the entire chapter's contents into a new chapter and now it works perfectly. Go figure, huh?

Thank GOD this only happened with a chapter that was six pages long. X_x It would've been a disaster for one of the mains.

The Other World finished for real?

4 years ago

... Damn, I think I did it. I just re-read all of the PMs and posts concerning the errors / glitches in my game to make sure, and it looks like I've addressed every issue. I'm going to do another final run-through, but considering this is everything you guys (and gals) found, I doubt I'll discover anything new.

4 years ago

That was fast.

4 years ago

... I felt especially motivated? I'm not totally sure what came over me.

4 years ago

Determination.

The Other World finished! For real!

4 years ago

Ok. My play-through actually did reveal a couple of exceptionally miniscule things I hadn't considered before. Nothing really noticeable, just places that could use a tad more polish and I did that, soo... we're good. It's back up, folks, and it's staying this time. Also, if you'll notice, the story now has an official cover! =D Courtesy of an amazing artist friend of mine. It's a picture of the Lady of the Library. If you don't know who that is ... well, you'll have to play the game to find out. :P Thanks again, everyone. 

So. Someone should totally go get that point for recommending this thing for featuring, huh? :P ... Right? Maybe? ... Anybody ...? *crickets*

4 years ago

She has exceptionally large tits for a library lady.

4 years ago

Not really. She's a goddess. I made a point of stating she was supposed to be late twenties to early thirties, so she'd have an appropriate figure. (I also recall using the words "youthful" and "motherly") "Lady of the Library" is a title. :P And I asked my friend to go off of the Greek / Roman goddess aesthetic a bit--of course, since a lot of Greek goddesses are -naked-, I added that I wasn't going THAT far with it.  

4 years ago
aww.

4 years ago

xD I'm not going to put a naked woman on the cover of a story game. C'mon, man! This is a family site! ... A family site that has LOVESICK, Despiteous, and cat sex stories as some of its notable entries. We can't have BOOBs here! ... Waaaait a minute...

4 years ago

I always imagined the Lady of the library something like Bellatrix LeSTRANGE from HP.

4 years ago
I like the artwork, but the animals depicted don't look like statues to me.  :P

4 years ago

:P They're spirit animals floating around a goddess in the middle of a library that exists in a dimensional rift in a post-apocalyptic version of our world ruled over by a witch queen and they were drawn by someone who has never read the story. xD That said, they are capable of changing their appearance and being exposed to our world can have some odd effects on them.

Anyway, I think they look great.

Edit: And that owl could totally be a statue, if he just stood really, really still.  :3

4 years ago
Yeah, it's a great pic.  I've seen stuffed animals IRL that suddenly jumped or turned to look at me when I got close.  ...and mounted ones, too.

4 years ago

...You've been attacked by stuffed animals and mounted animals? O_o ... You realize that you're supposed to make sure the critter is dead first, right?

4 years ago
My cousin had her bed covered with stuffed animals, and laying in the middle of it was her Pekingese which didn't look as real as some of the toys.

Another time, I was at a tourist stop in Canada, looking at all the pelts and mounted animals on display when the full mount behind glass suddenly moved.  It wasn't a cage, it was just the outside and the black bear just happened to have ventured up to a sliding glass door.

Edit:  I guess I was the one on display in that instance.  XD

Double Edit:  ...and I've been chased by almost every type of animal in North America at one time or another.  The porcupine was the funniest, though, because I was fleeing backward and didn't have time to turn around and he was charging me in reverse.  XD

4 years ago

Congratulations, it looks fantastic and the writing is brilliant :) I'm pretty sure it'll be up and featured by the end of the week :D

4 years ago

You know, you put the 'possible' in 'impossible'. 

4 years ago

I just imagined Kiel in Kim Possible cosplay with her theme song playing in the background.

4 years ago

XD I used to love that show.

4 years ago

Ooohh yeahh yeah
I'm your basic average author
And I'm here to write the Other World
You can't stop me
Cause I'm Kiel Pos-si-ble
There is nothin' I can't script
So when the trophy calls
Just know that I am on my way

It doesn't matter where or
When there's questions
If ya just tag my name
@Kiel_Possible

Forum me, PM me if ya
Wanna reach me
When ya want help with page script it's okay
Whenever you need me newbie
Forum me, PM me if ya
Wanna reach me
(Forum me, PM me if ya
Wanna reach me)

Doesn't matter where
Doesn't matter when
I will be there for ya til ya ignore my advice
Writing or scripting
I'm there after my double shift
You know that you always can write to
Kiel Possible
(So what's the glitch?)
Forum me, PM me if ya
Wanna reach me

Click here for the original.

4 years ago

*shakes head in silence*

Attention, world: I have a theme song now!

4 years ago

Haha... thanks, this made me smile. xD I actually remember the original pretty well because, yes, I watched that show. (I was 11 when it came out, I think.) In all fairness, it is a catchy song.

4 years ago
Saw thread title -> realized, hey, I'm part of the world -> saw "i have a theme song now" -> fuckin lame -> listened to it -> fuckin worth it. GG everyone go home now

*makes Kiel_Possible account* :O SNIPED!

*begins to code the best looking alt profile on the site*

Kiel_Possible: Farren by day, Possible by night - well written essay in the streets, unmoderated comments section in the sheets! IT'S KIEL_POSSIBLE!

4 years ago

4 years ago

Impeccable style.

4 years ago

Damn it, Ford... xD

4 years ago
Everybody loves you in their own way. This is Ford showing he cares xD

4 years ago

Well, I suppose he did capture my alter ego's sexiness fairly well, I can see why I did me to make him... wait, what?

Lol, eh, I doubt that first part, but ... you're probably right about the latter. xD

@Ford - I care about you, too, brat. :P

4 years ago
@Kiel_Farren - I couldn't possibly care less about you.

4 years ago

I knew it! Screw you, too!

I'm pretty sure you could, you're just lazy. xD

4 years ago

So, my insomnia's being rude again. Figured I'd work a little on Magick Academy, since there's no point getting back into bed if I can't sleep. I decided a while back that this was going to be a "week by week" thing, with you seeing only one day in said week, because doing each individual day would be insane. I have 36 main students to juggle, all of whom are supposed to be able to interact with you and have different dialogue during different situations, exc.

And this game is supposed to span four years of the protagonist's life, soo... yeah. It's still a lot. The thing I'm wondering now, is whether I should go the route of "three semesters and 39 weeks per year" (adding up to a total of 156 "days" not including holidays because those are the other parts of the year / special events) or "four semesters and 48 weeks per year" which would be 192.

Granted, I'm not sure what school honestly does the latter because I could swear summer break and spring break and winter break all add up to more than four weeks, and that's all you'd allegedly be getting, so I'd probably mess with it a bit. I'm leaning toward the former because I don't want to overdo it ... but again, this is kinda like harvest moon. You've got lots of tasks you can do, people to talk to, places to poke around, money to earn, things to buy, friendships to cultivate, and you'll be on a time limit. 

4 years ago

*fiddling with summaries of current projects* ... My muse is on strike at the moment. Moving has obliterated my creative abilities.

4 years ago

*pokes own muse* Since you aren't working for me, will you work for Captain Kiel here? Please?

(Magik Academy, mini rg maybe, to get you going?)

4 years ago

(Sounds like a good plan. I don't suppose you have an instant messenger / skype, do you?)

4 years ago

Er, nope. 

4 years ago

(really late double send. 0.o)

4 years ago

In that case, PM is fine.

Concerning TOW and its errors

4 years ago

Update:

I know multiple people have complained about an error trying to get to through the pathway where you save Darren or Selene. Yes, I have encountered this error in the past and made numerous attempts to fix it. Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate this error any longer. I made an entirely new chapter with entirely new coding, and when I play through the game, (regardless of whether it's on a phone or my computer, logged in or otherwise) there is no error. I cannot explain why you've encountered this. I'm sorry, I can't fix something I can't find or explain. ^^;  

Killa_Robot has also encountered a "blank page" error when trying to run through the Praeda Hills area, and I've tried several times, but I cannot duplicate that error, either. 

4 years ago

Not sure if it's the same bug (though I think it is) I still can't seem to save any of them. I've tried to use everything in my inventory, tried looting everything, tried making just the sword fire. Is there anything I'm missing? Is there something really special you need to do to save Darren or Selene?

the only way I can get pass the area is to let them die, if not I'll just die in the fight. :/ 

Love the game, would just love to save Darren.

4 years ago

@Stein - Several people, myself included, have confirmed that it's possible to rescue them all. (I've gone so far as to test it recently.) It's just very difficult. You need to have enough skill, you need to assemble the parts for a molotov cocktail, you need the sword flame, you need to light your molotov and throw it successfully, you need to get down the tower with the rope, you need enough skill to climb the wall fast enough to reach all three of them before Darren does anything stupid...

And then you should automatically defeat the enemies up there and help Darren get them both off the roof in time.

If you are dying, then no, I can tell you with absolute confidence that it is not a bug. (The bug mentioned actually breaks the page and shows a site error.) You failed one of the aforementioned steps and died as a result. In fact, that even tells me which step.

4 years ago

Ah well good to know then, got the sword flame, bottle of alchole and the cloth. Guess I just derped around and didn't do the righ combo to make the Molotov. 

Guess thats something for the next play through.

4 years ago

Indeed, and honestly, saving him or the girl is a nice gesture, but not required for full score due to the plot of the game.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Magick Academy: So... I'd tell you what's been keeping me busy IRL, but it'd take too long and I'd rather not bore or worry anyone on here anyway. Suffice it to say, I have not forgotten about my projects here, I have just had very little time to get into any kind of writing "groove" and even when I have been given time, I have not been in the right mindset. That said, I'm very slowly gaining ground and motivation again.

As for anyone waiting on Devil's Chess, yes, it's been on my mind, too. It's still taking a backseat to M.A., partly because I keep hoping Quiller will return to CYS. Why? Well, Aerien is why. If you've read The Other World's fourth chapter, you know who he is in regards to GOLAD canon, but I no longer have access to the feedback of his creator, which is awkward.

Completed Main Chapters: 0/??
Completed Mini Chapters: 0/??

Page Count: 389 / ????

4 years ago

Shit, this is gonna be fucking huge. How many pages are you normally getting down in one session?

4 years ago

I have no idea. And yes. Yes it is. >_> I mean, there are 60 different variations of the protagonist. There are 36 students you're able to interact with and learn about, then you've got the teachers, and the familiars, and the tests and the tournaments and ... well. Yeah. It's a lot. x.x

4 years ago

Kiel, we love you and everything, but why are you always trying to kill yourself with work? Are you a closet masochist?

4 years ago

Maybe. Maybe the truth is that I don't care for the idea of slogging through this world for a long time, but I want to leave something behind that will bring people joy in my absence when I'm no longer able to take care of the people in my life. Maybe I always feel like nothing I ever do is good enough for recognition so I keep pushing myself to work harder and harder because I want to at least make one thing in my lifetime that I'm truly proud of. Maybe part of me really does want to die, but I know my family would never forgive me if I tried doing myself in directly and this method is less messy. Or maybe I just really love to write. Who knows? 

4 years ago
Whew, this thread is still a thing? ;)

Yeah, I'm kidding, its just been long since an update. Good to hear that you're doing well (since if you're busy IRL, that sure beats being dead or in jail). I think maybe its something in the air, because I'm in the same place you are. I've got one big one that gets looked once a week, but little progress. I've got a writing weekend scheduled in Feb, so maybe I'll get some done there. Keep up the updates, it is good to hear about progress!

4 years ago

It seems everyone's getting more productive this year, concerning you and a few other (relatively) young adults.

4 years ago

Where the hell is my sense of focus? I swear, I had one at some point. It wasn't great, but it was mine and it got the job done. Come baaaaack...! I need you. ._.

4 years ago

Do you need someone to continue mini-rping with?

4 years ago

... I can't concentrate on anything. I probably wouldn't be able to RP, either.

4 years ago
Hey look, squirrel!

4 years ago
If you manage to find your way back—  let me know how you did it, okay?  :)

4 years ago

I haven't found it yet. Honestly, I feel like I'm drowning in my own head.

4 years ago
Quick, grab this rope! I'll pull!

4 years ago

Heh. I dunno, the water's nice and getting out just takes so much effort... 

4 years ago
Come on, Mr. Man! Don't go into the light!

4 years ago

Quit struggling. Just let the nice cool water overtake you and embrace briny death…

(Apologies, but I'm required to say that.)

4 years ago

Apologies? You're getting soft, End!

(Which I approve of wholeheartedly. ;)

4 years ago

If I agreed to do something for you and have not done it yet, the  feel free to tackle me today and tomorrow, my days off. Otherwise, I will devote whatever time I have not promised to others or adult errands to equal parts story writing and screwing around in the nerdiest ways possible.

4 years ago

I've been almost useless on my work days because of how tired I've been and how little time I have. My days off, though, have actually been worse lately. I've been struggling to keep a friend of mine alive... and it's a battle I'm slowly losing. If I seem a bit short tempered lately, I'm just drained right now. Honestly, I slept almost all day yesterday to compensate, and considering my insomnia... that's surprising.

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Magick Academy: I've been using my laptop to type up the occasional page when I have downtime. Unfortunately, my laptop does not have internet while I'm working. No wifi. So I'll have to find time to transfer the text and scripting later. It's really just all first meetings and their variations with the main group of student in the cast. So far, I've worked with three of the guys and two of the girls--mostly from the Pyrus dorm. I already have three favorite cast members. :)

Page Count: +389 / ????

4 years ago

I think I already have a favourite cast member too.

4 years ago

Squuuueeeeeeeee! :D

So, I miiiiight be doing a magic school next myself? But! I am such a fan of the genre, I can't wait to see what you do with yours. ^_~

4 years ago

UPDATE: The Magick Academy: So, working on the 6th (out of 36) student's first conversation with the protagonist. Of course, there are at least 10 different variations on each initial conversation. Whee. I am doing part of this via RP to help me keep these characters separate and give them enough personality. The page count isn't increasing, however, because I'm using scripting to cram five pages into one and most of these already existed or aren't in the editor yet. 

Page Count: +389 / ????

4 years ago

Damn, how long is this thing going to be?

4 years ago

Assuming I actually finish, longer than anything else I ever written in my life.

4 years ago

Sounds good so far.

Keep it going, Kiel!

4 years ago

Kiel! Progress! Yay! ^_^

4 years ago
Wheeeee!

4 years ago

Oh, yeah. Wasn't I working on a story or something...? :P

4 years ago

Magic Academy

4 years ago

YES. YES YOU WERE.

Do you need betas? Coffee? A cheerleading squad? Bribery? Just say the word, because I need this game like a crack addict needs their next fix.

4 years ago

Hehe

A month's vacation, a bottle of Xanax (either to throw at friends or consume), a truck load of monster energy drinks, and for everyone currently depending on my daily assistance to leave me the hell alone. xD If you could manage that, I'd be able to finish MA, DC, and KFSP no problem. :P

(On a more serious note--not that I was totally kidding before, but hey--you're the last person who should offer to bribe me, as you actually have the ability to do so, lol. xD)

4 years ago

Perhaps an EXP point'll change your mind. Wink wink, nudge nudge? No? Okay, I go away now. choose rock.

4 years ago

:P I'm not sure whether to scold you for throwing a match or to be skeptical and assume this is a trick.

Edit: In the end, I did believe you, but to take the win would've been cheating, so a tie it is. Thanks, though.

4 years ago

No need for the thanks. It is what we do here in the mafia. Pleasure doing the business with you. *shakes hand, secretly handing you an EXP.* Shhhhhh....

4 years ago

xD

4 years ago
Maybe. I seem to remember something about a story...

4 years ago

... So I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Guess that's what I get for doing paperwork all night and gaming / writing all day.

4 years ago

Aw. Are you okay?

4 years ago

Fuck man, I hope you get better :(

4 years ago

A little unsettled. My mom had CTS, and while it's not common to need surgery to correct it, she did. The other problem is that I went in for a headache, (one that's been on and off for three weeks) and ... I still need an MRI for that, maybe a CT. So, I don't even know what all is wrong with me.

4 years ago

Wow, just googled it and it sounds like it sucks. If the cause was being in a single position for too long, my advice would be when writing or doing whatever you do on the Internet or playing games, to take a short 5-10 minute break ever hour where you get up and just walk around for a bit. Maybe go to the kitchen and make yourself a hot pocket or have a swig of booze, I dunno.

But I hear this simple break can dramatically decrease back and neck pain as well. So I hope this post helps.

4 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate that. I do take breaks, but I think the braces I got should help a lot.

4 years ago
Think about other things and write; I find that helps. And medical professionals tend to over diagnose and over require CTs and MRIs just to be on the safe side, even if there's not really a problem that justifies it. Something as simple as a migrane can cause all kinds of weird things, like flashing bands of light and dark across your eyes, so there's no point in worrying until you actually get the scans done.

4 years ago

xD Except that writing is part of the reason I have CTS, lol... thanks for the advice, though.

4 years ago
Double wrist brace all night, every night, woot woot!

But seriously, they should help.

4 years ago

Yeah. I bought some, I was wearing them around town for a bit to test them out. I already hate them. xD

4 years ago
You wore them out in public?

I just wear mine at night. By now I barely even notice, and unless I'm doing something strenuous I'm usually fine for the day.

4 years ago

:P For a bit, yeah. (It's not like I went inside anywhere with them, except the car.) Why? And I don't know if you know this, but best case scenario (and short term at that,) you wouldn't take them off while your wrists are healing. I've known a couple people who needed to wear them throughout the day for pain relief. 

4 years ago
I don't think I'd be able to stand wearing them during the day, let alone actual work with them on. Then again mine are specifically for sleeping, so maybe others are more accommodating.

How long have you been going with wrist pain before being diagnosed?

4 years ago

Well ... around five years, actually. The symptoms started back in college, I mentioned it to my primary at the time, and CTS did not come up as a possibility. It's not like the pain was severe to me, it was more of a numbness issue for a long time. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't ignore it and there was another explanation. When it got worse, about 6-7 months ago, she was sure it was my spine--and yeah, my spine is not a happy camper, but upon getting a second opinion due to it continuing to get worse, apparently I have multiple problems with my nerves. Yippie. 

4 years ago

Hope you get better :(

We can't lose your writing ability!

4 years ago
Ah, so it's probably just more severe for you. Mine was only happening for about 6 months until it had a big flare up or something, where I could barely use my hand for the day. Been on computers all my life, so I figured CTS was just a matter of time. I think I bought my first wrist brace the very same day, lol. Also use a nice jelly-like mousepad for my wrist at my home computer.

I find it odd how wrist issues took that long to diagnose as CTS though.

4 years ago

Ah, yeah, I had one of those jelly things once. I wonder what I did with it. Probably lost it in a move.

Again, compound issues. Having more than one problem makes it difficult to sort out why you're having it. =\

4 years ago
Sounds like you need some good drugs and Dragon Naturally.. ;)

Good luck with the pain management!

4 years ago

Aw, man. Sympathy & hopes for a speedy recovery.

4 years ago

Thank you. I should be back to typing up monstrously large games in no time. ;) 

4 years ago

... My right wrist is actually acting up worse than before today, even with wearing the brace while I slept. =| Hm. Hopefully it just needs more time, but I was told to give it a week.

4 years ago

Damn. Sorry to hear that. My housemate had a more complex case that was misdiagnosed as garden-variety tendonitis, so I know they're not always right about this stuff. Fingers crossed for you.