Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises Restart - Week Nine

8 years ago

Week Nine - This will thread will contain a week's worth of writing exercises to be completed each day. I'm going to award W.P. (writing points~) for completed assignments, it's 1 W.P. per regular assignment, 5 per bonus. If I make a super bonus assignment, I will tell you what it's worth individually. (Please bear in mind that I will not award points / will deduct points for incomplete / improperly completed assignments and I cannot award points past the days of the week in question. Thank you.)

You may do as many or as few as you please. Anyone is allowed to join up at any time, but please let me know in a PM if you want to be added to our tag list because only people on the tag list will be awarded points. Also, you may leave the exercises at any time. Please tell me if you wish to be removed, though. I will not remove you unless you request it.

Our goal here: Fun, encouragement of young and old writers, and self-improvement. :D

ONE IMPORTANT RULE: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OTHER WRITER'S POST. I created a feedback thread, please use it: Link! My insistence on this is to ensure that other writers can edit as needed, and while it is possible to unlock posts, it's best not to create any more work for our admins / mods than necessary. Thank you for your cooperation. =) 

8 years ago

Monday! "Randomness" week. As in, randomly generated.

Write an hundred word newspaper editorial on the accidental shooting of the last giant panda. Bonus: Write a 100-200 word editorial on what happened to all the other giant pandas.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT , @Chris113022 , @jamescoker1226  , @bilbo

(I decided to test out an exercise generator for this week. I tweaked a lot of the exercises and added my own bonuses, but let's give it a go, shall we? ... Also, since the rest of the holidays are coming up, anyone else feel like a break after this week?)

8 years ago

To clarify: The first exercise is 100 words or less. (Though I may overlook a couple extra words.) The second is supposed to be at least 100 words and no more than 200.

8 years ago
The events of last Thursday evening provide more evidence of the epidemic taking over this country. Weng Fu’s life shall not have been lost in vein. His death may have been just an accident, but the accident never could have happened if we banned the source of the accident. This event shows again the need to ban zoos because if we would not have zoos, Weng Fu never would have been in the zoo to be accidentally shot!

Bonus:

Today is the anniversary of a time now long past. It was 50 years ago today, yet so many people and children today do not understand the significance of this day. 100 years ago there were hundreds, if not thousands of giant pandas roaming the plains. But that’s when Tim Jones, yet, THAT Tim Jones, decided he didn’t like giant pandas galloping across his ranch. He went on a personal quest to eliminate all the giant pandas in the world and in 50 years he reached his goal. That’s why there are none left today and still so many schools hold up Tim Jones as a hero to inventing interstellar travel. Sure, he did invent interstellar travel, but what about the Pandas?

8 years ago

*West China City News - English Edition: Opinion/Editorial Pages*

Some of you that don't follow the news of the West like I do might never have heard of Walter Palmer prior to this week.  Well, let's just say that this big game hunter from America (big surprise, I know) was just a few months ago receiving a lot of criticism for going to Africa and shooting an endangered lion.  News outlets here didn't pick up on the story because historically, we've thought it brave to conquer tigers and the like... albeit with spears or bows, not high-powered rifles.
          Our failure to keep an eye on the West has finally come full circle, though, when we let this odd foreigner just walk right up to our last precious panda, Mei Mei, and shoot her in the neck and stroll off without so much as a stern talking-to!  Where were all the PAP then, huh?  They've got no problem harassing me for jaywalking, but this American walks right up and shoots Mei Mei no problem?
          This is not the China I grew up in, let me tell you.  And if by some miracle you're reading this, Walter Palmer?  I hope your parents are very, very disappointed in you.
                                                                                          - Bo Ai, Chengdu, Sichuan province

8 years ago

EDIT: 100-word version (not counting Title or Signature)...

If you don't follow the West, you've never heard of Walter Palmer before.  This dentist from America was - recently - receiving criticism for shooting a lion in Africa.  News outlets here didn't run the story because it's brave to conquer tigers, etc. ... albeit with bows, not rifles.
          Our neglect of the West has come full circle: we've let this foreigner approach our last giant panda, yell: "DIE, you Chinese Koala!", and shoot her.  Where were the PAP then?  They've got no problem harassing me for jaywalking, but this American walks right up and kills Mei Mei with impunity?

- Bo Ai, Chengdu, Sichuan province

8 years ago

*BONUS* ---

With all due respect to Bo Ai from yesterday's Op/Ed Pages, the giant pandas are indigenous to the glorious People's Republic of China only.  It took a lot more than some silly, confused American to drive those great bears to the brink of extinction.  It took a years-long campaign from our fearless President Xi Jinping, who (in his great wisdom) saw the dangers that the giant pandas posed to our humble citizens in our most remote provinces.
          Had our peaceful and generous leader not arranged for the giant pandas to be hunted by the PAP until there was only one token bear left (oddly enough, to please American diplomats), then our every beautiful suburb would have been overrun with those monsters each night.  Perhaps instead of keeping an eye on the news of the West, you should concentrate on what concerns you here in our exemplary nation.
                                                                           - Commander-in-Chief, People's Armed Police

8 years ago

The world witnessed a great triumph last week when the last giant mutant panda was destroyed. The event took place late Friday when a young man bravely went out to the reported location of the last panda.

"I was out for a walk with my cat. I didn't know the area was dangerous. Has anyone seen my cat?" he discloses. Locals report the youth not only shot the bear's head clean off, but returned to the village holding the head aloft.

"Yeah, I uh, I think I shot something. I don't know. It was dark. The noise startled me so much I guess I dropped my cat. I thought I found it, but it turns out it was just some bear head. I'm really worried about my cat." 

8 years ago

Bonus:

Tragedy struck last Wednesday when Hong Kong was wiped off the map. An army of mutant pandas converged on the city devouring all in their path. We turned to the science community to explain this sudden and unpreventable outbreak.

"Yes, it was entirely preventable. Everyone thought it was strange that a species of bear would prefer bamboo over meat. We could only conclude that the pandas were biding their time until they could organize a mass insurrection. We could have told people. If we wanted to," says John Cho, panda expert. In the aftermath, China is filled with displaced refugees. Offers of aid pour in from other countries. The world is united against possible future attacks and is joined in asking one simple question: Why now? 

"Panda's mutated to have unbreakable skin, oh, about two years ago. I guess we should have done something about that crazy scientist in the bamboo forests." says John Cho.

I suppose the world may never know the truth.

8 years ago

Realized this was a few words too many. Here's the better version.

The world witnessed triumph last week when the last giant mutant panda was destroyed. Late Friday, a young man boldly strode into the panda's terrain.

"I was out walking with my cat. My flashlight died. Has anyone seen my cat?" he discloses. Locals report the youth shot the bears head off and carried it to the village.

"Yeah, I think I shot something. I don't know. It was dark. The noise startled me so much that I dropped my cat and I thought I found it, but it turns out it was some bears head. I'm really worried about my cat."

8 years ago

Last giant panda shot!

"I was at the zoo with my mommy watching the panda's when some guy jumps into the cage and shoots it. I had to change my crayon drawing to have red in it." says Henry, age 35, PhD

The Chinese police have captured and beheaded the man who claimed before his death to be a part of the "beta uprising" - a movement started by the hacker named "4chan". The man was identified to actually be a woman soon after, just with lots of hair. The woman has been identified online under the pseudonym "Kiel_Farren" - more information is sure to leak about this tragedy.

8 years ago

People all across the world are sleeping soundly in their beds tonight, safe in the knowledge that the last giant panda has been slain. After fifty years of gruesome bloodshed, the Giant Panda Insurrection War has finally ended with the death of Mimi the Destroyer. She was slain earlier today by a Special Forces agent. Exact details of Mimi’s death are still unclear, as the Special Forces are unwilling to reveal the agent’s identity. However, we have been assured that her death was a suitably horrifying revenge against the war crimes she committed the world, which, following her death, is now safely back under the control of Mice.

Bonus:

Today we look back at the horrifying war known as the Giant Panda Insurrection War. It is still thought of as the greatest calamity to befall Mousekind since its ascension to becoming the dominant species on Planet Earth. There are in fact many similarities between the panda war and our own war against humanity, and many believe that these similarities should have been foreseen and avoided. After humanity gave sentience to the first mouse, Dinky the Great, Mice rose up against them and quickly gained control over the planet. Most thought this would leave us in an era of peace, but were surprised to discover scientists were experimenting on panda’s in similar ways to how humanity had experimented on us. Perhaps if we had looked to our past many lives would have been saved.

8 years ago

Tuesday!

Write the back cover blurb for a novel based on a long quest to defeat the "Lord of Evil" in his own lair. Bonus: Write a blurb for the sequel or prequel to this quest.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT , @Chris113022 , @jamescoker1226  , @bilbo , @CastleLover

8 years ago

Malkalack Q. Betaband was quite the ordinary child before his parents brought home the old chest.  He might always have been so, had he not been playing hide-and-seek with his buddy Jay-Jay that day.  For when little Mal stepped into the chest and closed the lid, he found himself bumping along in the back of the great wizard Kiel's horsecart, on the way to the city of Farren!

Come and join young Malkalack as he journeys with his new friends across the land of Chuuzyor, learn with him as he grows into a decent wizard, and cheer him on as he and his friends cross the great chasm of Storee.  There, in his lair atop the high mountain of Grahm-arr sits the Lord of Evil himself, who threatens to bring all of Chuuzyor under his terrible command.

Will Malkalack be able to stop him in time, or will he and his new friends perish on the cliffs of Grahm-arr?

8 years ago

*BONUS* ---

It has been only a few months since little Mal's brush with death atop the dangerous Mount Grahm-arr.  But the Lord of Evil was vanquished, and times began to be peaceful and prosperous once again.  Malkalack has used the time with the great wizard Kiel to learn new magics in his hometown of Farren, but he will soon find his skills put to the ultimate test.

A new threat has rolled into town - an alchemist who sells potions powerful enough to make every peasant's dreams come true... but at a terrible price.  Now, Mal must find a way to save his friend Zerka, who has fallen victim to the alluring drink, but the clock is ticking.

Will Malkalack and his friends be able to discover the alchemist's dark secret in time, or will all of Farren share in Zerka's grim fate?

8 years ago
Tin Forin was just a kid. He wanted to play outside and swim in the river. But all that was ruined one day when the Lord of Evil decided to destroy Tin’s entire village.

Join us in this quest for Tin’s revenge and follow Tin through his life as he escapes, then prepares to fulfil his lifelong vow to destroy the Lord of Evil in his own home. See Tin battle with evil mercenaries and numerous massive, monstrous minions of the Lord of Evil. Will Tin find his way to the Lord of Evil’s lair? Will he be able to defeat him, once he finds him? And will Tin find love, or will he be so blinded by his pursuit of revenge that he destroys those close to him?

Bonus

After Tin battled the Lord of Evil, what was left for him? He had spent his entire life with that one goal, one purpose, and one meaning in life. Now that the battle is over, what is left for Tin?

Join us to discover in these very pages how Tin Forin deals with his success. Follow him on his journey home from the wastelands of the lair of the Lord of Evil. See how he deals with people who he met on his way there and how he deals with them today. Find out if Tin can restore relationships with his friends and sources of information.

8 years ago

When Bobby Goodwood started his new school he thought it would be just like his old one. It would be another place where he could mess around and annoy teachers, eventually resulting in him getting kicked out. But everything changed when he met Mindy Leroux.

She told him that this seemingly simple school had a terrible secret. The head teacher was actually an evil demon who ruled over the teachers with an iron grasp. Join Bobby on his misadventures, and watch him make friends and enemies alike, and try to save his school from a terrible fate.

Bonus:

After the evil demon head teacher was overthrown Bobby Goodwood’s school was freed from its terrible grasp. Unfortunately for Bobby, none of the teachers remember what happened, and blame him for all the destruction the demon caused.

Can Bobby prove it wasn’t him that blew up the school? Join him, Mindy and his other friends once again as they go on the hunt for the demon overlord to prove his innocence.

8 years ago

Wednesday!

Write a poem beginning with the line: "For the tide grows in times of trouble..." and end it with a line about poverty. Bonus: Invent two meanings / interpretations for your poem.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT , @Chris113022 , @jamescoker1226  , @bilbo , @CastleLover

8 years ago

For the tide grows in times of trouble,

and waves crash upon the shore.

In the caves the weary walk,

searching forevermore.

In the sky, the lighting strikes,

setting fields ablaze.

In shame the sun hides it's face,

behind those dark, dark clouds.

Ricky shacks hold people,

huddling for warmth.

8 years ago
For the tide grows in times of trouble
When trouble is near, prepare for the water to double.
For trouble can be far, or it can be near
But when it is increasing, those in the know fear.
Yet fear is known to all and at all time some,
But some know fear of life each day when their time is done.
Those who fear the least are often those who have the most
And those who have the least often have the least to fear.

Bonus:

Interpretation One: The literal interpretation – the poem talks about how when actual storms are coming, the tides will start rising, as the waves far before a hurricane. People who live near the coastline know those signs and they know when to fear the tides and the water. Still, living near the water, people are always on the alert for the unknown and water can be unpredictable. The poem ends with the idea that people who have money fear the storms the most, as they have the most to lose if a massive storm were to hit.

Interpretation Two: The poem talks about romantic relationships between two people. It talks about how new romantic relationships are full of uncertainty and fear for both people in the relationship. It talks about the fear of ending a relationship and the unknown beyond that ending. The ending refers to the idea that the more one puts into a romantic relationship, the more they have to love when the relationship ends; while those who put little into it care the least when the relationship is over.

8 years ago

(The meter might sound hiccup-y in the beginning, but that's just because that line is awful.  X)  )

For the tide grows in times of trouble,
The sea churn'd up by our distress -
Our efforts we do all redouble,
To save our ship, our land caress.
The pitch and yaw may turn us o'er,
The thunder may assault our ears,
But still we fight to reach the shore,
We give our lives and all their years.
We're told: "Work hard!  It's not too late!"
As battered our poor ship becomes,
We struggle to erase our Fate,
Our totals made of all his sums.
Then cold, fey Death arrives onboard,

He points, "I have here your solution;
Prepare yourself to meet your Lord!"
And thus ends our last destitution.

8 years ago

*BONUS* ---

1st meaning - Slaves struggling to row against a tumultuous sea are told by their taskmasters that their hard work will earn them the caress of their homelands.  Alas, the only comfort provided them is the sweet embrace of death.

2nd meaning - Corporate drones are told to work harder to earn their pay that keeps them barely above poverty, if that.  They are promised that their dreams (the homelands) will come true if they just keep at it, no matter what.  We all die, and our dreams remain forever out of reach.

8 years ago

For the tide grows in times of trouble

As air expands within the lungs.

The swell of anxiety beneath the throat

Proclaims the flow of calming breaths

Soft to follow, hard to lead

Before wealth must come poverty

8 years ago

For the tide grows in times of trouble, 
Fire's hottest when the end is near,
Now here I roam amongst the rubble, 
Cradling the pieces of what I held dear. 

How long since I lost all direction?
Drifted aimless away from the coast?
Forgotten the touch of affection?
Forsaken by those that I loved the most.

So now I wander amongst the rubble. 
Swept away, and I have no vote. 
For the tide grows highest in times of trouble,
And I have nothing to keep me afloat.

----------------------

Interpretation: 

So the first possible meaning of my poem, in terms of poverty, is that it is about a more emotional kind of poverty, in that it is about someone who lost their family/loved ones, and subsequently lost their way.The second possible interpretation is poverty in a more economic sense: being 'swept away' by circumstances beyond their control, the protagonist lost all physical possessions, which caused him to wander homeless, and without direction.

8 years ago

Its always darkest before the dawn.

Or an example of "The Will to Power" and how it drives the individual.

8 years ago

And washes away the sands from the beach of fear.

Beneath these sands are hopes and dreams,

And everything that people hold dear.

Taken from the clutches of the stormy tide,

And washed clean of all the sandy grain,

They are held up to the light,

And bought by those who reign.

Once the man has sold his soul,

And confined himself to slavery,

He smiles with the knowledge his children are safe,

Living on his bravery.

First meaning: The poem suggests that people are so poor that they have to sell everything they own, even themselves, just to try and keep themselves and their family alive.

Second meaning: As the government firms its grasp on society, normal people are forced to give more and more under the assumption that it will help bring a better tomorrow.

8 years ago
Battering at the walls.
But soon it will not matter,
For their leader will fall.

The survivors will huddle,
Unable to rebel.
In their rickety shelters, held together by odds and ends,
They will eventually be consumed by hellish demands.

I cringe reading this, I’m horrible at poetry.
My two meanings are as follows:
There was some kind of war, and one side won, taking the survivors from the other side as slaves, but overworking them so much they will eventually die huddled in their meager huts.
Some kind of demon takes over the world and sits, watching the survivors try to work to live. It eventually just kills them all off when it gets bored of them..

8 years ago

Thursday! Happy Thanksgiving! (I will understand if your entries are late.)

Write a compelling fifty word opening for a short story based on the following plot: the opening of a theater play is threatened by a ghost. Bonus: Explain the events of the plot in summary and write an ending paragraph.

(Alternatively... "Write a compelling fifty word opening for a short story based on the following plot: An agrophobic servant escapes from their abusive masters isolated house" and the bonus is the same, explain the events in summary and write the ending paragraph.)

8 years ago

8 years ago

As John stepped onto the stage, he knew that ghosts were not actually real. Yet he still felt reassured by the extra security in the wings. Assuming his stage personality, he addressed the audience with the usual words: "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to tonight's performance of Macbeth..."

----

(Decided to do a silly turn to my story) 

The Bard's Curse

The yearly performance of Macbeth, by the King's Men amateur theatre, is threatened by a 'ghost'. Strange accidents have plagued the rehearsals for a few weeks now, and cast and crew are getting nervous. Our story begins at the opening night of the play. Though extra precautions have been taken to ensure a smooth performance, the play is brutally interrupted by a falling stage light. 

Because a stage hand is injured by the accident, an investigation ensues, which rules out any sabotage. However, as 'accidents' continue to plague the theatre, the incident manages to end up on the front page of the local London newspaper. Now the theatre is known as haunted, visitors start to stay away, until a local historian poses a theory: the curse of the Macbeth play might actually be real. 

Seeing no other option, the cast and crew stop naming the play Macbeth. Miraculously, the accidents stop to happen, and all's well that ends well. 

Bonus: 

John looks flushed after the first succesfull performance of that Scottish Play. Though he is glad that his acting was a great success, he can't but voice his amazement to George, the stage hand. "Yeah, I agree, I still can't believe that we caused these incidents just by saying the word Macbeth."

*A light bulb explodes* 

"I mean, Macbeth is performed so often..."

*Blood starts dripping from the walls*

"... That you'd expect other companies performing Macbeth..."

*Plaster falls from the ceiling* 

"...To suffer similarly from performing Macbeth."

*Donna is electrocuted by a prop candle* 

John stares blankly in front of him, sighing softly. "Please don't use that name anymore inside this theatre George..."

"Oh, of course, sorry. Anyhow, good luck with your next performance."

8 years ago
Once again I waited and again they would try. They would try and start that play, but there was no way they were going to finish. It was my mission in death to ensure that no one ever started a play on that stage again.

Bonus
Plot summary: Ghost haunts a play, stopping the play from going on. Flashback reveals that the ghost is a former actor who died while performing on the stage and was given a bad review. The ghost ensures that no one will ever perform a play on that stage again. A pair of detectives investigate the ghost and discover the actor’s body buried beneath the stage. They exhume the body and give it a proper burial, reliving the ghost of its duty.
Gavin said, “For 50 long years you have guarded this stage, and for 50 long years you have done your duty. But your time is up, your goal is met, and you shall go on to your final resting place now, your duty fulfilled.”

8 years ago

Aiden felt his heart racing, his back against the last door between him and escape from the cruelty of Lord Endemyer.  He knew the terrors that waited to assault his mind outside, but the realization that his master would no doubt kill him for even this attempt spurred him onward.

8 years ago

*BONUS* ---

Summary -          Aiden, an orphan boy taken from the workhouses as a toddler by Lord Endemyer, is taught to fear the outside so as to be a loyal slave in the Lord's country estate.  When the Lord had him whipped almost to death for questioning an order, Aiden fought against even his own mind and fears to escape.  While on the run, he discovers that his mother is still alive - but that Lord Endemyer is hard on his heels.  Aiden must survive in a race against time for his ultimate freedom and the family he's always wished to have.

"You may not have been there when Captain Grenwald ripped him from my bosom," Miranda growled as she twisted Lord Endemyer's blade further into his own bowels.  "But you eagerly plucked my son from that horrid workhouse and robbed us both of the life we could have had."  She slowly removed the sword, and Chauncey Endemyer dropped into that same dark gutter where the Captain had first taken Aiden from his mother's suckling breast so many years ago.  The Lord would never rise again.

8 years ago
Forgive this, I wrote it at about 11:00 PM.

I ran for my life, towards the door. I had to get out of this place. I had stolen a book from my master, about the United States, and once I knew there was something better out there, I decided I would have to escape. It wasn't easy, though. And I could tell it was going to get harder.

Bonus:
Summary:
His world is the metal building, acting as a house for his master. He is used for meaningless tasks, as his master is too busy to carry them out himself. If he does not complete the tasks to his master's satisfaction, he is beaten. He must make his way to the United States to start a better life, while at the same time dealing with other things. Such as hunger, therst, the climate in the desert, and his master's robot guards chasing after him.

Events:
I'm going to call the main character “Alex” for the sake of this.
Alex finds a book about the United States in his master's studdy. He manages to smuggle it into his room and read it. He then plans to escape and finds a slip of paper that has a code on it. He assumes that the code is the code for the door. So he, being headstrong, runs for it that night, and luckily, the code is the one for the door. He didn't plan for the harsh conditions of the desert, however, and so must find his way out. What he doesn't know, however, is that his master originally kidnapped him from his birth mother and then killed her for a reason. They have powers. Strange powers, that revolve around luck. His master eventually concludes that there is not enough power for him to experiment with, and so makes Alex become his slave instead. The experiments, however, awakened his powers at a subconcious level, and so he has luck that seems unnatural. For example, finding water when he is about to die from therst, etc. Alex makes his way across the desert and once he gets out, his master and thirty of his robot guards catch up, and there is a showdown. Alex is able to grab a gun from one of the robots and kills them all, being injured in the process. He then kills his master and this is where the ending starts.
Ending:
I staired at his body. There were various robots scattered around but I didn't care about them. All I cared about was him. He seemed to sneer at me, even in death. Not being able to take it anymore, I grabbed a metal arm and beat his worthless skull in until it was no longer recognizable. My job was done. So I set off, towards the glowing lights of civilization, clutching the stolen energy pistol loosely in my hand. I was dead on my feet, the left side of my face charred, my left hand mangled. But I figured I'd wing it. Like I always did, living for the present, instead of the future.

8 years ago

Friday! 

Write an hundred word (or less) newspaper editorial on an unpleasant darning accident leading to widespread narcolepsy. Bonus: If you can make this damn thing sound plausible, you deserve all of the points. That said, try to tie this bizarre premise into an actual historical event as a sort of "and that's why this happened" explanation.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT , @Chris113022 , @jamescoker1226  , @bilbo , @CastleLover , @igulat 

8 years ago
(Bonus included)

While the horrible atrocities of war can never be approved of, we must reveal the real reason behind the atomic bomb attack on Nagasaki. You see, the Japanese had been developing a powerful chemical agent that induced narcolepsy into anyone it came in contact with. One of the soldiers working on it had taken some home and had spilled some of the agent. His mother was knitting some sweaters for everyone in town and got some on her knitting needle and was spreading it quickly to everyone. The allies had to stop this spread: atomic bomb.

8 years ago

Le Canard enchaîné: Opinions/Editorials (English Translation) -

These kids today are unprepared because our schools refuse to teach the history of Château de Dourdan as anything other than fairy tales!  When the gloved headmistress of the Parisian Hipster Sewing Collective accidentally came in contact with her darning egg (Yes, that darning egg!), she was knocked unconscious - as was every ignorant student of hers that tried to touch it.  So far widespread is this ignorance that every relief worker that came to the scene touched it until one happened to be wearing gloves.  Police caught on afterwards, but now 137 people are perennial narcoleptics!

- Aurora Dubois, Issy-les-Moulineaux

8 years ago

*BONUS* ---

The darning egg in question was the little-known secret behind the witch's "curse" on the royal family at Château de Dourdan in the early 1300s.  This was the historical account which was later turned into the bawdy tale of Perceforest later that century, and was the inspiration for the (actually more accurate) re-telling named La Belle au bois dormant, which became what English-speakers would know as Sleeping Beauty.
          The part about the so-called witch coming to the castle was correct.  She did say that she had cursed the princess to prick her finger on a spindle and die, but only because the witch knew the king to be a rash, impulsive man.  When the king had all the spinning wheels burned and their spindles melted down, there was no further mechanical means of making thread - which the witch had planned for all along.  She simply dropped her tainted darning egg (dipped in an alchemical neurotoxin that induced sleep paralysis on epidermal contact) in the head seamstress' basket on her way out and waited for the ensuing sleep maladies.
          As the "crime inspection" of the day involved touching everything around the victim to feel for evil spirits, it wasn't long until the majority of the castle (including all of the royal family and guard) was struck down with sleep paralysis.  Royal house envoys that had managed to avoid the "cursed" darning egg, sought out the witch to plead for her to lift the curse.  After they had delivered 100 pounds of gold to her, she gave them a concentrated tincture which she swore could be used - with a single drop in a bottle of purest water - to wake all the sleeping ones.
          She warned them never to set foot near her cottage again, and sent them on their way.  By the time the king had ordered her to be found and put to death, she had disappeared - never to be seen again.  It is commonly held in French tradition that she used her wealth to travel to the British Isles and become the first ever Queen of England.

8 years ago

On Friday, July 30, investigators released information regarding what they believe to be the cause of a recent and widespread onset of sleeping disorders. When responding to a call regarding a possible break-in in a Lincoln Park apartment complex, Huntsville Police discovered evidence that the intruder had actually escaped into another apartment, contrary to what witnesses suggest, and shed his pants. The inside of the jeans was found to be lined with small packets containing a chemical agent speculated by police to be a party drug. Several of the packets had been pierced, presumably by a needle, and the pants were apparently laundered afterwards resulting in the rupture of several more packets and the release of the drug into the water supply. When questioned as to why she tampered with the pants, the apartment's resident, an elderly woman by the name of Angela Smalls, said that she had initially thought the jeans belonged to her son and felt the need to mend and launder them.

8 years ago

(Darn it, I thought the 100 words included the bonus... Oh well, am to lazy to re-write my exercise right now.) 

In this issue, more about the bizarre Russian narcolepsy plague. Narcolepsy, normally a congenital affliction, has been ravaging Central Russian provinces for over two years. While life grinds to a halt in towns like Yanegovorypo-Russki, investigators claim they identified a cause. 

When the Cheyabinsk Meteor exploded in 2013, Professor Diaghilev was darning his lab coat in his Cheyabinsk laboratory. Startled, he investigated the blast's source. Continuing his work on an insomnia cure, he spilled it, with his darning unfinished. Though investigators cannot explain the cure's plague-like characteristics, they believe the now deceased Diaghilev was patient zero. More reports will follow.  

8 years ago
Several days ago, an American scientist was experimenting with a drug that would cause the person it was given too to sleep. The scientist accidentally slipped and smashed the bottle that contained the drug. It spread through the building before the scientist could lock the room and then outside, through the country. It somehow mutated into the form of narcolepsy, and so now about 20000000 or more Americans are afflicted with it. It appears to be spreading at a slower rate, and we estimate that in a month, more than a billion people will be afflicted with narcolepsy around the world. We will have more on this later.

8 years ago

Is there ever a Saturday or Sunday exercise?
This is my first week doing this, so I'm asking the question of whoever normally takes part in the Writing Exercises.

8 years ago
No, there isn't. Sometimes the Friday exercize is posted on Saturday though; because of Kiel's schedule.

8 years ago

Ah - so a "work week" worth of exercises.  Got it.
Any idea when the points are tallied?

8 years ago
Usually sometime in the next couple days, probably tomorrow because then Monday starts a new week.

8 years ago

Your ninth week scores are as follows:

@Ogre11 - 30!!!
@CastleLover - 30!!!
@bilbo - 11
@Bencrucifix - 17
@TacocaT - 1
@Romulus - 18
@igulat - 12

Loved seeing all y'alls entries. (Any points missing are due to failure to comply with exercise instructions. Good try and please read thoroughly next time.)

Thank you all for your participation, both this week and all past weeks. Congratulations to Ogre11 and CastleLover in particularly for your great work. ^^

8 years ago

I'm curious how Ogre11 managed to tie me, considering he was an entire day late for Tuesday's assignment.  :P

8 years ago

I'm not Kiel, so I might be wrong, but usually it doesn't matter if you're late. You get points as long as you complete the week's exercises before Kiel assigns the scores. 

8 years ago

I'd say the odds of your being wrong are pretty high considering in the rules Kiel says:
"I cannot award points past the days of the week in question".

Turning in something past the day it was assigned sounds like "past the [day] of the week in question" to me.
But maybe I'm thinking too academically.  XP

8 years ago

That's more or less a nice way of saying "I don't have to award you points if it's late".

Edit: Okay, apparently not.

8 years ago

You're not the only academic here :P I was merely referring to the earlier weeks, when points were awarded no matter when exercises were finished during the week.

8 years ago

Since there seems to be some confusion, I will clarify why I said that and what I meant:

I've encouraged people to go back and do past weeks multiple times, even when I was not actively hosting. This is the second time I've done W.E. weeks, so several of them exist now, and I was not the first person to host exercises here, so even more exist that are not mine. Due to the fact that we have members in several time zones and I've been late in posting at various times due to my schedule, I've been fairly lenient about timing. So, during the days of a specific week, you're free to post and earn points for any of those days. Once the week ends and is scored, all you can get out of it is the experience that comes with practice.

I realize in hindsight that the way I phrased it originally could be confusing and I apologize for that, but no one has ever brought that to my attention before. Also, in the future, a simple PM (as you already did) would've been fine.

8 years ago

Thanks for the clarification.

8 years ago

Week 9 Points Updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oFAUo6tAOdf1FUrd3_siPu8Pvv_6-j-4BUwx1VEp3I0/edit#gid=0&vpid=B1

Congratulations to Ogre11 and CastleLover for their excellent showings.

8 years ago
Thank you again for the points, 3J!