Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Kiel's Motivational thread 4

8 years ago

The other thread was getting kinda full, and I figured I'd just put up a big, old post about my main projects right here anyway, to ... remind myself to get off my butt in regards to getting more work on on them, I guess.

(Potentially interesting development for people who liked the chaotic void guardian from my game series: an old friend of mine, who played a rather key role in the development of his character, is showing interest in his story again. What that would mean in regards to the future just kind of depends.)

8 years ago

Temple of Fate - Progress:

Page count: 38 / ???

Note: My issue here was that I was planning on expanding the game with time-skips once using it as a contest entry was no longer a viable option. I've done some research in regards to the -reason- I wanted the time skips. Now I just need some free time and a bit less drama.

Devil's Chess - Progress:

Page count: 97 / ???

Note: So, Quiller's back. Why is that relevant? ... You don't need to know. >_> But I feel like continuing this sooner. So. There you go, then.

KFSP - Progress:

Page count:  41 / ???

Note: This thing's kind of been a PIA to me, but hey, I have new cover art! Which you don't get to see yet, because I'm still deciding on how it should be displayed, but it's awesome. And the person who made it is awesome. (*Points to the reference above.*)

Magick Academy - Progress:

Number of students currently finished with their initial introductions: 3/36

Page count: 390 / ????

Note: I've been RPing pieces of this thing, just not ... lately? I need to talk to the people who offered to help me with cast interpretations again. I also really need to get back to the intro.

(And I was wondering why I had CTS--except that I wasn't.)

8 years ago

Hope you get much done and aren't distracted by forum notifications like this one.

8 years ago

Ever thought of instead going through so much labour for people online, you could take one of your stories and have someone publish it as a novel? That way making more dough? No? Okay.

EDIT: Realized that I haven't actually asked if you were working on writing a novel. Have you?

8 years ago

:P Dunno where you got "no" from...

Because, yes, I have thought of that. And I plan to.

8 years ago

Yay!

8 years ago

I'm still ironing on some details on that project, though, so in the meantime, I'll just entertain you folks. ;)

8 years ago

Yay!

8 years ago

The old thread was getting massive, haha.

I'll suppress my disbelief and awe at the fact that you're simultaneously working on THREE massive projects in favor of just cheering you on, because I want to play all of these games, and can't decide on which one I want to play most.

I have also considered kidnapping you and possibly confining you some place where you can do nothing but write all day and night. In fact, I would like offer voluntary kidnap as a potential all expenses paid vacation, if you need one. Even if the lodgiings are a basement and rations are instant noodles and Chinese take out.

8 years ago

Well, four... ish? ToF isn't supposed to be massive, but I said that about TOW, too. 

... I kind of wish you would. I could use a vacation. xD And I'm just crazy enough to think of being kidnapped as one.

8 years ago

Fair point. Didn't GOLAD also start as a much smaller game, before you basically added five more entire worlds in the basement? XD I kind of want to see what ToF would become if you let it get away from you though, since I think the premise has the potential to be expanded almost infinitely.

Also, if you see happen to see a sketchy looking black van in your neighborhood being driven by a scrawny sleep-deprived nerd, it may be a good idea to bring your laptop and all writing related materials with you when you approach. Because, reasons.

8 years ago

Correct. What's more, going into it, I basically said "well, here's a silly little story I can use as an item test which will surely amount to nothing special." xD How it evolved from a very generic 'spooky house' story and me just screwing around with the editor into a series, I honestly dunno. 

=D Okay! Yay, I'm going to be rescued...! Kidnapped. Kidscued. Resnapped? I dunno.

8 years ago

Hey, I was gonna kidnap Kiel! Well, I'm already waiting for my flight to Arizona right now actually. So, hah! I'm gonna be there first!

UPDATE: Is your house the green one with nothing on the deck, or the brick one with the striped chair on the deck?

8 years ago

How about we all take turns kidnapping him, alright? You can have him for a good four years, with a year long break somewhere in there to recover and see family, and then quiller, and then 10 years from now it's my turn. :b

8 years ago

Any rules regarding what we can do to him while he's in our custody?

8 years ago

What a question. O_o Exactly what are you thinking of doing to me?

8 years ago

Torture you with a sweet room that has the best bed in the world, a balcony view, and anything you want within reason and holds up the theme of being kidnapped? Totally not any form of bribery to do amazing work.

8 years ago

<3 I might never want to leave... xD

8 years ago

How are you holdin' up?

8 years ago

The braces still aren't making a difference for my right wrist. I'm more regularly waking up numb and in pain. It figures, as I'm right-handed. I just don't want to go back, because ... I really don't want surgery.

8 years ago

Are you getting any other treatment besides the braces?

7 years ago

No, but strangely, though the rest of me is doing poorly now, my wrists are fine, haha.

8 years ago

Page count: 39 / ???

Note: Finished a page today. Woo. I know it's not much, but prior to writing, I re-read all I'd written thus far to make sure I still understood the tone of my own game. I also tweaked the wording a bit (because perfectionist) so yeah. I'm enjoying the fact that this game can be considered prior to DC / GOLAD / TOW, and would be considered canon to all of them, even though GOLAD's still got the "original" timeline.

7 years ago

So, yesterday, I drank a mixture containing Jack Daniels and tea. Why mention this? Because I do not make a habit of ruining good tea with whisky. (Or good whisky with tea.) Not unless I am too sick to speak. (The fact that I later subjected myself two gargles of lidocaine, which is the grossest medication I've ever had the displeasure of using, is also telling.)

See, my weekend went a little like this:

Kiel: Friday! Yay! Almost off work. I can finally get some good work done on Temple of Fate again! And boy do I need to catch up on my sleep, I haven't had a good night's rest in days.
Life: BUWAHAHA! Nope! Now you're going to get horribly ill! >:D
Kiel: Psh, nothing could keep me from my--
Life: It's respiratory. ^-^
Kiel: ... >_> I can handle a little--
Life: :D Nope. No antibiotics will save you, it's a virus. The only cure is the rest it will inherently keep you from getting. 
Kiel: *The following profanity filled rant was censored for making an entire crew of nearby sailors redder than a blushing stop sign tanning without sunscreen whilst rolling in the blood of sentient strawberries after the smoothie massacre of '84.*
Life: Enjoy struggling to get air or water past golf ball sized tonsils for the next 48 hours~! :3 *skips merrily away*
Kiel: ... *weeps big, manly tears*

7 years ago

:(
What a dick life is sometimes. Get better soon, man.

EDIT: That reminds me, about three of my relatives have had some medical issues very recently all at the same time, two of them quite seriously... life was fine for ages and then bam! Everyone's suddenly ill, including you.

7 years ago

Thanks. I can breathe a bit easier now, and I finally managed more than four hours of sleep yesterday. 

Damn, I'm sorry. I hope they get better soon, too.

7 years ago
I know! Stay snug in your bed while typing! And stockpile your water next to your bed! See, easy solution!

7 years ago

I've been chugging water and sports drinks for days. There are bottles all over the house. xD 

7 years ago

So ... not a virus, as I honestly suspected in the first place, but I've been in a daze lately. Fortunately, I am now on antibiotics~ yay modern medicine. (Well, yay for some of it, anyway.) 9 more days and I should be the old Kiel you guys all know and love? Like? tolerate amiably?  Here's to hoping my headache leaves sooner, though.

7 years ago
If you come on over to my place, I can help you with your headache like my Dad used to...

Stomp on your foot so hard that your foot hurts and you forget all about your headache!

:)

Ah, get well soon!

7 years ago

In fairness, sensory distraction is a valid method of pain relief and pain releases endorphins. (That said, you try it with me, I'll kick your ass... )

Thanks.

7 years ago

I don't think kicking people in the ass is very good. But get well anyways.

7 years ago

Lol, you're right... but neither is stomping on peoples' feet. Thank you.

7 years ago

Soooo.... kick him in the ass with the foot he stepped on, making it hurt worse, or kick him with your good foot, letting all your weight rest on your bad foot and making you fall over/look like an idiot?

7 years ago

To be fair, I said if he "tries" not if he succeeds.

7 years ago

"The old Kiel we all know and want to kidnap" works best, I think.

7 years ago

Page count: 39 / ???

Note: Ignore the page count, I have worked on this, I'm just filling in the pages I have or tweaking. The concepts for some of the puzzles still aren't totally finished. I know what I want to do, in a nutshell, just not totally how I want to do it.

Magick Academy - Progress:

Number of students currently finished with their initial introductions: 4/36

Page count: 390 / ????

Note: >_>' Where the hell did I put my notes from the last character interaction...?

7 years ago
I absolutely love your motivational threads and have read all of them! Honestly, they have even made a positive change in my attitude towards life, lol. Good lucks, hugz and kisses! :)

7 years ago

Thank you, and... I'm surprised, but that's cool.

7 years ago

Sorry for the necro.

For Magick Academy:

Why did you plan to make shadow and light accessible only in NG+? Replayability?

Also, I wish there's lightning as an element...

7 years ago

It's not really necro when it's a thread of this nature.

I can't explain without spoiling part of the plot of the game.

That's nice.

7 years ago

I'd like lightning as another element since it's my favorite aside from dark/shadow.

Will there be some melee combat even though it's magic based? Ice or fire swords? Fire whips?

7 years ago
Why in the hell would you make an ice or fire weapon when you can control the ice or fire? It's incredibly inefficient.

7 years ago

Ugh... pardon my low magic imagination.

7 years ago

Sometimes, it's just cooler.

7 years ago

You want elemental weapon fights / melee scenes from me? Play TOW or GOLAD. Melee is not what Magick Academy is about.

7 years ago

Just, in your mind, replace words like 'shoot' or 'fire' with something like 'slash' or 'jab'. And there you go, it now has melee.

7 years ago

... thanks.

7 years ago

Well, I was working on my games today, and then the forums / comments section needed cleaning... :P ah, well.

7 years ago

This site's really depending on you, huh?

7 years ago

CYS depends on a lot of things and a lot of people. We're all responsible for the environment of this place and keeping it running, just in different capacities ... so yes. It does depend on me, and on Alexp, Seth, 3J, and on Berka, and on you, and on everyone who posts here, everyone who creates stories that draw in new readers and writers... perhaps I've always taken this sort of thing a little too seriously, but I love this place and writing. I am encouraged to participate by seeing what you guys can create and the fun moments I've had here on the forums. Therefore, I'm depending on all of you, too. 

7 years ago

That's one for the quote books...

7 years ago

:D Today has been a productive day. I am satisfied--though my CTS is flaring up again, so I'm typing this with my brace on, heh. (It's helping.) Still, I think I might actually get some story work done today. ^_^

7 years ago

That's great! Same here, I got a considerable amount done on my story today as well. Today has been a productive day for us all!

7 years ago

Not me crying

7 years ago

Two and a half hours before I'll be off work. ._.

*clings to Sunday and Monday nights off* I missed you. ;_; 

7 years ago

Page count: 41 / ???

Note: ... Nah, nothing to say this time.

7 years ago
41 > 39.

Yay.

7 years ago

Today... today has not been a good day. I appreciate knowing people care about me, though. Made it suck less. (If you're reading this and fall into that category, then thank you.)

Edit: I will be fine, by the way. xD I'm trying to express exhausted gratitude, not a need. 

7 years ago

Just posting to let you know that I care.

7 years ago

Thank you, TeV. You're awesome. :)

7 years ago
You've got friends here!

7 years ago

>///> Yeah... I know, and I'm glad. ^^

7 years ago
Didn't see your edit, so I guess "You're appreciated!" would have been a better response.  :)

7 years ago

Lol, well... either way, thank you. :) Site members like you and Tev make dealing with all the trolls worth it.

7 years ago

A hard-worked on poem for a hard-working mod.

Shadows                                                                                                                                                                             By: Jimmy Sutton

I am myself but with a dark touch.                                                                                                                                      

I am summoned from the light. However,                                                                                                                                  

I am not gone forever. I can be a great

enemy when sneaking is your desire. 

I am not hostile but I will copy every move. 

You cannot defeat me nor can I defeat you.

I was there when you were born, and will be there

when you die. Because I am your shadow, just you 

and I.       

7 years ago

You wrote me a poem? ... Heh. I'm touched. I also really like the concept, I must admit. (Who told you I have a thing for shadows?)

7 years ago

*looks away*

7 years ago

JimJam, always bringing the unexpected.

7 years ago

Ugh. I finally get a four day weekend, I am rested, I am not in horrible pain, I even found people to relieve me of beta-reading for the contest and I still can't get work done because I keep getting dragged into arguments. All damn day. 

7 years ago

On the site or IRL?

7 years ago

Both.

7 years ago

Page count: 41 / ???

Note: So I finished and tweaked a couple of pages. I also have a better idea of what kind of puzzle I want to be at the core of this thing--its "medallion," if you will. The irritating thing for me is that, as usual, I'll want a picture representation and I have yet to find anything that looks quite like what I'm going for. Considering going as far as commissioning an artist. (On that note, anyone who can draw interested in lending me a hand?) 

7 years ago
Try @Axiom. She draws pretty things.

7 years ago

I was just going to say, who else draws now that the_quiller has vanished again? We need to keep a list handy.

I could offer up my MSPaint squiggles to the cause, but, I don't think anyone actually wants them. >.>

7 years ago

Well, I made my own profile pic. Of course, that quality is a rare occurrence. And I'm known for procrastination. But someone's bound to get lucky one of these days, and get exactly what they're looking for, right?

7 years ago

Hm. How do you think you'd do with a complex wooden or metal object?

7 years ago

I'd be willing to try, though I think I'd have more success at a wooden object than a metal. I've never been able to get the shine of metal right.

7 years ago

In that case... I'll PM you about this.