Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Seto's "Stop Fucking Procrastinating" Thread

7 years ago

I have been procrastinating a lot lately, so here's my motivational thread to keep me organized and excited about my own writing.

Of course, with Christmas coming up, I doubt I'll have time to work on anything other than the ballad.

Current Song: Fake It-Seether

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Storygames I Will Work On:

-Syndicate35/167 Pages Pasted 167/??? Pages Completed 2/??? Chapters Completed

-Wakening: 121/??? Pages Completed 1/??? Chapters Completed 

-The Maze: 1/??? Pages Completed 0/??? Chapters Completed

-Monsters10/??? Pages Completed 0/??? Chapters Completed

-Crafty Tap 2: 1/??? Pages Completed 0/??? Chapters Completed

~Ballad for the Contest- 15% Progress~

Info:

-Syndicate:

Hoping to make this one both script-heavy and have a good story. Currently experimenting with certain things to add into the storygame. It's a bit RPGish...at the moment, it has 10 classes, and each one has a different perk and starting stat. The combat and leveling up systems are a work in progress. 

Genre: Modern Adventure

Estimated Finish Time: At least a year.

-Wakening:

The first storygame i made on this account. Currently being copied from the old one to the new one so it'll appear in the "New Games" section. The scripting and item and variable changes are hell to redo, but I hope it'll be worth it. Almost finished with 4 different endings, Easter eggs, bonus content at the end, and semi-hard puzzles with plots. Script-heavy with a rather cliche plot. 

Genre: Horror, Puzzle/Mystery

Estimated Finish Time: Few more months.

-The Maze: A little experiment I'm conducting with randomly generated mazes. If it's too hard, I'll most likely take that feature out. Currently haven't done much work on it. This one is going to be extremely script-heavy, and light on the story.

Genre: Horror, Puzzle/Mystery

Estimated Finish Time: Few months.

-Monsters: Basic story. Was an "one-hour" challenge I failed due the fact that I wasn't quite happy with it, and I wanted to see my idea expanded upon. So I just continued working on it...

Genre: (Not sure yet...it's not quite Fantasy, seems like it fits either as Sci-Fi or Everything else more.)

Estimated Finish Time: Unknown

Note: This is annoying AF on my phone... -_-

I am literally about to throw this thing out of this conveniently near, open window.

7 years ago

Oh boy, motivation! Also, instead of throwing your phone out a window, it's much more satisfying to crush it with a rock.

Seto's "MOTIVATE ME WITH A COOKIE" Thread

7 years ago

Yes, motivation. Also DETERMINATION. The determination to finish a storygame xD

7 years ago

Determination to not be a lazy ass who sits in bed all day pretending to write when their just watching fucking romcoms with a bowl of fatty-ass popcorn? I like this thread. FOR DETERMINATION AND MOTIVATION!

Seto's "DETERMINATION and MOTIVATION" Thread

7 years ago

Actually, I'm a lazy-ass that sits in my chair all day and draws. Close enough?

And yes. I like this thread too(since, like...I made it xD)

Hmm...question: which one of these do you think I should work most on?

7 years ago

Wakening. Definitely Wakening.

EDIT: Yes, being a lazy ass who draws all day is close enough I guess. Fatty Ass popcorn and romcoms can substitube for drawing, I guess.

7 years ago

Wakening it is then! It'll be my priority after I save my innocent points by writing something that vaguely passes as a ballad. XD

And yes. I guess it is. Except romcoms and popcorns normally don't pay the bills :P

7 years ago

They do if your an actor!

Or a guy who sits in a fucking depressing room all damn day just sitting there who claims he has a job when he's a fucking "Popcorn taster," who just fucking stuffs fatty ass popcorn in his mouth and says, "More butter," because he wants to grow another chin, damnit, and appears in a bunch of lame ass popcorn commercials that go on tv like, once a fucking decade in black and white.

7 years ago

*you are

That is possibly one of the longest run-on sentences I've seen in awhile...xD

And that is true. It'd also most likely be easier than what I have to do, and pay more as well :)

7 years ago

True, but you'd be fat as hell.

7 years ago

Well, since I'm going to be working on Wakening, might as well post it's plot.

Plot:Wakening-

Wakening has the rather cliche plot of having the main character - you, waking up in a seemingly empty place with no memories and no idea how they got there. As you explore the place, you start to slowly recover your memories...and discover that you are not alone in this place. There is something else here.

As you struggle to escape this place, you slowly start to piece together the reason why you're here...and the reason they don't want you to leave.

Do try to remember...you're never alone.

Excerpt: Wakening-

Note: I am not a good writer, nor have I ever claimed to be anything other than ordinary. Maybe even slightly below the norm. Also, the story is mostly exploration based at the moment, so there's not really much to show my writing skills anyways xD

Page #59

"You decide to check out the game room. On one wall you can see some writing. You can't read it from where you are standing. In the room there are five large tables and two small foldable tables, all of these are extremely dusty and piled high with various things, not just games. 

Motivational posters hang on any avaliable space...they look very faded and yellow.

There is also a very dark, stained-glass window. It's the floor to ceiling type and it looks thick. You probably won't be able to break it or see out of it."

7 years ago

Sounds wonderful.

Seto's "Stop Fucking Yourself" Thread

7 years ago

Looks good. Keep up the good work.

Definitely didn't make this just for the obnoxious title change.

TIMISDEAD

7 years ago

Just... Just no...

7 years ago

I will definitely keep going :)

Alas. How easily reverted it was. Just a simple click and type, and the title is back to what it originally was.

Seto's "Seto's First Big Boy Swear" Thread

7 years ago

Explain this Crafty Tap business. Did you discover some secret formula to make the idea of clicking to make numbers go up interesting? (Forgive me I'm old and have never understood the point of this style of game...)

I'm curious what plans you have for your ballad too, since that's the one with the rapidly approaching deadline and all. No one's talked much about what they're working on, I'm still waiting to see if anyone attempts an actual CYOA in that style.

7 years ago

XD i like this title.

Anyways, about Crafty Tap, I was thinking of putting in a (very) generic plot about surviving in Minecraft. Among the things I thought about was

-An explore option, with many randomized choices that range from finding a mineshaft filled with diamonds, discovering strange structures, and other things you might run into in minecraft.

-The explore option will take up food. Everytime you explore, you'll lose 20 hunger. Default starting hunger is 100. When you've reached 0 hunger, you'll start taking damage every page until you either die in around 5 pages at full health, or you feed yourself.

-When you level up, you get new options. You can also build options or discover them. The discoverable ones are very rare(a 2/50 in dice roll)

-The tappy part will be the mining, chopping of wood, and farming. All of these will give you randomized amounts of their respective things every time you click "Mining", "Farming", etc.

-There is a vague and cliche plot that is basically "a long time ago, you came into minecraft from the real world. Somehow you've survived this long due to the help of a "friendly" village. One day, the village is destroyed by (insert cliche villain name here) and you have to a) rebuild the village b) survive and finally, c) fight (insert cliche villain name here) and decide whether you want to go back to the real world, or stay in minecraft where you're kind of a hero for restoring peace to the world and all that (well, as peaceful as a place that includes zombies, skeletons, and creepers is).

7 years ago

Sounds fun!

7 years ago

Mm. Variables! XD very fun.

Anyways. About ballads. Mine is pretty edgy. I'm not even sure how it got so edgy. 

I'll probably not attempt the CYOA one since

a) I'm not good with poems. 

and b) if I tried, I would probably not finish it.

While it is a fun idea, I'm too much of an amateur to try it. I'm already having trouble with flow on my normal ballad.

I might try it when this contest is over, but definitely not going to attempt it as a contest entry.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Well, not literally. But when there's flecks of blood when you cough, it sure feels that way. I either broke something, or it's bron-something irritation.

Anywho, these storygames might take a bit longer than I originally thought since my BF feels like my health should go before writing >~<

When I get better, I'll definitely continue these ^_^

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Coughing up blood doesn't sound very healthy. Give a update on your condition so nobody worries too much.

After doctor visits and such.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I will try to say get on a bit and say something every now and then so there's no concern. :)

Edit: This part is going to be easy, it seems

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

You're going to the emergency room or something about this, I hope. Coughing up blood is generally not something to just handwave away. :/

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Well, I did ask a doctor.

It's either bronchial irritation, in which case I need to stop coughing- give my throats and lungs a break.

Or, I might have broken something. In which case I'm most likely going to die.

It's only a little blood, but I guess saying that you're coughing up a little bit of blood is like saying "I'm only a little bit pregnant."

Seto's "Stop Fucking Scaring Us" Thread

7 years ago

Get better, turkey. Don't need you dying on us.

EDIT: With any luck, it's just bronchitis. That resolves itself quickly.

Seto's "Stop Fucking Scaring Us" Thread

7 years ago

Didn't mean to scare you ^^;

And yeah. Here's hoping. Dying is not exactly on my list of "events I want happening" at the moment.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago
I really hope you get better soon.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I hope so as well, Banner. I haven't taught you all my nifty profile tricks yet! ^^;

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago
That you haven't, haha. :)

I also hope this doesn't get in the way of the ballad you're writing, especially since you were having troubles with it.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I actually finished, well...semi-finished. I'm not quite happy with it, but I'm never happy with my writing.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago
Good to hear you finished before your condition set in, it would've been a shame if you couldn't have finished before the deadline.

Your post also motivated me to stop posting on these forums and go work on my own ballad. :P

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Well, I've been sick a few days, but it didn't really get really bad until around yesterday at night. Aralas believes it's because of how 1) I've been sick 2) I haven't slept well recently 3) And I've been slightly overworking myself

And yay! Motivation ^_^ well, I'm doing something good.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Wow, Seto.

You deserve a nap!

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Ooh boy. You'll be in my prayers.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Thank you, Zag :)

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

*Hands seto some chicken soup* That sounds like a pretty bad, this chicken soup is the best I can do. Hope you feel better soon... Try not to die please.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Yeah >~< there's a point where you get sick of being sick, so I hope I feel better soon as well.

*takes the chicken soup* I'll try not to. :) 

I was honestly surprised at the fact that people actually..idk posted? ^^; thank you, everyone.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Not sure why you’d be surprised, most people here get along with you and you’re usually helpful to people.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

There's a line between logically knowing people might actually like you, and emotionally knowing people might actually like you I guess.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Now you have both forms of affirmation.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Yes. I have an urge to hug every single one of you guys now. ^_^

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago
I hope you get better. While a turkey is allways a tasty snack, I think this one should stay alive for a bit more. You still need to get 3000000 points, after all. And finish all the stories.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Pointssss. Yes, the points. XD

Finishing the stories is definitely a motivator. Especially Wakening and Syndicate. I've put so much work into the lore and plot of both, it'd be a shame to not be able to finish them. :)

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Actually, I have a question. While we're on the topic of me being sick:

What are some suggestions for falling asleep? I have trouble falling asleep (insomnia), which is normally why I appear on the "online" list at long past 12am. Tylenol and other related medicines which are supposed to help just leave me rather...slow instead of making me go to sleep. Usually, I have to fully exhaust myself to be able to fall asleep. However, I think in this case, exhausting myself is a bad idea (since the idea is for me to recover, and not get worse XD). 

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

If you want to fall asleep, try Meletonin, but make sure to check with your doctor first. Or, you could do what I do, drinking a fuck ton of liquids until I feel so groggy I can't help but fall asleep.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Hmm..I've actually heard some bad things about Meletonin, actually. 

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Hm. Then try the fuckton of fluids, that'd what I do when I want to sleep.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Well, first off, getting off the computer helps.

Also, you could just daydream with your eyes closed. That works for me sometimes. It kinda puts you in a sleepy mood and lets you just relax with thoughts in your head in a dream-like state.

Or exercise to physically exhaust yourself prior to sleeping, but I wouldn't recommend that for someone in your condition.

Other than that, I'm sure there's something here that could help.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

That would be a good start, though I broke my computer a while back and haven't fixed it, so I'm actually on my iPad.

My eyes are kind of hurting and my throats is really bothering meand it's getting even harder than normal to concentrate on my English so I should probably go try the second thing.

And really, T-Count? XD I'm not a drug-type of person, shockingly enough :P

Using painkillers are like, basically the closest thing to being high for me.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I found a site with lots of ailment remedies to help you get better!

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-oldremedies.html

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I like this warning:

"Note: These are just for fun! While these were actually published in old books, we do not recommend that you try them! They actually

could be dangerous!"

Hehe. I don't know what to think about gargling cow-dung water. XD

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Stuttering

Hit the person stuttering in the mouth with a chicken gizzard.

Lol.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

XD b-b-but...

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Too bad we don't happen to have a chicken gizard lying around.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

The End Lord strikes with yet another flawless plan! *Bows*

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Your eyes probably hurt because your staring at the screen for hours at a time. :/ Like he said, stahhp! Go read a book (made of paper. Not an eBook) if your brain won't stop whirring. Sleep on your left side.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Little late on this and I hope you did eventually manage a decent night's sleep, but I deal with bouts of insomnia sometimes and yeah, t-count already brought this up but getting away from your screen and any other distractions is the.most important first step. Get comfortable and give your mind time to settle down and sleep will hopefully follow.

Easier said than done when you're sick I realize. Have you tried chamomile tea? Might help your throat a little and it does make you drowsy. Also (and this is probably obvious) you're going to want to stay completely away from caffeine in the evenings.

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

I fell asleep at around 12:30, which is actually pretty good for me, though it probably isn't enough >~<

And yes. At night, I should probably turn my phone on silent and ask my friend to put it somewhere far away from me/hide it so I don't have the urge to keep checking my websites and working on stuff. 

No, but I probably should. Chamomile tea...I do like tea. :) 

I don't drink coffee or energy drinks most of the time, so that should be fine. 

Another thought I had: I could play the piano before I go to bed. Playing the piano is pretty relaxing for me. ^_^

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Are you okay, Seto?

So I May Be Dying

7 years ago

Well, I'm not fine currently, but I will be :)

7 years ago

This might help you define what genre Monsters is:

In a very broad sense, Fantasy, whether it takes place in Outer Space or Middle Earth, inherently requires you to suspend your disbelief in fantastical things in order to work. The attractive factor is that the world is amazing and impossible and foreign and, for some reason or another, you want to know more because of just how different and impossible it is. You want to know how it works, but it never quite gets around to telling you everything. You're expected to accept the fantastical and get more later as it develops, if you're lucky. Magic exists, you just accept it. Moving swiftly along! Elves exist. Boom, didn't expect that bomb to drop, didja!?

Science Fiction, whether it takes place in the furthest reaches of the galaxy or in the war-torn throes of an alternate history, tries harder to convince you that it will happen, or could happen, in your real world, the one that you're living in right now. Science Fiction's element of interest comes from making science seem more impressive, by making you look at the world around you in a different way. You see the fancy schmancy lasers and shit being taken for granted and you're like, "Shit, that's cool... I wonder what stuff I take for granted." like with touchscreens. That was fucking revolutionary back then. Remember when there were no touchscreens? Me neither, that was back when I still played outside like a damned fool. You see scary shit happening and you're like, "Woah, that scary shit could actually kinda be happening right now!" Like with Flan, the book whose only literal purpose was to trigger the sensitive, terrified fee-fees of the Y2K theorists for surreal, artistic shits and giggles.

Fantasy makes you fantasize, you want to learn more about this fictional world. Science fiction makes you sciencize, it's meant to make you look at your own world in a different way because the story and rules of this universe were created to make a certain point about the real world.

There's definitely a lot of overlap here, Silent Hill, for example*, but fuck it, there's a bigger difference than you think, and it ain't just about technology! Star Wars is fantasy!

*'Cos SH wants to make you look at things in its own world and possibly the real world in a different way, like Science Fiction, by providing references to Freude and all that and providing a weird character study by making everything into performance art monsters, but fantastical things are taken for granted to exist, it isn't about convincing you that it could happen, rather it is based in its own mysticism and universe that you're enticed to discover more about, like Fantasy.

7 years ago

acktchually

star wars is science fantasy

7 years ago

It's definitely going to be as Sci-Fi then. Most of the stuff that happens is going to have a logical/probable explanation behind it.

Thanks, Sent :)

7 years ago

It's boring to just sleep, and rather tough as well since I am easily bored and distracted. Besides that, I need something to take my mind off of recent matters.

Anyways, since my cough seems to have become slightly less severe, and I haven't seen any more blood since yesterday...I will be semi-working on some easy projects of mine. I don't think I feel well enough to work on tough things at the moment.

So, until I am fully better and able to get off pain-meds, I will be working on something with the mysterious name of "..."

I don't really see how writing could make me sicker anyways, it's mostly just exercising your fingers and your brain :/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....(Will definitely be renamed some day): 24/??? pages finished/Tutorial Chapter Semi-Completed(but will probably be rewritten)

Info:

Prequel to another game I'm making, so I guess this technically makes it a "part one" since I'm going to finish it before the other one xD

Genre: Puzzle/Horror

Estimated Finish Time: Not sure.

7 years ago

@Seto

Think we could get an update on your progress?

Seto's "Stop Fucking Around and Write" Thread

7 years ago

Or you wanna give up those bragging rights ahead of time?
Coward?
Cowardishness confirmed.