Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

First page of new story

7 years ago

Hello, as some of you know I have recently wrote a story called Siblings and people seemed to like it, at least more then my first story, the two things that were criticized however were the spelling errors and how painfully slow it starts out. Currently I'm working on a sequel called Consanguinity and I want to be even better.  Later I'll ask for a proofreader to check for spelling and grammar mistakes. for now I'm posting the first page to see what people think.  My main focus is to have it move faster then the first one, also it might help if you read Siblings, enjoy:

You stare out your bedroom window as the sun sinks below the horizon and darkness takes it turn ruling the sky.  This daily ritual happens earlier and earlier as summer gave way to fall. Victoria would home next month for Thanksgiving but for now you've only got yourself for company. These periods of isolation had decreased since brining down Westfield a year ago, but they still happen and it's not practically enjoyable when they occur.

Luck would be on your side however, as a knocking at the front door brought you back to reality. Making your way from the bedroom to the front door you wonder who it could be, Moira would've called you before coming over and delivery companies don't run this late. Opening the door you find police chief Carla Northcutt standing outside.

"Ben, I need to talk to you for a moment," Carla walks in without asking for permission. Carla is always uptight but you notice she seems more stressed out then usual.

"Is everything alright?" You ask with concern.

Carla sits down at the kitchen table and takes out a envelope from under her jacket and place it on the table. "I'm headed out to do an investigation, if I'm not back by tomorrow morning, open this envelope," Carla instructs.

"You're the chief of police, can't you just assign someone to do whatever is you're planning to do?"

"I'm probably overworrying but I just have a feeling I need to keep this low key."

"Carla you're freaking me out, do you mind telling me what's going on?"

"Look like I said it's probably nothing, I'll give you a call tomorrow, you can throw out that envelope and pretend this never happened, I got to get going," Carla excuses herself and quickly heads back out the door.

You stare at the envelope Carla left on the table taking in what she said. There was fear in her voice, even when she was held by Westfield she never seemed to be afraid. Furthermore cloak and dagger wasn't her style, she was always one to charge head on into situations. A few hours pass and you head off to bed hoping this situation will be over with quickly, but past experience has made you doubtful.

First page of new story

7 years ago

I know this'll probably be covered with the fact that you'll have a proofreader, but you have some issues switching between past and present tense in the same sentence.

In terms of pacing, you've definitely got it :D
It's moving faster; something's obviously happening here and I'm kind of excited wondering what it could be.

The spacing between each paragraph could be reduced.

Otherwise, as always, I think your writing is enjoyable :)

First page of new story

7 years ago
Oh, somehow I completely missed this thread. I liked Siblings quite a bit, it'll be nice to see a sequel. I see a few small punctuation issues, but at this stage in the writing process the important thing is you've got an interesting setup, and you introduced it in a way that makes people want to keep reading. This is still a rough draft so don't sweat the small stuff just yet.