Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What makes a good sad story?

7 years ago
I am currently making a sad story about depression dedicated to a person to this site. I need feedback or opinions on what makes a good sad story. Is it the characters? The setting? The plot? Any feedback would be appreciated! (Do note that I didn't start the story yet.)

7 years ago

... Well, they have to revolve around an issue.

Why is the story sad? Did someone die? Does someone have cancer? Is the main character just in a shitty situation?

From this basic idea, you build your story. Who was the person that died, and what did they mean to the main character? Who has the Cancer, and how bad is it? What circumstances make the Main Character's life so crap?

By that point, a story should be forming in your noggin. Just grow it and see where it takes you.

7 years ago
So basically, I just have to put a conflict into the story. A pretty dramatic conflict.

7 years ago

That and well written characters, and by well written characters I mean that they're interesting and their decisions make sense to them. Making the main character relatable in some way will also help. In tragedies, this is generally done through the intangible goal of the main character. Take Breaking Bad for instance. I don't relate to the main character for the fact that he is a middle aged genius biochemist that cooks meth, but I do relate to him in the fact that he wants his accomplishments to actually amount to something in his life.

7 years ago

In a comedy, you overcome the conflict, and there is much rejoicing. In a tragedy, you have to learn to cope with a conflict that can't really be dealt with, and that's sad. (Like the loss of someone you love, loneliness in general, the trials and tribulations of war or abuse.) In horror, the conflict wins, and it does so ideally in a way that makes you disturbed and uncomfortable.