Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Superhero Story

7 years ago

Hello, I'm RobertTheFat, and I am going to make a superhero storygame!
I've been around this website for a while, and I just decided to create an account and make my superhero story into a storygame. I am not new to writing, but I am new to the actual creating of a storygame here, so it will be work learning the system, but by the time I am done with this storygame I hope to be a master! :P

So my objective of this storygame is to make something that really relies on the readers choices. I want it to have dozens of endings that are all unique in their own way. I also plan on making multiple playable characters for it, so hopefully it will add a bunch of replay-ability to it. I want to make a storygame that you can play once, beat it, get your ending, and then play it again and get a completely different playthrough.

This is going to be an ambitious goal, so I may need assistance from people. Whether you are yelling at me to finish writing a portion of the story, or giving me help with maintaining the technicalities of a storygame, any and all help you can give me will be much appreciated.

I am planning on having a kind of demo available sometime this week that will show a small bit of how the game would be played and all that good stuff.

Superhero Story

7 years ago

Don't publish the demo. Demos are hated here. Just give the link.

Superhero Story

7 years ago
Yeah, don't publish a demo. It'll get deleted.

Just turn on sneak preview, post a link in here, and list any specific questions you have regarding the type of feedback you want.

Superhero Story

7 years ago

Okay, got it. No demo.

Superhero Story

7 years ago
The reasons for that are we get too many people rushing them out and never following up, or doing the 'if enough people flatter me I'll continue this!' thing. Putting out a demo doesn't do the author any favors ei ther as readers can only rate what's there. Even if the story does get finished it's already been stuck with low ratings, and tagged with the date it was originally published so it doesn't show up on the new storygames page.

Anyway, I love superhero stuff, and all this sounds great but pretty ambitious. I hope you can pull it off but don't be afraid to scale back a bit to a more manageable size if you eventually feel you need to. If you've never written a CYOA before, they can get away from you once the paths start sprawling out.

Superhero Story

7 years ago
Check out the Homo Perfectus series in Sci Fi for an example of Supers done right.

Then good luck with your story!