Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

I'm not sure how often I'll update this, but I'm just putting it up to make this official.

I, Mizal, am taking a vow right now, with all of you as my witnesses, that I will publish six stories this year. One for every year I've been here.

If I don't pull it off, I'm sure one of you will remember to dig this up when 2018 rolls around, because I'm also going to insist on a fine of 1000 points being taken from my account if I fail.

I'm not committing to any of the following as definite things, but to give an idea of possible contenders this year:

1.) Wilderness story. Okay, I lied, this one's a definite thing. I can't say for sure I'll finish it by the end of the month, and there may not be enough wilderness left to really be in the spirit of things, but it will definitely be finished. By removing myself from all drama and stupidity this weekend and today I managed to write a little over 9000 words and will hopefully be able to repeat that next week. Well past the point I'm willing to scrap an idea.

2.) WIZARDS! I estimate I'm up to about 19k words on this one in Scrivener. You play as a high ranking member of a guild dedicated to hunting down misbehaving wizards. I'm going the COG route on this one and allowing you to customize your character - you can play as a dazzling variety of old white men with beards.

This one is likely a definite as well as I'll be switching back to it immediately once the wilderness one is published and not letting myself get side-tracked by any more CYS related distractions.

The rest, I'm fuzzy on which exactly I'll be tackling and in which order, but it'll be four of the following:

3.) Big damn sci-fi game. My brief experiment with a more game-like game, this had me buried alive in variables, but I learned a lot and I'm feeling good about making it all work. A galactic trading sim with quests tacked on, there's no over-arching plot planned yet, but the idea is to upgrade your ship and amass a ridiculous amount of wealth and then retire without being killed.

4.) Sci-fi dystopia with androids. Something I started here years ago and deleted, but I'm still fond of the basic idea and would like to revive it as something smaller and more focused. You're an android used as an assassin by a government agency. You learn that before your creator died he'd started making newer models with free wills, and that the possibility might exist within you as well.

5.) Kingdom of Lisali - Fantasy story taking place around 80 years after the first CYOA I put up here that probably none of you ever saw. You're sort of, technically a princess and find yourself sort of, technically in charge of the kingdom after everyone between you and the throne has mysterious accidents. The group that orchestrated the mysterious accidents and decided you were harmless enough to keep around still expect to call the shots, and it's up to you to decide whether you're okay with that or not.

6.) Redwall fanfic - Mizal becomes a god damned furry.

7.) Something with fairies. I have an interactive fiction game I started where you play as a fairy. It turns out interactive fiction games can be really hard to program, but I have about 60% of the writing done and would just need to alter it to fit a CYOA. But you know, fairies. Don't know if I could live down committing to this one.

8.) Something with vampires. Yeah, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

And that's it for this thread. Let's see if Mizal's points survive the year.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

I love this!

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

(Sees thread that reminds him of Frodo committing to take the Ring through a perilous and unknown route to Mordor)

*Walks up* You have my sword (of support)

Looking forward to this year ahead for another reason now :)

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Does "Not you gotta deal with this s***" count?

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Best of luck, I look forward to reading them

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

I look forward to the Redwall fanfic where Mizal becomes a god damned furry. You should do this after you complete the wilderness contest!

If I were you, I would still do the redwall fanfic first. It's better than being a wizard after all. Sadly, I'm not you.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Excellent! Willing to help with Variables etc, if needed.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

^0^ Ooh. Good motivation there. *positivity* You shall live up to your vow! :D or else the fine :<

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
May fortune favor the bold. Good luck.

A Far Too Severe Motivation thread

7 years ago

Tough criteria for your continuing point survival, but YOU CAN DO IT (I hope).

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Haha, Mizal gave up all her points. What a dumb bitch.

A PATHETIC Motivation thread

7 years ago

Pssh... only 1000 points for one year? Weak, you have more than enough time to get that all back even if you fail. Look at Turkey. He hasn't been here a year and he has a near friggin' three thousand points. Look at me! I gave up half this much points in one month! (Although, admittedly it wasn't all that wise...) I dare you to raise your bet to three thousand if you fail! 

7 years ago

I don't think there's a point anyway because negative points resets to zero anyway.

7 years ago

It's the principle of the matter! Besides she has more than 1K pts as is.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

So if you succeed, everyone praises you for achieving a grand task (probably even getting a point bonus), you get to rub it in their noses, and the site gets six new stories.

But if you fail, everyone gets to laugh at you for being bad, you lose 1000 points that you'll probably earn back in the form of Commendations, and the site gets at least two new stories.

Seems like a Win-Win to me.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Look at my name you guys, look how red and bolded it is. Suddenly I am filled with confidence, I can do anything YAAAAAAA!

It's been pointed out that a thousand points is pretty weak. Well...setting aside the fact it took me about five years to get them, lol, I'm going to agree, and step up my game. I'll be changing my personal fine for failure to however many thousand points I have by the end of the year. Just leave me the spare change, I'll figure out someone to survive. Assuming I don't jump off a bridge or something to escape the shame.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Good luck.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Woohoo! Mizal takes the risk and bets all her points. The power of peer pressure makes this thread so much more... manly. #Manlymizal2017confirmed

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Oh my god Plelb, just wow xD

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
She'll probably fail like those girls on the video but she probably won't give up... Probably. Don't jump of a bridge and fail so that no one could make a vine.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

If you pull this off, I'll give you my trophy.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Hahaha, seriously? Well damn, I didn't actually care that much about points, but now I have pressure.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Good luck, I do hope you succeed! Six stories in the year is one every two months -- that's a good rate to come up with stories that rate above 5. Just to be clear, are we rounding? I mean, if the story has a 4.99 rating, will that count towards success? :)

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Yeah uh I made that 5/8 claim before the changes to rating went through. It seems most people's stories have been adjusted downwards, which is good for the site but mildly terrifying in regards to my fantastical promises here. Even Will has a 4.90 story now. But I'll stick to my original challenge, not going to waffle over percentage points.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
For one of the smaller projects I had in mind, I kind of wanted to write an unironic wolf pup story. Over the course of my career on this site, my extensive research into these stories and observation of the disease infested smears of fecal matter who write and enjoy them have given me great insight into exactly what it is that's desired of this genre, by those too stupid, lazy, and untalented to produce it for themselves.

Like I literally think I could write something over a single weekend that contains all the necessary plot elements, that over time would get a lot more 8 ratings than other stories that are actually good.

But I also feel it would be objectively an evil act to even attempt this.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
It would most certainly be an evil act to write about That Which Shall Not Be Named Lest It Call Even More Search Engine Results This Way.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Do you realize how many teenage girls/guys/nongender/other idiots would think they could do what you do? We would be spammed with millions of wolf pup stories!

CYS would be in another state of emergency! There would be another blanket ban!

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Nuuu!!! I was working ?on a story where wolves have a decent/major part to play. Wait does that count lol?

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
So, uh, hey. How's it going so far?

(Not that I can talk -- I was looking at my stories and realized I put up 1 in 2014 (joined in Nov), managed 7 in 2015, but then a whopping 1 in 2016).

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Still on track for a February release of the first story listed.

I'm trying to pace myself so as to minimize the panic. Right now I'm relying a little too much on wild bursts of productivity over the weekends to make up for slacking Mon-Fri, but ideally I want to be able to manage 1-2k for any days I'm not working in the evenings. Since I kind of have to assume there will be weekends where I'll have to like, do things.

I know I've been a little scarce around the site lately. I still owe a few people PMs. Uh, maybe I'll get to them in a year?

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Don't listen to Endmaster. He throws babies for sports. Go Mizal!

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

You'll never make it. Quit struggling.

Just let the apathy wash over you.

Doesn't that feel inviting?

No more worries. No more pressure.

Shhhhhh...

Just let it happen.

Don't fight it.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

With the entry for the competition, you're now one down :)

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

She might have to add to it after the judging is done because I doubt it will be a 6 length, but I could be wrong.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Probably, I was bucketing it under the the Other stories she'd listed at the end

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

*Gentle nudge*

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

*taps door labeled with 'writing, do not disturb*

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

We're already halfway through the third month of this year. Will Mizal do it ?!?!

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Didn't she say six storygames? So.. 12 / 6 = 2, and we're halfway through the third month, and there isn't a story out, so... :O

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Hey, who let these kids into my thread?

Also, you over there, the soul stealing abomination. You get out too.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

No. Like jep, she will fail. I'll get more satisfaction from jep's inevitable failure since I personally made him shoot himself in the foot, but I'll be sure to save a few rotten tomatoes just for mizal.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Think of all the time you've wasted when you could have been leading a normal life.

You are doomed to failure, let me take your points now and put you to rest.

Close your eyes. You cannot escape the inevitable.

I bring you peace.

Don’t fight it.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

End, you sound like a bug cuddly wolf with dark intentions.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Anyway, for an actual update, end of February was optimistic for my current project, but I'm not worried yet. It's a genre and style I've never written in before, it went through multiple major overhauls that forced me to rewrite sections of it, and is going to have a lot more actual text than most of the other projects planned. Pages are averaging 600-1000 words each. So basically if I can slog my way through this one, the others will be a piece of cake.

I also have something already filed away I could fall back on that would technically work as one of the six in the event of an emergency.

Now all you kids get out of my thread.

P.S. I drove straight home today and wrote 2600 words out of pure unadulterated spite.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Way to go!

Also, I have to thank you because this thread has actually motivated me to get some writing done today.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Yay, words!

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
what the hell, replied to the wrong post

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
So I came to an awful realization today.

My story contains a river that flows in different directions depending on what's needed for the plot.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to go scream at the walls and throw things for awhile.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Shit I'm so sorry for your pain RIP

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Maybe river spirits cause big whirlpools  on different parts of the river, which alters the direction of the water between both pools and sucks the water at either end until it goes a different way?

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Natural disasters have reversed the Mississippi's flow several times including one instance that lasted for 24 hours. If the reversal in flow needs only to be for a specific section, you could use that as an excuse.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

Don't worry, Mizal. I believe in you.

Probably

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Spin-off a tributary, or add an underground river which changes the flow of the overground one. This one doesn't sound that hard to fudge into correction. And yep, rivers also do change course in real life based on extreme circumstances.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
I can't put anything magical in and I don't want any plots to hinge on improbable natural disasters just happening to happen at just the right moment.

I'm doing some editing right now and it's going to be okay. Nobody panic, I'm a professional. I'm going to fix this.

Everything is fine. 9_9

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago

I mean, it doesn't even have to be an improbable disaster, it could be a seasonal thing. One route freezes in the winter and makes it flow one way, and opens up in the spring making it flow the other way.

A REAL Motivation thread

7 years ago
Or a monsoon rain, if that's your kind of thing. Adding a predictable environmental trigger would add nuance to the story imo.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I already gave you a brilliant idea

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Mizal's putting in all this hard work and she's still going to fail miserably. She really is shit huffing for naught.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I believe in mizal of all people just because she isn't the type to back out and/or fail when her dignity is involved, as she's seen what's done to people who risk such things. :3

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I believe in mizal so much! In fact, since I believe in her so much, I would like one hundred points to be taken from me if she fails.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Locked...

Edit: I may have made a grave, grave error.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Ugh, the children are all believing in me and things.

Crap I may really have to finish something now... >.>

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Minnie and Crescent are looking for a parental figure. Perhaps you can adopt them.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Minnie's got his heart set on you adopting him.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Even if I did do such a thing, Thara would just feed him to the hounds. She prefers being an only child.

Besides, Mizal is pretty good at the whole verbal abuse thing as well and if she takes Crescent in too, he'll have a sibling that won't be trying to kill him.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

@MinnieKing 

That's your only option, as of right now.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Not true, he can easily relaunch his Sims game with himself as End's only child and just wall up Thara and Crescent somewhere to make sure there's no competition.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I didn't want to give him any ideas.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Mother mizal. :3

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

That's not true. I can throw more loose change in the wishing well, write more fan fiction, hope, pray, dream... I won't give up! ;-;

I need Tharas acceptance

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Technically you didn't say no...

Pretty sure mizal isn't an option. I think she sees me as what happens to that piece of dog shit someone scrapes off their shoe after five years.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
It's not you Minnie, that's just all children.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I'm not sure whether to feel better, or insulted...

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I may really have come into this whole thing with the wrong mindset. The stories I most wanted to write are all ones that I care too much about making good. Fuck, I have a deadline, writing good stories is a luxury I can't afford. So sorry, you guys don't get wizard duels or fantasy politics anymore, I have a week off at the end of May and I'm going to spend it all drunk and spewing words about vampire dragons and magical wolf pups.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

May you have good fortune.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Just remember who's going to be reading this. The same fucking slobs and troglodytes who plague the forums. If you shit out any old trash, they'll eat it up. Stop trying so hard.

Also, huzzah! Drinking!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Thank you, that was my exact thought process.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I'll review them with utmost attention, if you'd like.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I think I found my inspiration! Nothing written yet, but the title alone, it really grabs the imagination you know?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
So... uh... Hi there? :)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Why are you bumping this. Don't do that.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Five months in and no stories that you're keeping up, huh?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm not worried about it. Everything is fine. :)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Anyway times have changed and this is a pretty tame bet. I guess I need to wager my entire account to be cutting edge, but, I really don't want to.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I also bet on you, so don't forget that. The stakes are higher than a thousand of your points.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
It is a sweet gesture but I actually don't consider you throwing 100 points at my feet to be that big a deal seeing as you already have nearly as many as I do, after seven months. Factor in the 200 commendations and in fact, I kind of hate you?

Anyhow don't worry, your points are safe. Seeing how my abortive non-story of a contest entry came out at 6/8 in length and somehow nearly managed to reach a rating of 5, shitting out six just slightly more completed ones should be fully manageable.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I didn't throw them at your feet, I sorta just threw them.

201*

True, I could earn a hundred in a few days if I wanted to. Oh well, too late now, and I don't like being wrong, so I hope you're right.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Does your contest entry count?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm taking it down a couple of weeks as soon as judging's over, but the updated version will. At least one of the six will wind up replacing one of Steve's stories, I'm calling it now. I'm pretty meh on points but that will be a goal to keep me focused.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Feel free to try, sweetheart. I'd start with making something deserving of staying published before coming after this motherfucker, but write your silly little head off.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

At first I actually thought Steve was being nice ("feel free to try" and "sweetheart"). What a wrong thought that was.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Usually, sweetheart is more a sexist and demeaning thing to call women, especially those your age or your senior. For a woman as old as Mizal, it's quite insulting.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

You pretty much have to pay Steve to be nice, unless he just makes a personal exception of being extra mean just for me.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

He could have went real old school and called her "Toots."

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

That's disgusting. Nobody calls anyone that anymore, and there's a good reason.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
That's just what I'd expect some dame to say. ;)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Yeah yeah whatever. Your stories are lazy and bad. All you've got going for you is the whole 'attention span' thing, which I have been researching and will eventually figure out.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

HS I forgot how good Redwall was. Now I want to reread it all.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I reread some of them a few years back and the original Redwall still holds up pretty well. Mossflower is a nice read too and Mattimeo is also okay. In the later books the quality starts dropping and they become such tIred retreads to the point even 13-14 year old Mizal of the ancient past was able to identify something amiss.

This is all aside from slow realizations such as 'hmm, these mice are all bigoted little shits? ...but wait they're actually backed up 100% in their beliefs by the narrative, now why does that make me so uncomfortable'

In the eighth grade I walked into the school library, looked at a new Redwall book and went 'nah', then I binged through Homecoming and the Tillerman Cycle by Cynthia Voight and decided I preferred books about human beings. Just another instance in my life of narrowly dodging becoming a furry, through the grace of God.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Huh, since I read them when I was super young I definetely never realised all this.  I've read practically all the ones before the 2000s and still get a spiritual high from connecting with my naive, pre-teen self by sliding on the rose-tinted glasses, so it might serve me well to have a look at the quality drop so I can have a more informed opinion on the series. Something like that. By later books do you mean from 2000 onwards?

Your point about the mice being bigoted shits stands true though, but seeing as its a children's book that seems to focus more on having fun rather than cultivating doublethink in children by pointing out the faults in the 'goodbeasts' I'm not that bothered by it. 

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I collected Redwall books as a kid. I was really awesome reader but I never read when I was younger because I wasn't allowed to pick out the cool books! I had to deal with Flat Staaaaaaaaanley instead. Until I met Redwall, and then I went crazy.

I think Tagerung was my favorite? I liked that adventurous feel. Triss was pretty sad, but, hmm, Clooney the Scourge terrified me so!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Oh goody, I'm the 100th post! Hey Mizal, I notice you're still on zero and we're over halfway through the year. I know you're making excuses or bullshit in the lair, but I think it's best to remind the others that you're a failure. This is why women can't write and all the best writers on the site have dicks. You're too lazy a gender.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Actually, simplesabley is female is memory comes to serve, and her storygames are amongst the best on the site in my opinion.If you mean current members, Cres is one of the few people who published anything good this year, and Mizal is a good writer though she does have a reputation of being excessively non-productive in terms of published storygames.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Not to mention Briar.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot her... Crud.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Eh, Briar's got two very good games, one alright one and two meh. A good writer definitely, but eh, whatever.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Eh, 3 stories for the best the females have to offer seems to be proving my point that I was only making to insult Mizal in a sexist manner.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Point taken.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Still a grumpy hedgehog, I see. ^_^

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Strangely enough, Steve, if you go to a bookstore (they still have those, right?) and check the SF&F section, you will find something like 80-90% of the writers are female. I can't explain it, but if you try to find good, current fantasy setting writers that are male, you will have a hard time.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I just noticed this had kinda fallen off onto the second page, so...

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

*GASP*

Mizal only has 4 months left!

And there's only 2 stories!

THERE SHOULD BE MORE

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Actually there's only 1 story. She wrote one of them in 2016 so it doesn't count for this year.

The RAPE story is the only thing she's officially written this year, so she needs five more stories to fulfill her self imposed requirement.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
And spending some time...alone... with Thara might motivate her to write... or maybe not.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
You will receive lizards, wizards, a superhero and two random objects yanked from my ass. There is no problem here.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Glad to hear it!

Well, not about the things in your ass, but still, good luck!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

The stress has now multiplied.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
It's so nice of Ogre to continually bump this.

I haven't written at all this month but I will hopefully be moving very soon and then everything will be beautiful and perfect and I'll have endless amounts of free time in which to perform amazing feats of writerliness. Everything is fine.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
That sounds right. :)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Isn't that what you said for the contest?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm not actually going to include the caveat of 'as long as I don't get hit in the face with more hurricanes or other assorted Bad Things' in every post, but let's just assume that it's there.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm curious if "Taking a break" will extend this deadline at all.

I'm hoping not! :)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Pretty sure an extension is not possible, End will still take away my points.

I'll probably put a profile back in soon now that I'm semi active on the forum again, mostly I was trying to discourage people from PMing me and it was either that or FUCK OFF I'M BUSY.

Not going to be offering to proofread etc. between now and the end of the year however, I haven't even been reading finished games lately.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Well if there's anything I can do to assist you such as proofreading, let me know! If I'm not terribly busy I don't mind helping out. 

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Is it just me, or can I know longer see where Mizal promised every story to be of at least 6 length. Surely I'm not the only one worried she's trying to wiggle out of this one?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I just want to read her work. Especially the fantasy ones. :O

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I'm not sure I remember that, however, I do remember her saying that each one of her stories had to be at least 5/8 in rating. I'm 99.9% sure that that was in the OP. The 6/8 length could have been there as well, but the min. rating being 5 was definitely there. 

So I suppose she might indeed be trying to wiggle out of this one. Especially regarding her new story. Not that it isn't good, but I'd be lying if I had full confidence in it being rated a five. 

Of course, mizal might just very well deny anything I claim to have seen so...

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

If you'll look through the comments, you'll find others responding to the 6/8 length and the 5/8 rating, as well as Mizal herself acknowledging it.

"Anyhow don't worry, your points are safe. Seeing how my abortive non-story of a contest entry came out at 6/8 in length and somehow nearly managed to reach a rating of 5, shitting out six just slightly more completed ones should be fully manageable. Mizal

"She might have to add to it after the judging is done because I doubt it will be a 6 length, but I could be wrong." 3J

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

You are correct good sir. I neglected to look through the comments, but I suppose mizal did as well when attempting to wiggle out of her commitments. 

Not sure why she did it in the first place, for it really only drew attention to it. Mistake on her part.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Yeah, that's our Mizal. Lazy, cheating, lying Mizal.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Indeed. 

@mizal You have committed crimes against Cystia and her people, what say you in your defense?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
The allegations made are false, as well as being ridiculous on the grounds that they're actually quite impossible. Obviously I did not edit my post, and now I'm at work and these insolent accusations are wasting my time. Now good day to you sir.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I know eyewitness accounts aren't always the most reliable sources, but when there's an entire thread where people are responding to the 'deleted' information, then surely there's something amiss. The obvious explanation (to me) is that you asked a mod to edit your post, so you could get out of your promises. Not that I'm accusing any mods, of course, for that who be akin to suicide. But the thought is there. 

Then again, I could be terribly wrong. Either way I suppose I'll let this drop. Mostly because I don't really care enough about whether you keep your promises. If someone else much more committed to making mizal stick to her promises were to read this, however, then I'm sure there would be enough of an argument to make her look a fool. 

Not that she didn't already do that. 

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Pffh, coward. You don't trust 3J, and Steve's memory? You are absurd. I will not let this rest.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Will not let what rest? 

It isn't that I don't trust either, rather, it's that I don't really care enough to do anything more with it. Other than drawing attention to it, which you and I have sufficiently done already. 

Be my guest to completely destroy her though. That seems entertaining.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I agree, letting this rest is a bad idea, mainly because it is making me doubt my own sanity.

I checked that fancy site someone pointed out before. Found this.

EDIT - Because brackets can technically be ignored when reading (right?) it means that having that criteria removed is perfectly fine, grammatically speaking.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Well, there is our solid proof. Despite this, however, ( and despite the fact we have numerous eyewitnesses ) she denied it on the grounds that she could not have edited it out. There's only one group of people I know of that can edit posts that have already been replied to, so that's the direction you should take if you really don't want to let this rest.

@Steve24833 You said you wouldn't let it rest either, so here is even more solid proof for you to use. 

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Steve's been trolling in here right from the start.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

You always misuse the word "trolling". Now apparently just pointing out people trying to avoid the buck is "trolling".

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Seems there's already objective proof thanks to Zake, I really don't need more.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Why are you guys shitting in my thread. The bathroom is down the hall to the left, hth.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Because sometimes, "down the hall" is just too far away.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
That's what they make diapers for haha!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

If you don't finish all of them you will dishonor your famiree!

Jk good luck.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
It seems that by not finishing these stories, I will be crushing the hopes and expectations of a number of innocent children. Hmm.

Hmmmmmm.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Maybe finish a couple stories....then let the rest of the children suffer.  Or copy and paste the same story like six times but change the names of characters and locations.  Hollywood does it so it must work (in hypnotised trance).

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I have faith in you, Mizal. Show that imbecile, Steve, up.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Hooray! 1 out of the 6 completed with 15 days to go in the year!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Ayy. Mizal got this. :D Just finish your December entry, mizal. ^-^

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

With one story featured and another commended, it would truly be tragic if you choked and failed to provide two more stories towards your six.

But we all know that's what is going to happen anyway, so why put yourself through the headache of trying to complete your impossible goal? Surely you can afford to take a 1000 point loss, and who really cares about points anyway?

Stop struggling just embrace it.

Close your eyes and I'll take you there.

Don't fight it.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Man I've got this shit. Two weeks is plenty of time and it's not like anything important, distracting or time consuming is happening between now and New Years right?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I suppose that depends on how close you are to your family. ;)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
EVERYTHING IS FINE

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

^_^ I'm sure you'll make it!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Classy.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

5 stories down and about 7 hours left.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Cheaters never prosper.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
And in a shocking twist, it turns out that everything really is fine!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Congratulations, you have saved your worthless points!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
now you need to write 7 this year and bet 2000 points :D

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm going for quality over quantity this year. I have a couple big projects I want to finish properly and get featured.

Still might do a couple small games, there's a few ideas I'd like to do something with that full sized games are just never going to happen for given the inconvenient finiteness of human existence.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Bull. I expect two epics and a 3,000 point wager.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Please don't tempt me.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

God fucking dammit. I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one losing a large sum of points this new year.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

You only have 114 and if you still have a week to save your worthless points.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Impressive, so that means you're eligible for 3J's trophy when he returns from the Canadian wilderlands?

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
I'm not sure if he'll remember that, but I'm going to work on getting more stuff featured in the meantime so we'll see. Definitely like to get his and Will's to round out my trophy case someday.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Congratulations- you must be ridiculously sleep deprived!

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Hahahahaha. You have no idea. Additionally I didn't actually get around to eating anything till 11pm yesterday and was rocking that 'hmm might need a glass of water' low key headache for awhile there before I noticed.

Also cool I see I just got a long review from @Mayana but lol at her precious, precious naivety in thinking anyone has ever read a single one of those stories or will even now. I forgot unfortunately that the End Game link can't be used to add to a score or I could track it, but I guarantee 90% of players will take the alternate escape route or use pro-tier Ctrl+F techniques rather than *shudder* read a story.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
You are rather pesimistic. At least a few people read them when you posted them, I think most were in the weekly review thread. Those that don't like to read probably won't use ctrl+f, because they'll never even bother to get to that point. Only a special few haters might do it, and even then they won't search for answers, they'll just use the back button, because they'll know when they answered wrong. And I hope you liked the comment. I'm not good at reviews.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Pffh, this is a hollow victory from which you should garner no joy, you've cheated and changed your promise by taking away the length and rating qualifications. I hope you feel empty.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I'm still impressed that Mizal could finish six storygames in a year. She is a slow writer, apparently, and many thought she couldn't do it.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Pffh, there's nothing to be impressed with. She didn't even fail with honor, she cheated to escape losing her points.

Oh, hang on. I guess you should be impressed with the cheating, well done on that one. 1000 points is being saved either way.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Ohh. She did cheat. Well, cheat is a harsh word. ;-; Wasn't the rating minimum 5 or 6 or something?
1000 is a lot of points going to waste.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

The length rating was the real fuck over, that's what was important.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
It's too bad no one who matters cares about your bitter, drunk bitching, huh.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

I have a bunch of spare torches, pitchforks and misdirected resentment laying around... seems like just the things needed to continue this literary witch-hunt.

;)

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

Damn, and I won't have time to write out a fully fleshed out witch hunt in my story.  Alas and alack.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago

You've once again made the mistake of not understanding that Steve is the only person who matters, as he's the focal point of knowable reality.

A REAL Motivation thread

6 years ago
Sheesh, everyone knows that.