Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

How long did it take you to create your story?

7 years ago

I'm in the process of worldbuilding and creating a sort of history for the setting of my storygame, and it's probably going to take a very long time. With that said, I was wondering how long it took everyone else to write their stories. 

7 years ago

I tend to take a month for each storygame, maybe two. Among the Trees was done in a weekend, though, and the SWAT one took maybe a week.

7 years ago

So you wrote Achilles in a month? Impressive for an Irishman.

Or... was it Chase that did all the work?

7 years ago

Might've taken two months, I can't remember exactly. It was mainly me, although as I'm a narcissist and there's no one to claim otherwise, I'm taking all the credit. Achilles isn't even my longest game, that'd by Path of Death.

7 years ago

How long did that take?

7 years ago

A month, maybe a month and a half I think. It's about 90'000 words if a remember correctly.

7 years ago

Shit, the Hobbit's only 95,000 words long and it took Tolkien a couple of years. Fine writing there chap. 

7 years ago

I know, I'm spectacular.

7 years ago

Dead Man Walking is in the vicinity of a million words and Berka wrote it in about a year, I think. He released two games that year though...

OMS is roughly 40,000 words and I wrote it in 3 or 4 days or something, but it's pretty shitty.

7 years ago

Well, considering it's the 3rd highest storygame overall, it seems most people enjoyed it. How on earth did you write 40,000 words in 3 days?

7 years ago

First of all, it's an approximate word count and I haven't actually tested to ensure that it's accurate, so maybe I didn't!

But, basically, I was 17 and it was summer and I just didn't do anything else for three days. There was no story planning or (especially) proofreading, so I pretty much just outputted a stream of consciousness into my keyboard. I also type ludicrously quickly.

As far as the site rating, I think it's highly biased due to being an admin. I don't think it's even remotely deserving of that ranking and I'm not just saying that to be modest. It's quite linear, has a super obnoxious maze, is entirely indelicate, is jam packed full of cliches, and the writing is bad and full of grammatical and spelling errors.

7 years ago

Looks like you have a far better work ethic than I do. I have to force myself to write sometimes, it's difficult just to get your ideas onto the page. 

Yeah, I played through it once and while it was pretty good, it probably shouldn't beat out the likes of Necromancer or the Price of Freedom. 

7 years ago

I think it should narrowly make the top 25-50, personally. Thanks though, I appreciate it. I think it was probably less about work ethic and more about thinking that every word I wrote was golden ether and true perfection. Now, I'm slow, because I have the ability to be adequately self-critical.

7 years ago
Still waiting on that finished list of how you rate all the storygames on the site. Especially curious now that I see you've rated the third highest storygame so low. Though I do agree its rating is inflated.

@JJJ-thebanisher

7 years ago

I really need to resume work on that.

7 years ago
From what I remember DMW is actually smaller than Eternal in total word count - probably around 650,000 words. Mightily impressive.

7 years ago

Well, you're fucking wrong. DMW is over 1 000 000 words. 

7 years ago

"Fun Facts About The Game: 121 Variables, 2131 Pages, 6744 Links, 530,000+ Words (over half a million baby!)" - BerkaZerka

Link - http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-parlor-room/message/8495

Eternal has over 0.65 million words and is larger than DMW by a big margin.

7 years ago
Eternal Statistics (from IS):
495 rooms,
1 contributor(s),
549 choices,
148,720 hits,
0 loose ends,
0 rooms pending review,
648,067 words.

7 years ago

Somebody did their research. *starts slowly clapping*

7 years ago

So that's like an average of 125 words an hour, going with month. But then again, there's the matter of finding time to write and knowing what to write about.

7 years ago
2 hours.

7 years ago
Since this is your first story game I would highly recommend you create a smaller one first before moving on to more ambitious projects. Too many people think they can make this large masterpiece as their first work only to burn themselves out after a couple of months.

Personally my first one took a month or so I believe. Although I remember playing around with the editor for a while before actually committing to it.

7 years ago

I wrote my first story in little over a week, but that one wasn't exactly great. As for the rest, I have terrible motivation, and it usually takes me a few months to a few years until I actually publish something.

7 years ago
I'm approaching five years working on the bullshit I call 'creative writing' - two stories in particular that I keep procrastinating and forgetting about.