Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Mizal's Fantasy Rebellion Thing

7 years ago
It has been decreed that every fantasy rebellion story idea posted here must undergo a trial by fire. This is not a problem for those of us who think our plots through in the first place, but for the sake of fairness, here's mine:

The country is called Lisali, and main character is Tamberlee, the disinherited eleventh child of a very unpopular king. When the story starts she's living in obscurity, keeping her identity a secret and supporting herself working as a scribe for wealthy merchants.

Her father Gattri came to the throne when the former king, his cousin Melchrius, was killed in a war across the sea. The way Lisali succession laws worked would have made the Queen ruler until their young child was an adult, but Gattri and a few officials not visibly connected to him accused her of adultery, produced evidence, and had her imprisoned and the child sent away before anyone realized Melchrius was dead. (A retired general and some other high placed people absolutely loyal to the King and Queen suffered accidents and illnesses around that time that made them unable to stand up for her.)

After years of mismanaging the kingdom, Gattri dies of what's believed to be a heart attack brought on by his hedonistic lifestyle. (AKA, his enormous fat ass)

His heir dies in a riding accident before he even gets the news. There's a dispute about the fitness of the next oldest to rule, and several factions go to work taking advantage of the uncertainty.

Some of the rebels want to restore the Queen and the line of Melchrius, some of them want to replace the monarchy entirely with a council of nobles, some want things to carry on as they are only with a puppet on the throne, and some want the kingdom to become a part of the neighboring one, but pretty much all of them agree it would be a good idea to wipe Gattri's line out entirely to prevent any future messes, and being a disinherited eleventh child won't necessarily save Tamberlee.

Of course, IF she plays her cards right after getting found out, and IF she throws in with the right faction, she might not only survive, but wind up ruling the country. And that's when the real problems will start.

I might have to wind up making this one a two part thing, but I'd rather not.

ETA: At some point in 2017. Maybe.

Come at me bitches. I can answer any question.

7 years ago

I just have a few questions. 

What is the kingdom called?

What's the history of the kingdom?

Are there any other kingdoms/countries?

What race are the characters?

Are there any other races/ethnicities?

What are the religions of this world? 

What is the relationship between the king and the nobles?

What are the succession laws?

What's the current ruling family?

Where does this even take place?

What year is it?

What's the social system like? Is it a typical feudal system or something more original?

7 years ago

Pfft, none of these questions are important.

Here are the questions that matter:

Will I be able to customize my character's appearance?

Can my character be trans?

Can my character be asexual?

Can my character be autistic?

Can my character be handicapped?

Can my character be a furry?

Will you provide the appropriate pronouns for my character's designation?

Will there be non-binary romances in the story?

Will you provide trigger warnings where appropriate?

Will you address social injustices as they compare in the real world?

7 years ago
1.) No

2.) No

3.) No

4.) No

5.) No

6.) No

7.) 'she'

8.) No

9.) No

10.) No

11.) No

Thanks for asking, hope that cleared things up!

7 years ago
Mizal is clearly a bully.

7 years ago
1.) Lisali. In the OP.

2.) A smallish continent was discovered about 1200 years ago by seven merchant princes after an event known as the Cataclysm disrupted the tides and their fleets wound up there. They went the city-state route at first, but over the years three were wiped out, three were united into the current kingdom with control of over 90% of the continent, and the last withdrew to the mountains and learned enough ancient secrets that no one ever wanted to fuck with them.

3.) Vanderbon is the mountain kingdom. They keep to themselves but they've been allies to Lisali any time that it matters. They've never taken to squabbling among themselves the way the Lisalians do, so their rulers can trace their line all the way back to one of the original merchants, and by many they're considered to have a more legitimate claim on the entire continent.

The continent to the south is split up into several small countries, and Melchrius was participating in a kind of holy war against one of those that was getting cuddly with the undead.

There are raiders from an island chain to the northwest, but Melchrius' father kicked their shit in pretty decisively so it rarely happens anymore.

4.) Tamberlee is the default pasty European fantasy type.

5.) There's a good mix of ethnicities among the general population, nobility and some of Tamberlee's siblings since the original merchant fleets had humans from all over the world.

Lisali is human dominated. A few dwarves, elves and goblinoids still exist, but were wrecked pretty badly by the same cataclysm that brought the humans there, and within a few generations their remnants were further crushed by the humans themselves, or simply left. (The elves are the closest to having a still existing 'kingdom' as they still possess some holdings on the southwest tip of the continent. But they're not the usual Tolkien stereotypes, and also they may not entirely live in the same reality as everyone else.)

6.) Lisali has an official religion worshipping a god of light and justice named Radaiso and represented by the sun. There are various sects and orders that approach this in different ways and they're given a lot of freedom there as long as they don't ever say people shouldn't pay taxes. Vanderbon practices some mix of traditional Radaiso worship and some kind of ancient dwarven rites, as far as anyone can tell. They don't get out much.

The raiders and kingdoms to the south all have a mix of different traditions, but the Radaiso stuff is rooted in pretty deep because of an ancient empire they and the people who founded Lisali all sprang from. The orcs worship animal spirits. No one talks about the elves.

7.) There's long-standing contempt between the older families who have a hard on for honor, tradition, etc., and those who essentially purchased their titles. The latter were for the most part supportive of Gattri due to a lot of money changing hands, and he broke tradition by giving them the highest positions among his advisors. (Essentially he was crass, fat, womanizing glutton pouring the treasury into the gutter, and relationships depended on who was willing to look past that in favor of all the perks of being in the king's favor.)

8.) Covered in the OP, as far as it relates to the story. Melchrius was an only child, and once his heir was declared illegitimate in his absence, his cousin Gattri was next in line. (Lisali is progressive compared to actual RL medieval kingdoms, so male or female heir doesn't matter.)

Though if the ruler feels any of their family are unfit they can remove them from the line of inheritance just so long as everything is done properly and officially. It's not unheard of for female heirs to have been skipped over this way, and, while the motive wasn't related to her gender, this is essentially what happened to Tamberlee.

9.) Read the OP. Or this post is fine too.

10.) Reeeaaad the OP.

11.) 1246 A.C. (After Cataclysm)

12.) Again, Lisali's pretty progressive, comparatively speaking, especially in the capital city of Lisalton where most of the story takes place. There are no serfs or slaves or anything like that. (in the poorer sections in the interior of the country where most of the farming happens they do sharecropping and the like.) In a big city like Lisalton, people get jobs and pay rent.

Given who the original founders were, the laws favor merchants quite a bit, and the wealthy will frequently purchase titles and keep their own contingents of knights. Travel and trade is frequent and people have a basic understanding of like, hygiene and basic medical stuff. Also a lot of the pageantry of nobility has been done away with, except among the actual royalty.

Now go away, I'm tired.

7 years ago

Are you stealthily insulting me (not through the idea itself, just by saying that "This is not a problem for those who think their plots through in the first place")?

7 years ago

She's openly insulting you, and so am I. Faggot. 

7 years ago
LOL, beat me to it. Thanks.

7 years ago

How would you like it if your boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other found out about how you acted here? I bet they'd be ashamed that you were such a jerk.

7 years ago

Mizal's cats don't give a shit

7 years ago
Does your mom know what a pathetic, sniveling little bitch you are?

At this point I feel like I should send her a coathanger and remind her they work on all ages.

7 years ago

I apologize, that was rude for me to say. Please accept my humble apology.

Q1: Is there magic? If so, how does it work?

Q2: How will the protagonists achieve their goal? Brute force? Diplomacy? Stealth and guerilla tactics? Magic?

7 years ago

I'm pretty sure it'd be a turn on.

7 years ago

Q: Is there magic? If so, how does it work?

7 years ago
I mentioned the undead and intimidating ancient powers. Also plane/reality bending elves.

Magic comes in the form of 1.) corruptive evil and 2.) fantasy nukes. Very few will ever encounter it, certainly no one sane wants to mess with it.

7 years ago

So it's like Conan the Barbarian?

7 years ago
Or Ralph Bakshi's Wizards?