Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

It's probably not very good. I'm a terrible writer, after all.

So the setting is in a China/Japan-inspired fantasy world, with my working name being Huanxiang. In the dojo of Long Zhanglao, creator of the Two Heavens As One martial art style, there are four students. The eldest, Hei Lang, is the strongest and Long's preferred inheritor of the style. The largest is Qingtong Gongniu (nicknamed Gong), a gentle giant who would prefer not to fight. Yu She is the third and the only (currently) training girl in the school. She's a tomboy who wants to be stronger and prove herself to her family. And finally there is Yin Hu, the fourth disciple. He's sarcastic and blunt, but he has the most potential out of the four.

But one day, Gong, Yu and Yin are training, with Hei being late. He shows up, but... not himself. He has been controled by the Lust Demon, Yokubo! Tempted by an eternity of bloodlusty fighting and sex, he has given himself over to her. She, and her six demon associates, empower the seven deadliest warriors of the King, a ruthless man who took the throne by force from his kind and gentle brother. Hei kills Long, and brutally attacks the three other disciples, only leaving them alive because "You're not worth either my time or my fist.".

After resting and healing for a week, the three receive a prophetic dream from the spirit of their old master: They, along with nine other people they will meat, are the Zodiarcs, a group of warriors reincarnated over millennia whenever the world faces danger. They will have to keep training both their skills and their new Zodiarc powers, find the other nine and attempt to take down the Tsumi-no-Akuma (Sin Demons)!

Again, it's probably terrible.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

*meet *Zodiacs(?)

It's not a bad idea, pretty interested in seeing how this will turn out, actually.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

Zodiarcs. Zodiac + Arc

A idea I had.

7 years ago

Chinese Wuxia and Japanese monsters, the best of both folktales! Nothing really seems outwardly wrong with the premise, since stories have a lot to do with details and execution. You may need to come up with a consistent name system between everyone, or explain why there are very Japanese names and aspects of the story and also very Chinese names and aspects of the story and why these two interacting cultures in the fantasy world aren't intergrated.

Also, I'd probably prefer the disciples escaping of their own volition. Sparing someone that could even possibly be your downfall is an oversight that's happened time and time again in media and is largely discreditted. That isn't even how the good guys operated back then. It makes your villain look inept and stupid rather than powerful if you do this kind of thing, and on the flipside, if your heroes are competent enough to escape, it feels like they have a chance to grow and take on the new threat later.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

I do have a scheme: "Otherworldy" things, like magic and monsters, have Japanese names. Normal people and objects have Chinese names.

And Hei is going full-on Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy, and he thinks that the three are "Wimps" that "Could never match his power". But fair point nonetheless, and I will consider it.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

Gong: Ox Zodiarc, increasing his physical strength and durability.

Yu: Snake Zodiarc, which allows her to manipulate water.

Yin: Dragon Zodiarc, which allows him to manipulate fire.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

I like the idea very much, it reminds me of those old kung-fu movies and a few animes. It certainly sounds more original than some of the other stuff on here.

You sound like you've got the characters down well, as well as the core of the story. With enough backstory fleshed out then it could be a decent story.

A idea I had.

7 years ago

I do have a plan for that. Thank you.