Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Anyone got any ideas for a story I could do?

7 years ago

This was originally on newbie central, people said the post didn't make since so I moved it here. I'm just looking for a good idea for a story (I've got a few, but I want to  see what you guys think.)

Put your ideas in this thread:

7 years ago
If you already have some ideas, why not share them and ask for a bit of criticism on them?

7 years ago

That's smart, but I'm pretty sure I've got a good idea in my head.

7 years ago

The troll-meter! It's... it's over 9,000!

Pardon me, but after seeing your response to MrM's helpful suggestion, I cannot in good faith take your intentions seriously.

7 years ago

Heh. Sorry, that was pretty trollish of me to say. (Is trollish even a word?)

7 years ago
If you have a good idea, present it to us.

7 years ago

Is that good? 

7 years ago

Alright, my idea is about people around the world in modern time who start to develop magical powers. Some use these powers for good, some use it for bad, the story is about a guy named Dolton Timmer who becomes one of these magicians. That good?

7 years ago
That's a start. What's the central problem the story is trying to answer? Is it about him growing up? Is it about magic being used for good and/or evil? Is it about the pains of learning? Details, please.

7 years ago

I haven't gotten that into it, but its about a group of people who use these powers to fight good. They fight other powerful magicians around the world, and general bad people.

7 years ago
Fight good? As in fight on the side of good? What's good and bad in this reality? Is a vampire more 'good' than a summoner who summons demons? Is a summoner more good than an elementalist that creates golems? Again, details.

7 years ago

Killers, Thieves, stuff like that.

7 years ago

A good person would be somebody who's fighting against these thief's, and killers. (Somehow, I'm going to try to put demons into this too, just haven't gotten to it.)

7 years ago

Is it good?

7 years ago

I'll say this now before a more blunt member arrives. No, it is not. Assuming you genuinely believe this is good work, you have a long way to go before you become a capable storygame writer.

What you've shared right now is the storygame equivalent of scribbling three lines on a napkin and asking for praise for your art skills.

What you've offered isn't an idea, it's barely a fraction of an idea. See the other threads on the Writing Workshop, and see how they've mentioned their ideas in detail before asking for feedback. If you are serious about this, please come up with a meaningful story framework. I will not be responding to any 'story ideas' further on this thread that are not atleast 150 words long. This message itself is probably 150 words.

7 years ago

Okay, well..

I'll try to work on the idea, I mean like I said I was just looking for some feedback, I'm hardly even done with the first chapter, I'm still developing and working on the idea. and I didn't intend it to make it sound good, because like you said, I don't have much on it. But thanks for your opinion, anyway.

7 years ago

Once I have a solid idea, and it goes beyond 150 words, I'll show you and you can judge it if you want.

7 years ago

@TheAmazingWilson

When you do something like this:?

7 years ago

Y'know, posting a bunch of times in a row like this.

7 years ago

It's called being a fucking spammer.

Use the edit button.

7 years ago

Sorry, I'm still new to the site, I just joined yesterday 

7 years ago

We know you're new. :) Like Stryker said, before you ask for feedback, please give the ideas and details first. Otherwise, our judgments will be pretty low. I think that that one sentence is a good whim of a thing and has some potential. :D

7 years ago

Thanks! 

Story idea? Wish granted!

7 years ago

OOH! I have one. I recently played a game called Reigns, it's simple enough, but the story is a potentially compelling one with alteration and expansion. Here's my version (with intro):

One upon a time, a mighty king boasted a grand fortune of such gold, jewels and silks to make any rival jealous enough to kill him, were they not so afraid of his imposing and loyal army consisting of the finest men anybody could muster. However, even these treasures and achievements did not satisfy him, as material wealth and other human notions of accomplishment faded...

One day, a tempting demon approached him and offered something worth all the wealth and beyond, the immortality of the king's memories. Every new king would inherit his memories, the demon advised, preserved for eternity as if they were lived just yesterday. More so, he said, the memories of admiration and aspiration from each new king also remembered so the next may envy him all the more. The rich king gladly accepted, as no scroll or engraved stone could ever preserve his legacy better than the passing on of his very consciousness! The king died happily of old age a few years later, and a successor was crowned. That is when the curse began...

You see, every time a new king was crowned, the memories of the old ones were indeed so well preserved like the demon had promised, but with every fear, vice, regret and even the moment of death vividly remembered, each new king had to bear the burdens of this knowledge while their subjects call them all mad fools for being so preposterous in such an impossible idea.

The game continues with each new king being played through and deaths such as poisoning, violent murder and so on being remembered by the next (since the player reads it), causing each successor to become madder and more melancholic as they increasingly seek to break the curse. The game can also feature kings learning from the predecessor's mistakes instead of the conventional game over (the story continuing regardless) and players are encouraged to actively choose more paranoid options such as refusing banquets and executing close friends in order to avoid regression and nasty deaths, all while furthering the story's main plot to end the curse once and for all.

I would be happy to provide further story development ideas and contributions. What do you think so far?

EDIT: Yes, it basically follows the same basic premise as Reign itself, but without the two-option kingdom balancing and a very dark storyline instead of the original silly tone.

7 years ago

You know what, that actually sounds really cool. I might do something with that.

7 years ago

[Copied from PM for an update to the watchers]

A few name ideas:

Perhaps
- Cursed Memories
- A King's Regrets
- The Sovereign Curse

7 years ago

Alright, well thanks I'm officially going to attempt to use this idea.