Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

The River of Fire Rewritten

6 years ago

So, since I am going to be shamed in the Chaos Contest, I might as well start working on my new project.

Along with Insanity Castle, The River of Fire is one of my best games. Due to this fact (and March's will), I will be doing a rewrite of it, to add more length, pages, detail, branches, and horror vibes.

Every page will have at least 250 words. The storygame will have at least a hundred pages.

And i'll be spending a lot of time of this. No rushing. No funny business.

Every now and then, i'll publish an update on how it's going and maybe a page or two from the storygame. It begins.

Pages completed: 0/99+

Words written: 0

6 years ago

Good luck, King! I can't wait to see the final product!

6 years ago

Thank you very much, my valued fruity friend. I can't wait to see it in all its glory either.

6 years ago

The Hall Where it all Starts

Words: 281

Darkness seems to radiate from these walls. The hallway you stand in is pitch black, and the only light is coming from the end of the passage, about a hundred feet away. Behind you is an inky blackness, leading God knows where. Hardly being able to see, you try to remember how you got in this situation. Your memories seem to be gone, and you don’t know how or why you are in this hall, or where it leads for that matter. The hall has an unsettling feeling to it, but you don’t have much of a choice. You take a step, only to realize your leg is half asleep and you feel pins and needles pulsing through it.

You continue walking, your legs waking up a bit with each step. The hall continues to radiate shadows from the walls, depicting what look to be faces. The faces shown are gruesome. One is slowly melting and has its mouth widely hanging open. Another has a dagger in its forehead and has its eyes lolled back in its skull. Eerie.

“This must be a dream…” you say to yourself with fright. You try pinching yourself as you walk, but nothing happens. The pinches don’t even seem to inflict pain on you. You’re numb.

The temperature of the hall seems to increase with each step you take. The light from the end of the hall gets closer and closer, until finally, you reach the end. Behind you, the hall is completely pitch black. The light from the arch-like opening in the hall no longer illuminates past the shadows.

You step into the light, not knowing what will happen or what you’re getting yourself into.

6 years ago

Best is a little iffish. I'd prefer least worse. It gets the point across that it's better to keep mining for gold rather than try shine the rocks you've found.

6 years ago

There can be gold within discovered rocks.

6 years ago

No.

6 years ago

Yes.

6 years ago

The concepts are mostly fine. There's just a lot of polishing and refinement to be done before the rocks actually approach something reminiscent of Lapis Lazuli, let alone proper metal. Possibly some electroplating may have to be done.

6 years ago

Update...

Pages written: 13/99+

Words written: 3978

Endings finished: 0/5+

6 years ago

Yay! Go, I suppose!

6 years ago

Been writing rather slowly, but over six thousand words have been written. The plotting has been the easiest part, and after mapping this out properly the words practically write themselves, so it's going well all in all.

6 years ago

That's great! I'm proud, King.

6 years ago

Thanks Orange, i'm proud too.