Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Do Y'all Dislike High School Stories?

6 years ago

So on a scale of 1-10 how much do you guys hate high school stories at this point? I know there's already a lot but I wanted to do something pretty simple for my first project and I was just wondering if anybody would actually read it ^_^

6 years ago

Well, every story around here normally receives about twenty ratings fairly quickly. The top storygames of the school based category are pretty well liked, for there's some good writing in them. In fact, that's what really matters in terms of reader engagement. If your writing is good enough, then your plot, characters, and storygame will be interesting to your readers.

What the site hates about high school stories, in the most part, is the poor writing often associated with those stories. Plus, there's been several instances of "LOL RANDOM YOU DIED!" humor in those (which is not something a writer should strive for).

To simply everything, write a good storygame, thus it would be read.

6 years ago
1. I see nothing wrong with them, as long as they are written well. But even if they aren't, people will still read them, to rate them a 1 and get the point.

6 years ago

Eww High School stories, middle school is where it's at.

6 years ago
I've just never understood the appeal of stories about high schoolers doing inane high school activities or having the topical eye rolling high school relationship drama. Even back when I was in school myself it was probably the last thing I was interested in reading about. (Unless there was at least a murder mystery or some kind of actual plot going on beyond 'high school kids are in high school'.)

That said, even after a contest specifically attempting to improve it, the school category is still one of the weakest on the site. If you feel like writing something to put there, go for it, it may help and it certainly wouldn't hurt. And even if it's not a favorite genre for most, if you're interested and enjoying what you're writing about enough to put some care and effort in, it goes a long way no matter what the subject.

6 years ago

I'm not too fond of the high school stories on here, since most of the things that revolve in those stories are...well, highschool stuff, as you can imagine. I don't want to read about teenagers lounging around at school. Maybe if there was one with well-developed relationships going on, or someone was trying to burn the school down or something, or just anything else happening...at which point it would probably fit into a different genre altogether.

I still enjoy Finals Week, though.

6 years ago

Here's a good high school story.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/repression

6 years ago

Shameless self promotion

6 years ago

Why not make it a pre-school story? About the complexities of the Grade 1 social structure? True love at age five? I don't know. High school stories are fine, I guess. It depends on the direction you wish to take it. I'm assuming it's a romance, but it would be really refreshing to see something new done with 'high-school' or 'high-school and romance'. If it's going to go down the 'romance path', I generally see these high-school stories fail because the reader becomes alienated or loses interest. (Refer to A. and B.) I used to read roleplays with a mate of mine that dealt with this kind of story and they were horrible because:

A. The characters were unrelatable to the point of disengaging with the reader, whether it be caused by inconsistencies in their personalities and their actions.

B. The dialogue is poorly executed - causing an instant turn off.

- These two problems significantly lowers the stakes readers feel when going through a story.

What you must remember is, even if it's not a romance, high-school stories derive their allure to readers because it is a period of time which most can relate to: and in a way, 'relive' a dramatic version of what is usually a boring and painful transitory period to adulthood. Having characters that engage a reader is a must for this type of story - unless what you're setting out to write is really strange.

9/10 - I've become sick of bad high-school stories and now, as a rule, I avoid them. 

6 years ago
Challenge accepted.

6 years ago

Do it.

6 years ago

Honestly, it's probably a good idea to do a school story, because if it's even half good it could be featured.

6 years ago

Shhhh I'm working on one.

6 years ago

I enjoy High School Stories.

6 years ago
Really? So much you had to necro a thread just to say that? Even though nobody cares anymore?

6 years ago

I mean, the thread isn't that old. Not to the point where i'd consider it "necroing." Besides, the Writing Workshop is one of the less active forums, so its not like it's unorganizing much.

6 years ago

Fuck off, a month is necroing.

6 years ago
I've changed my opinion to high school stories being straight up shit now. More than any other genre, people who write them just don't have the foggiest notion what a plot is or why it's important for a story.