Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
My update thread for Bucky's Dec 2017 contest.

Prompt: 14) The protagonist is an orc.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Eagerly looking forward to the end of the week update on your word count.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
2 so far if you count the title

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Update 1: Killing two birds with one stone by making a storygame that was requested of me by End some ages ago that I never did anything with. Haven't decided between second vs thrid person yet. Player will be orc (RPG) and since I have too many ideas I'm going to make one blanket idea that encompasses all of them (cause that /always/ works /s). Don't know if it'd be better to have sneak enabled or not. Taking suggestions on it if reason included.

Storygame title: Iota

Update 2: Started an outline. Unknown how many chapters there will be in the end but I'm starting a short path of three. I want even the short path to be a satisfying story so I figure it's a good start. Short path is a simple 3 chapter (technically 5 but the meat of it is in the middle 3) game. 10 pages per chapter seems reasonable to me as the pages aren't particularly short (4ℙ+). So theoretically the shortest path should be 50 pages by this metric. I think getting close to 50 pages on the short path will be a reasonable start.

I'm in a unique position in that I keep a timetracker on my phone to track study time, sleep, procrastination, coding, etc. So I can actually provide data for how long I spent writing on CYS to the hour :D

( . Y . )

6 years ago
update 3: According to my timetracker I have worked an entire 5 hours on the storygame. Word count is now 1 since I changed the title. However, word count outside the story is greater than one. Whiteboard has current outline and list of paths organized. http://chooseyourstory.com/story/iota

enabled sneak for no particular reason since nobody will check and even if they do they might get 2 pages in before they hit a blank page

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Not sure whether eyes or boobies... ???

( . Y . )

6 years ago
I say the same thing when talking to women.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

Breasts typically don't come in blue or green.  Just remember that next time you're confused. ;)

( . Y . )

6 years ago
The protagonist is now a female orc with one blue boob and one green boob.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

Well now I really can't help you.  Sorry; I tried. ;)

( . Y . )

6 years ago
There's going to be a character named Mynoris whose eyes are nipples and if you look at them your breast size increases exponentially over time until you explode.

It's based on real life.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Whoa nice that's exactly my fetish

( . Y . )

6 years ago

Well, in this case, fiction is definitely stranger than truth.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

You never did answer the question, you know. ;)

( . Y . )

6 years ago
they're my boobs

( . Y . )

6 years ago
moved to AZ. spent a few days on the road so no progress and also now that I'm here I have real life obligations to attend to for the week. should be free next week to work on it. internet sucks ass out here so I'll be writing in notepad when I can and then copy-pasting at night when the neighborhood isn't using so much internet.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

I hope you're not in Tuscon or buttfuck Flagstaff.

You totally lucked out if you moved to Tempe or Scottsdale though, welcome to AZ. You'r lucky have come during the winter.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Flagstaff. Ironically I was born in Tucson but didn't live there for more than a few months after I was born and have never returned since.

I feel extremely unlucky to have come during the winter because I just came from 200ft altitude in hot asf georgia where the air is 60% humidity and now I'm at 5k altitude, 0 fkn humidity, and cold as hell. It's hard to breathe, everything is dry, and I'm cold.

Also moving to a college town like flagstaff is fucking surreal. Everyone - EVERYONE at walmart (EVEN THE PEOPLE WORKING THERE) are my age and it was fucking brutal culture shock. There is nobody middle aged here. It's either old people out in the boonies of the mountains or young people flocking around and I hate both and I just want to get my engineering degree and leave like holy shit.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

Sorry to hear you're so miserable there.

( . Y . )

6 years ago

Oh yeah Flagstaff is going to get packed now that it's snowing. Actually thought it was a real conservative town until I got around NAU, bunch of hipsters and shit near the downtown, old-school district. Bunch of Vegan and Bakeries run by people in their early twenties, didn't see much middle aged people either except for tourists.

Although I'd rather be at NAU then ASU or UofA.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Update 2 week 2: no progress at all but tons of progress on irl stuff like registering vehicles and getting various ID's so I got that going for me which is nice.

on a related sidenote the internet here is so fucking terrible I'm using mobile data only for all my interneting

( . Y . )

6 years ago
hahaha mobile hotspots welcome to the last four years of my life

( . Y . )

6 years ago
week 3 update 1: I made an item and a better outline

Taking suggestions: unique characteristics of the orc. If you want a weirdly specific characteristic of the orc now is the time before I actually think much about the character.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
The orc buys into elven rhetoric about their cultural superiority and wants the horde to emulate them

( . Y . )

6 years ago
maybe

( . Y . )

6 years ago

He has excessively good table manners.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
yes

( . Y . )

6 years ago
When the village is thriving, he likes to feed bacon to pigs.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
sure

( . Y . )

6 years ago

He wears only kilts or togas depending on the dress code of the situation. Kilts are for battling and togas are for all other situations. :)

( . Y . )

6 years ago
yeah w/e

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Despite being a rather ugly orc, he insists he is a royal princess.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
as it has been stated in this exact thread several days ago...

( . Y . )

6 years ago

He plays a magic triangle.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
An Orc who takes up any contest but always drops out in the end.

( . Y . )

6 years ago
I've realized I planned way too far ahead in some areas and I need to shorten the damn thing because I know for a fact that if I do what I plan to I'm biting off more than I can chew. Just gonna dip my ideas in some cold water aaaand Commence Shrinkage!

Just reminding everyone

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Dropped out of the contest so I'm switching to daily updates. Keeping what I have so far and will publish at the latest Jan 10 but I really am shooting for Dec 31. I believe I owe a certain god a storygame.

3PM - 100 Words

( . Y . )

6 years ago
Edited for total word count:

14 - 200
15 - 800
16 - 200
17 - 1000
18 - 1000
19 - 1000
20 - 1000
21 - 0