Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

December Contest: A Horror Ballad

6 years ago

Here I go, plunging into the horror genre for the first time.

This might be a bust or a win but I am looking forward to the challenge! Also writing the entire thing as a ballad will be fun as well. The ballad part should help me write more "show not tell" writing so good luck to me and to the others!

6 years ago

As my winter break approaches, I will be able to invest more of my own time into crafting the story that I am unfolding. Currently the story is off to a great start and I am planning for a relatively short story because of the format it is written in but should have enough content that it will still be enjoyable to read.

And good luck to the others, especially the ones with the history prompts because those are the ones I will be looking forward to the most.

6 years ago

Christmas is approaching!

A perfect time to churn out a lot of words and pages so that I may finish this story in time!

Also my word count is insanely low because of the way I formatted the story. Since I am actually writing the story in a ballad, the word count is a measly 926 as of current. But hopefully in due time, the word count will be at least 3,000 to 5,000 in total which is terribly short for a CYOA but for a long ballad, I assume that it will be just enough.

Also as a note: I did not notice that I had to update twice a week and thought it said "Every two weeks". (I think I need my eyes checked.) Which is why that the first two posts are so far apart from each other. Oops. Well now I know.

6 years ago

Tackling the story by including the unknown And by doing so, I have to get creative. The main outline is done on a seperate document and trying to transfer ideas into a comprehensible story. Continuing to increase rate of writing when I have down time.

6 years ago

Oh boy, final week to do this! So basically I did squat over new year celebrations so now I have to pump out tons of words and tons of rhythmic stanzas. I will be lucky to finish in time.

6 years ago

How's the story coming along? :D

E: ballad :3

6 years ago

As of current, I will be using most if not all of my weekend time to finish up the ballad. So far, I have realized that the ballad will be short but nothing can be done about that because of the structure. Working with a genre I have never thought of writing for and writing in a format unfamiliar to me has been an interesting ride. The biggest regret I have is procrastinating over the days I had free time to do this only because I just hit a wall in the creative process while writing the ballad.

Horror is not a genre I would have ever dreamed of writing for because I usually avoid anything on the horror side. However, what I do enjoy is the psychological aspect behind what makes horror so terrific to see and read. By writing this, I am hoping that the ideas I included are able to instill a sense of horror into those who decide to read the ballad. (Especially since writing the ballad means I have to use more specific words and smaller phrases.)

Overall, I believe the ballad is doing decent and I aim to finish on Sunday but this time, not a couple seconds before the deadline (hopefully).

6 years ago

Mhm! Horror is also something I'm horribly unfamiliar with. I think many of the goals at this point is to just finish. ;-;

Anyhow, I hope you do finish sooner than a few seconds before the deadline with a good ballad! :D

6 years ago

Thank you and good luck, I hope that you are doing excellent in your entry and that you fare well with your writing.