Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Help Slashy Get Inspired!

6 years ago

So I'm feeling like making another attempt at writing a storygame. I have a couple ideas.

1. Finishing Hatred. I think some of you guys remember this one, dude kills his mother, his step-dad, fucks his step-dad with his own dick and feeds it to him. Good times.

2. A man gets sucked into either a series of movies or video games, and he tries to find a way out while navigating all of them.

3. A classic slasher game. Take on the role of a group of teens as you try not to (or try to) get killed by the masked villain.

4. Think Monster Squad, or maybe It but not as mature. A group of kids in the 80's fighting against monsters while trying to make it home in time for dinner with their families.

5. Some sort of monster love story. Probably a dark comedy.

6 years ago
#4 sounds fun. I think you should avoid the options that let you indulge in your natural inclinations to be edgy and emo. That was the old, embarrassing Slasher and it's good you've moved on.

6 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards #4 or #5, but I'm waiting for a few more opinions to roll in.

6 years ago
With #5 you could enter the contest.

6 years ago

What contest, exactly? I thought it was already over.

6 years ago

Well now that I've entered the contest, I need to decide if I want to make it a comedic dating sim with multiple monsters, or just focus on the one main vampire.

6 years ago
Digit seems to think by 'monsters' you mean 'monster girls' like the kind found in all his weeb fantasies. Please don't prove him right or I will regret helping you.

6 years ago

I mean monsters, probably all male, actually, with modern day twists to make it more comedic.

6 years ago
I mean maybe have one or two female ones, ya know, leave the options open..

6 years ago

Now that you mention it, a female mummy would be adorable.

6 years ago
End will appreciate that creative take on the MILF option.

6 years ago

Wait, yes. A busty, MILF mummy. One of the scenes is her gauze or whatever its called accidently unravels and you need to use toilet paper to fix it. Excellent.

6 years ago
""Accidentally"" unravels

6 years ago

A good MILF never reveals her secrets. ;)

6 years ago

And we learn what Slash's fetish is.

6 years ago

Bubble wrap is more fun than toilet paper. ;)

6 years ago

Good luck!  Monsters can be pretty fun.

6 years ago

Like Mizal, fond of 4. 5 sounds interesting as well, and seems you've decided on that by entering End's contest.

6 years ago

Great, the emo faggot joined the contest to grace us all with a story which apparently is going to have equally emo faggot vampires in it. Well write what you know I guess.

I don't expect much, but if the writing isn't as shitty as his rapping, it might be passable.

6 years ago

Lmao. It'll be just as edgy as I am, don't worry.

That's a joke. It'll probably be pretty tame. Comedic but still not really dabbling in mature territory.

6 years ago

Update: Working title is either I Chews You! or You're My Boo!

6 years ago

Those titles are ridiculous and stupid and cheesy as fuck. I love it.

6 years ago

My suggestion is to not do that. Both make me want to avoid the game entirely.

6 years ago

I think they sound cute.

6 years ago
You could always go for an obnoxious synonym, instead of the obnoxious pun.

6 years ago

They are cute.  But some people don't like cute.  I'm not sure that 'cute' is high on the list for a lot of readers here.  Then again, I could be wrong.  The most important thing is that you set the tone with your title.  If it's grand, then something grand works well.  If you want humor, you either have to tone it down, or make the grand so over the top that people will expect humor.  If you want something serious and down to earth, a more simplistic title usually suffices.  The tricky part is if different paths have a different feel to them.

That being said, it really doesn't matter what your title is until you hit publish.

6 years ago
Who hates cute?

Other than the bitter heartless cynic who rated the Christmas Kitten story a 1, anyway.

It's randomness that's the most likely to fall very, very flat as far as humor goes, usually because the authors seem to think that's the only thing needed to automatically make a story good.

6 years ago

Oh, yes.  Those games usually don't get much praise.

6 years ago

He did say they were working titles. As I said above, they're stupid, ridiculous, and cheesy as all hell titles, which I feel would work for a stupid, ridiculous, cheesy as all hell story. But then again, Slasher did say that the game was supposed to be a dark comedy, and a cutesy title? Not exactly dark comedy territory.

6 years ago

Well yeah, I think I've changed the idea from a dark comedy to just a comedy.

6 years ago
I mean if he's going for goofy and kind of cheesy humor in the story itself those are fine.

Whether goofy/cheesy humor itself would turn you away is another matter entirely but if that's the case then you'd WANT the title to warn you.

6 years ago

Ugh. Shaking my head.

Well the ONLY way I can spin this into a positive is, “I Chews You” sounds like a cannibalism theme, so maybe the monster ends up eating whoever it falls in love with afterwards.

Though that could go into a whole weird vore direction and people that want to be eaten are fucked up.

Which leaves "You’re My Boo”  which I'm guessing will have more of an emphasis on fucking ghosts which at least means a more wholesome necrophilia theme.

6 years ago
Well he did say dark comedy in the OP, I'm just not sure he knows what that means.

@Malkalack What was that vampire documentary you liked? Maybe Slasher could watch it for research.

6 years ago

Actually, thinking about it “I Chews You” could be zombies, so more wholesome necrophilia I guess.

Though not sure if Slasher would go in the Warm Bodies direction or the Deadgirl direction if that’s the case. Warm Bodies would be more "light hearted" dark comedy than Deadgirl even though they both qualify.

6 years ago

Would also work for werewolves.  That was actually my first thought.  Probably because I thought of chew toys.

6 years ago

I've decided to just make it a comedy instead of a dark comedy.

6 years ago

1 sounds like terrible, hyper-edgy bullshit, don't do it.

2 is the plot of fucking endless shitty fanfictions, don't do it.

3 is generic as shit, but could be fun if made well, I guess. It does, however, make me really want a game where you play as the actually slasher with like a really fucked up, not at all together perspective as you hunt down the othres.

4. Never heard of it, don't like it.

5. Eh, sounds boring.

6 years ago

Number 4 is just a group of kids that fight monsters, like Dracula and werewolves and shit.

6 years ago

Why? Like, Buffy the Vampire slayers, or caught up in a scheme and fighting back?

6 years ago

There's a group of kids in a monsters fan club that find out that Dracula and his goons are coming to their town to find some amulet that will help them control the world. I haven't seen it in a while but that's the basic plot.

6 years ago

It was basically the PG-13 rated version of the Goonies with the classic movie monsters.

6 years ago

This sounds awful, don't do that either.

6 years ago

I think it's more of the "cult-hit" factor type of movies. I take it you're not a fan of The Goonies?

6 years ago

I loved the Goonies.

6 years ago

Oh. What sounds awful about it, then?

6 years ago

Dracula trying to take over the world through an amulet, being defeated by a monsters fan club. All of it, really.

6 years ago

I think they somehow manage to get the wolf-man and Frankenstein's Monster on their side, so that helped a little. But I see what you're saying, considering that Dracula would be more powerful over a group of clichéd kids.

6 years ago

I think it sounds stupid, really. Not much more too it. It could be a really fun film, as Goonies sounds stupid, but I wouldn't trust your ability to make something as good, and I feel that if you're not doing it perfectly, it'll just kind of come out shit.

6 years ago

I'll let my writing decide if it's good or not. I'll keep working on my love story and we'll see how that turns out.

6 years ago

Not good enough, I'd say. Again, it's the kind of thing where it'd be really, really hard to write without making it stupid. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to succeed with something like that, personally. If you think you can, whatever, try.

Anyhow, best of luck with the love story.

6 years ago

That's true, but I think the stupidity is part of its charm.

Thanks, and to you as well with your future writing endeavors. 

6 years ago
That movie was fun and you're stupid.

6 years ago

Aight, good rebuttal.

6 years ago

It might be the case that you would have had to of been raised in the 80s to enjoy it. Monster Squad was not good because it was a good movie. It's just had some really funny lines in it that most people from the era will it instantly recognize.

6 years ago

What really classifies as a good movie?

6 years ago

That would be a better discussion for its own thread, IMO.

6 years ago

Short answer: good writing, good acting, good directing, good cinematography, good editing, good special effects.

Long answer: make a thread and I'll give you one, or at least my take on what a good movie is.