Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Should I publish this?

6 years ago

Alright, so I was learning to mess around with variables and some scripting.  And essentially I came out with a short (but full) mini-story of 608 words titles Eternal Combat.  It is kind of stupid since I never though I'd be publishing it, but would it be worth giving you all ten minutes of entertainment while earning the spite of the community?  

It really is crap and I would never publish anything with so few words, but since it's done and it was just a learning exercise I'm beginning to think "why not?"

Should I publish this?

6 years ago
Have you considered just...adding more words? Like as in putting descriptions on things or some kind of barebones plot?

We had a game that was just a combat demo up not too long ago and it just barely clung to life and managed to annoy a lot of people once it became clear the author wasn't interested in taking any of the advice that literally every comment was giving.

Should I publish this?

6 years ago

It's not that I'm not willing to write an actual story, I have a few planned out and one with over 30,000 words so far.  But like, I just kinda was wondering if I should post the shitty practice story.  But perhaps I shall add some kind of plot to it someday....now that you mention it.  Or I already have ideas to turn it into a completely different game.  So, I'll stop wasting people's time with questions about this short shit I had made.

Should I publish this?

6 years ago

Well, you yourself have said "It really is crap and I would never publish anything with so few words," so I'm inclined to agree with you. I can't say with certainty that I would think it was total "crap" myself if I read it, but if you aren't particularly proud of it, and already feel like you would "never" publish something with so few words, then there really isn't much need for the question. It sounds as though you've answered it.

That you've posed the question I'm not entirely certain you really feel that way about it, but if you do I would suggest just letting the story be put to rest as just what it was, experimentation with variables and scripting. The story isn't wasted never being published if you carry what you learned over into your next project. Something bigger, and better I imagine that you would hopefully feel more proud of.

Those are just my thoughts on it anyway. Whatever you decide, best of luck with it, and any projects you take up in the future.

Should I publish this?

6 years ago

Oh yes, it was a stepping stone for something far better.  But for whatever reason I saw it in my list of stories and wondered what else I should do with it.