Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

As many of you may already know, I’ve been working on a storygame for the past 15 months. It’s an attempt to teach my therapy techniques in a CYOA fantasy-adventure format.

Because it is pretty damn large (~100K words), I’ve decided to role out some samples so I can get feedback without it being too much of a burden.

I’ve rigged the game so that you can only play the introduction (~3500words).

On the ever-sage advice of Lady Mizal, an appetizer is being pasted below (along with a link to the gamebook).

I hope you like it! Any and all feedback is very appreciated!!

FullCover.jpg

Preface

You are Cabata ('Ka-Bah-Ta' for male, 'Ka-Bay-Ta' for female), the seventeen-year-old heir to the throne of Alluvia, descendant of a long line of sorcerer monarchs, waging battle against an insidious and tenacious power known as Fear Magic.

Items

You carry a Book of Lore and a Socratic Journal. Your decisions and experiences will unlock their pages. They will provide the theory and the therapy behind the quest. As such, these readings are optional.

Your Book of Lore already has one entry: a description of the five types of magic in Alluvia.

Scoring

Although you can retry certain sections of the quest, points are only awarded (and lost) the first time you view a particular page. Your performance with each form of magic, as well as your total score, will be displayed at the end of your journey. Your scores will influence the contents of seven true endings. 

A Word of Caution (especially for patients with panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder)

If reading any part of Cabata's Quest makes you feel even mildly anxious, then it's actually best to put the quest aside; and, if you are feeling motivated, try it again later. With repeated attempts, you should be able to get a little further in while remaining calm. If so, then you are using a form of Berserker Magic successfully on yourself.

-Play Cabata's Quest

Chapter 1: The Sky 

The only constellation you will find in the stars is the one you bring with you. 

-The Book of Constellations                    

-Next

A Fateful Sky

You gaze upon a fateful sky. It is the dusk of the Fear Bane.

Every two hundred years, a red comet approaches from the northern sky, inching its way towards the Dragos constellation.

Double Dragon Parchment Small.jpg

For a few moments, it becomes the dragon's eye. Granting him a fleeting glimpse of life.

At that instant, as far back as the histories of Alluvia have recorded, your bloodline has been stricken by the Fear Bane: a powerful spell releasing Fear Magic, overwhelming the minds of those in power, and casting the kingdom into shadow.

Powerless to prevent this curse, your parents have secluded themselves in a distant forest retreat, hoping to spare the populace of the madness that will surely befall them.

Now, from the highest point of your ancestral castle, you gaze alone upon the sky. Straining your eyes. Your pulse, quick. Unsure what the future will bring, for the Fear Bane is different every time.

-Continue

The Dusk of the Fear Bane

You stand atop a noble tower, the wind tugging at your hair, a glowing ancient tome in your hand, and a telescope at the parapet paying homage to the sky.

You hear the murmur of the people down below. They are apprehensive. You all are.

The wind turns colder. Biting your face. You pull your coat close to catch the warmth of your breath and watch as the red comet inches ever closer. It is almost time.

You are currently feeling moderate anxiety in your mind and body

How do you proceed?

-Use the telescope to search the sky.

-Use the telescope to scan the horizon.

-Search your Book of Lore

-Use Yoga Magic to calm down.

Cabata's Quest (game link)

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Just t tagging the people I ‘ve given some form of significant notes to so far: @mizal, @EbonVasilis, @ogre11, @EZunmaker, @corgi213, @chris113022. Please hook me up/return the favor! :”)

Also, thank you @WouldntItBeNice and @steve24833. Your notes have been very helpful!

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
Are you looking for feedback on what you posted here, the entire story in that link, or something else? What sort of feedback? Anything? Grammar and typos? Storyline? Or is this just for people to preview and peek?

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Ogre. At this point, looking for feedback on the game in the link (but, fyi, it's rigged so that only the introduction is playable... it ends at the second major branch point). 

No need for grammar/typos. This is probably 2-3rd draft (and polish/typo-fixing will come later). I suppose I want to know if the story is captivating/"well-written", and also if the therapy techniques ("logos" and "yoga magic") make some sort of sense so far. As the story progresses, more details are revealed... in the intro, I want it to seem like "magic" with at least a hint of these being real techniques. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy... "CBT"... (hence CaBaTa)... is what I am ultimately trying to teach as the story progresses.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

[Fixed]

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Help! xD

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Sounds pretty cool, will take a look at it.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Thanks, bro. :-)

Still needs a few more months of writing before I publish; but, at this point, any encouragement and guidance would be much appreciated!

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
I started looking this over ages ago when you first started posting, it had an impressive amount of work put in and I remember it looked promising although not terribly exciting. Although I'm obviously not the target audience.

I won't be around a computer much this weekend but I'll give it another look when I can.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
@BerkaZerka @Killa_Robot Is there an html tag broken somewhere in this thread?

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
my experienced guess is the video. try deleting the video embed post that contributes nothing to this thread anyways. even if it isn't the video nothing of value will be lost.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Nuts. Can't delete it. :-/

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
ninja - nvm

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

It's this message. There's an extra /div end tag and less importantly it's also wrapped in a redundant div class="body".

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago
Fixed it, Thank ya!

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Thanks for the help, guys. :-)

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Much obliged for any input, Mizal.

I'm thinking of broadening the audience... "stress management and communication skills" rather than "anxiety disorders treatment" per se. 

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

I'll be sure to give it a read and offer feedback when I've got the time.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Thanks, Chris. Looking forward to your thoughts. 

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

The astronomical element of the story reminds me a little of a fantasy story I wrote some years ago, although there was no supernatural element in the story I wrote. Maybe I should post it sometime. Interesting that the conflict here is psychological. 

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

Thanks for taking a look. Yeah, would be happy to check out your story. :)

With regards to the psychological elements, I actually published all my techniques for free online five years ago, but nobody does them/they still insist on seeing me. LOL I'm hoping a CYOA gets more investment from the reader/inspires them to try the techniques on their own a little more.

Cabata's Quest (Sample)

5 years ago

It may take a little while before I can post the story. The only form I have it in is a hard-copy. I wrote it on a refurbished computer that used Windows 98 and had floppy discs for information storage. My story is set in a quasi-African kingdom that was taken over thirty years previously by quasi-Mongolian barbarian warlord. The protagonist is a teenage girl who begins as a prostitute but becomes apprentice to the court astronomer who's compiling a new calender to prevent a  bloody revolution from taking place. The story's called "The Inevitable Corpse Season".  Your story doesn't seem as violent though. It's almost Buddhist in a way.  I'm going to have to start retyping my story from the paper copy so I can transfer it to my portable drive (not internet access at home).