Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Vain is an EPIC procrastinator !

5 years ago
I don't know if I'll actually be able to finish this, I've written stuff this long but it was not great (collapsed into a festering half-baked pile of shit after ~30k). But I'm gonna give it a go, so here's my first update. Enjoy <3

Plot: The island of Halolim is heating up (literally) and it’s a bit of an issue. See, this place is inhabited by talalgiya, giant lanky things with sharp teeth and dark eyes and a taste for humans - and they like the warmth. Most of the time on Halolim, winter lasts for most of the year and the talalgiya get only a short hunting period, but recently they’ve been awake for longer and longer. Airini, a ditzy teenager, and Basil, a guileless seventy something, have found themselves thrown into a race to find out what the fuck is going on, before humans become an endangered species.

Genre: Fantasy/horror (probably gonna be more tame gore-wise than my other angsty stories)

Setting: Halolim, an island suspiciously similar to Australia, except with, like, monsters and shit.

Main characters: At this point: Basil, the nice old man, gentlemanly and always polite. Airini, an arty, absent-minded teenage girl who just wants to chill out and not save the world right now.
Possibly: Nyree, the hermit lady who lives deep, deep down in the earth somewhere. Pania, the slightly irritating mermaid. Tui, the tricky forest warlock. Ruru, a boy with mysterious connections to the talalgiya, and his brother Anewa.

5 years ago
Who says Australia doesn't have monsters?

5 years ago
Our 'monsters' aren't quite entertaining enough as they are. But there may or may not be a few visitors from Australia-past, some of the big boys.

5 years ago
Gonna be disappointed if game contains no drop bears.

5 years ago
What is a drop bear?

5 years ago
Essentially a koala. Here's a description from the Australian Museum's website:
https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

5 years ago
I'll see your procrastination and raise you... something... later...

Good luck with the story, though!

5 years ago
So do you guys think it would be okay to... borrow a few greek gods? The story isn't in a greek setting I'd literally just be stealing them and mushing them into my universe. Should I not be lazy and create my own gods? The main one I've already made and she's original, but I'm thinking her kids could be stolen from the greek ones. idk.

5 years ago

Making your own gods would be best imo.

5 years ago
Okay, okay. Could they be inspired by greek gods? I think they'd end up pretty different, the similarities would just be things like 'oh he's the god of the forest' or something which is already pretty common, so it wouldn't be really stealing.

5 years ago

Yeah, inspired is fine. Copy pasting is what I don’t find fine. Unless the story is specifically about Greek Gods that is.

5 years ago

Just make Greek god knock offs, that's what the Romans did.

5 years ago

Knock offs are good too. So long as you don’t copy paste names word for word.

5 years ago
Okay guys: 626 words! Anyone have tips on how to not procrastinate and just GET SHIT DONE?
Also I worked out the gods thing, loosely inspired from greek shit but pretty original I think. They're the sort of humanised gods as well, with like flaws and anger and jealousy and stuff (not like the christian all powerful god cunt).

5 years ago

5 years ago
Alright, played it and won. Now what?

Vain is an EPIC prostitute!

5 years ago

Stop being a whore and write.

5 years ago
I'm not being a whore, I'm at school. 783 words!

5 years ago

I'd argue that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Congrats on making progress though.

As for general advice to curb procrastination, I know the big one is to shut out all external distractions (TV, internet, video games, etc) but that’s more difficult to do nowadays. Though music seems to be the exemption from external distraction and helps people. I guess drugs and alcohol helps others.

Personally, I think you just really have to focus and be enthusiastic about your story, otherwise you’ll burn out quickly on it. If you're not into your own writing every word will feel like a slog.

I guess do whatever you did that motivated you to write your other two stories on here, or even the short story you wrote recently.

5 years ago
I'm definitely enjoying my story, I think the biggest thing for me is just laziness and short attention span.
Deadlines motivate me the most I think. I'm trying to get 15k done by the 1st of July, hopefully I can still make that goal. I'm determined to actually finish this entry!!

5 years ago
I remember a girl got suspended for being a whore at school. Almost got expelled. Some people thought it was creepy, but they clearly lacked a sense of humor.

5 years ago
I'm at an all-girls school, so wouldn't be as many customers I think.

5 years ago
Now what? Well, if you rated it an 8, the magic will start to flow...

If you didn't, well, you just have to do the things in real life that you did in the game to win!

5 years ago

Just be like me and procrastinate until something snaps and you just type a bunch of words everyday.  Shut literally everything else out, thoughts, emotions, and just write.  

5 years ago
Okay so, little update:
Players now have the option to enter a custom name for one of the characters! Some names will impact the story to a minor degree, not gonna say which ones though - you gotta play for yourself and try to find out. I can still fit in a few more 'special' names, anyone have any suggestions? The first few I have are related to users on the site.
Anyway word count wise I still have a way to go, but I've got some solid background planning and shit.

5 years ago
Aight, 3k words and a bunch of pain in the ass scripting, including changes between male and female pronouns. I kinda regret having that option, cause its super annoying to have a bunch of variables for like she/he, her/he, his/hers, his/her, her/him, and capitalised versions of all these, then implementing them all into the story.
Anyway complaining over, story writing is going well and should have a bunch more words before the check in date on the first.

5 years ago
I don't know much about this shit, so I'm sorry if i'm wrong, but wouldn't you need only one variable? Just have one variable, Gender, and when you need to check for pronouns just do "If gender=1 then she, if gender=2 then he", except in code form of course.

5 years ago
Yeah, I've done that but I don't think one variable can change so many different options if that makes sense? At the moment I have a different variable for all the things I mentioned above, and then have to use a different code bit when I'm writing the base text.

Looks kinda crazy:
The only one they left was %%HERHIM%=%1%her%%%%HERHIM%=%2%him%%, I don’t know why. But %%SHEHE%=%1%she%%%%SHEHE%=%2%he%% looks like %%SHEHE%=%1%she%%%%SHEHE%=%2%he%% hasn’t been hurt, so I bought %%HERHIM%=%1%her%%%%HERHIM%=%2%him%% back here.”

5 years ago
A variable is just a number, you can make that number mean whatever you want. But hey, whatever method works for you. Good luck with the story, it looks very interesting so far. BTW, it's brought, not bought, bring not buy.

5 years ago
Oh yeah thanks haha

5 years ago

Honestly I'd say save yourself the hassle and genderlock it to female.

5 years ago
Doesn't really work with the custom name though :/

5 years ago
Sunday, July 1: Update #2 on story progress and any issues in the writing process:

Story is sitting at about 3k, far less than I had hoped for but with school over for a few weeks I should be able to get more words down. Going nicely so far but the scripting is annoying and will take some extra work to sort out. Still motivated to work on it, just haven't had the time, so hopefully I should be still on track to get a complete story in and actually enter the contest!!

5 years ago
Sunday, July 15: Update #3 on story progress and what you like most about your story so far

Story is progressing. Has changed a bit from the initial brief but I like where it's going. Enjoying the freedom to have the characters explore the world, provides a bit of relief from school work.

5 years ago
How's the word count coming along?

5 years ago
Sunday, August 5: Update #4 on story progress and what part of the story has been most difficult to tackle:
Have done absolutely nothing, difficult part has been writing. Thanks for listening.

5 years ago
If you wind up with more new STDs than words, I promise that @EndMaster will unlock a special achievement for you.

Running jokes are fun.

5 years ago

I might as well give her that achievement now then.

5 years ago
You have no faith!

5 years ago
How many STDs even exist? I don't think its physically possible to get more than 3000 of them? Sorry End, you'll have to save that achievement for someone else.

5 years ago
Huh.

I was kind of expecting a "challenge accepted."

5 years ago

Pfft, like that's going to stop me.

5 years ago
Fantastic achievement.

5 years ago
@EndMaster @mizal

I don't think your favorite Aussie is going to make it to the finish line.

5 years ago

I think Iavatus was Mizal's favorite Aussie. My favorite Aussie was probably Starky due to her leaving a few praising comments and was even briefly working on some "EndMaster quiz" which while odd, I cannot fault someone for showing such devotion.

But since she sort of disappeared and never had a big forum presence anyway, sure I suppose IBV is my current favorite Aussie.

Still, I'm not surprised by l'il bean's lack of writing discipline. If it was a whore contest she would have already run laps past everyone.

5 years ago
Maybe your next contest should have a tasteful brothel theme.

5 years ago
@Rattler is my new favorite Aussie. Just writing the rest of kangaroo land off completely, none of these people have staying power.

5 years ago

You mean that I am your favourite Aussie? How did you know that I'm Australian?

5 years ago
Miz, I am incredibly hurt. How could you do this to me. It's been four years,,

5 years ago
Hello everyone, I have lost all the progress I made on the story with the death of my beloved laptop (rip, 2012-2018). I will probably not be finishing this contest. Like if you cry every time

5 years ago
F

5 years ago
This is like that time Minnie totally for real accidentally deleted his entry. And he's languished in the SHAME pit ever since.

Well at least you still have your cozy cell with Ebon and Digit and any pubic lice the three of you have adopted and named. You'll all be in there for awhile.

5 years ago

Sadly, IBV's still the best Australia has to offer since the Crocodile Hunter got murked by a stingray.

5 years ago
I'm trying to get stuff back off the hard drive cause I lost a bunch of school stuff too. I guess I could just start again though, I'll still try to put forth something.