Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I'm Having a Conflict With Writing Conflicts :-(

5 years ago

I've been writing for years, but I only fairly recently discovered this site (I found it in late December 2017, but just logged on... for the first time today... since then). I have a solid idea for what I want to do for my story, but I'm unsure how to create a conflict. I really like "The Great Tournament," which you can get for free on the iTunes/Apple Store (do it, it's very worth it) and the whole aspect of Medieval times turned into a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-esque sort of thing. I write a lot of LGBT+ stories & such, and want to make a sort of "free-for-all" "date-whoever-you-want" story... but I don't have a whole plot. Just romance-y ideas. If anyone has any ideas, tips, or suggestions for how I could make an actually interesting plot, please tell me! Or... if you're interested in playing an almost "open-world" text game with no plot, tell me that as well, because I can surely write that option. Thanks, everyone <3 !

Also, good luck to everyone doing the EPIC contest! I'm 100% down to beta anyone's work :-)

5 years ago
If I were you, I'd start small. And if you just need complete ideas, you could try this.

5 years ago

thank you!!! :-)

5 years ago

Well if its a romance story, I would think most of the conflict could be in the form of love triangles or some disapproving parent/guardian etc.

Then there's always the case if you've got a bunch of gay/lesbian romance going on, you could just have some religious fanatics trying to put a stop to it.

5 years ago

true, true :-) thank you!

5 years ago
The bare basics for plot in a romance is having an obstacle to the romance. Either from someone or something else or one or both of them needing to work out their own issues first.

Of course that can be a little boring by itself so it's good to have at least something else going on aside from will they/won't they that makes for an interesting story in its own right.

5 years ago

yeah!!! thank you :-)