Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Show or Tell

5 years ago
This is a mild curiosity question I would be grateful for advice on regarding story-telling perspectives :)

Some folks say Third Person Narration is the way to roll, possibly a la carte GOT style from multiple perspectives, while others stress the importance of an individual's journey to do the stuff they need to get done, via stressful personal developments.

I am just interested in what style does everyone thinks works best for them? :)

Show or Tell

5 years ago
I like reading either one. However, when I read a book if there are half a dozen different perspectives, I quickly get lost and can't keep up with all of them. About three is the most vastly different perspectives and movement in the story that I like at once.

When I'm writing, I find that massively third-person with multiple perspectives gives me too many options. I think when I write that way it's like the wild west and I can write anything at any time, and that actually makes it harder for me to write. Instead, if I write closer in to first person and one individual, that gives me a lot more focus and makes it much easier for me to focus and continue with the story, even though I know other things are going on. I can keep track of those other things and then they show up only when the MC finds them! So I find the individual limiting, and I think that's great for me.

Show or Tell

5 years ago
For CYOAs it's traditional to keep the camera firmly lodged in the skull of just one character, but I've never minded third person or perspective switching, and sometimes it's necessary depending on the scope of the story you want to tell. Try to imagine Lord of the Rings without it for instance.

Different POVs is something I've always wanted to experiment around with as a writer, but of course if one character's actions can potentially effect another's that becomes a mess right out of the gate. The way you handled it in Mutiny with the characters all geographically separated from each other is probably the most sensible way to tackle that.