Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Western Mystery/Horror Story Beginning Ideas

5 years ago

Located where Jeff Davis County is today. Approx. time period is 1890s. Stuff gets real around the Davis Mountains (particularly the Sawtooths)

Theodore Reynolds: Snobby and afraid to get his hands dirty (figuratively and literally). Comes from a wealthy background somewhere in or around Maine. His parents were tired of him leaching off of them so they kicked him out and sent him west after Theo was informed they were hiring rookies down in Texas to catch a serial killer of some kind. Hoping to make a name for himself, he left not having any idea of what he was getting himself into. Gets flustered easily and stutters when he’s nervous. He spooks quickly. Terrible aim, can’t shoot a gun to save his life. He’s quick to anger and despises when people point out he’s flaws and weak spots. Hates when people call him Theo. Faint Maine/Canadian accent

Elizabeth Cavalier: Born in Montana, probably Ennis. Bounty Hunter that was drawn to the area with all the gossip and talk about the mysterious deaths and disappearances. Noticeable Texan/Tennessee accent. Never goes anywhere without her lucky hat and rifle. Probably 35-40 years old? Has constant bags under her eyes, very stoic. Never swears except when she’s really really pissed off. Total skeptic about folk tales and cryptids. Hates smoking and the smell of tobacco.

(WHAT WAS HIS FIRST NAME??????) Hopper: Has a horse named Fargo. Smokes like a chimney. Standoffish and crass, inwardly really soft and misses his deceased daughter. Disgruntled mentor to Theodore. About 50 years old. Superstitious (it’s obvious but he won’t admit it). Worked as a detective for 23 years. He prefers people call him by his first name, it makes him more comfortable. Heavy Texan accent.

This is just the stuff that popped into my mind and threw down onto a doc, so the it's kind of hard to follow. I did have planning sheet that I lost somehow that had some extra stuff, but who knows where that went. Feel free to reply with pointers or recommendations, this story is still very early in developement.

5 years ago

"Horse named Fargo."  8/8

I have nothing whatsoever against there being more Westerns.  Now, can the main character be bi or ace, or is xe only gay or straight?  Because I need to be able to identify with xir.  

5 years ago

Haha, I used to ride a horse named Fargo when I was little, so I had to throw him in there. I haven’t really gotten to character sexuality. Theo seems like a bi kind of guy, but probably very closeted. He is an idiot flirt and thinks pretty highly of himself. I’m sure he’d hit on a guy here or there in his frequent bar trips.