Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Seekers of the Imperial Seal

5 years ago

Making a motivation and info dump thread for my latest and greatest story, Seekers of the Imperial Seal. For those not in the Discord server or otherwise haven't heard me talk about it, this story is heavily inspired by the likes of Indiana Jones and Uncharted. Now, onto the story's official description!

Fill the eager shoes of rookie treasure hunter and thief Daniel Palmer, a would-be archeologist who has taken to traveling the world in search of the greatest lost treasures known to man. His latest adventure may be his greatest yet: finding the Heirloom Seal of the Realm, a jade seal passed down to the Emperors and Empresses of China before being lost in the 10th century. But with a rival treasure hunter backed by an army of Russian mercenaries on his tail, this latest adventure may turn out to be more than he bargained for!

I'll post in this thread with tidbits about my progress in the story. Planning on there being four chapters; the first, The Amber Room, will be the shortest of the three chapters that make up the bulk of the game and is more of a prologue, detailing the protagonist's discovery of the titular Amber Room and being more akin to the introduction scenes from the first three Indiana Jones films detailing a separate adventure detached from the main plot. The second, Hunt For The Seal, will make up the bulk of the story and be about tracking down clues to the Imperial Seal's location. The third chapter (the title of which is a major spoiler) will involve the protagonist and his allies finally uncovering the Seal. And last but not least, the last chapter will simply be an Epilogue.

Expect me to turn on Sneak Preview once the Amber Room chapter is finished, essentially letting people read that chapter as a demo. Once players reach the end of that chapter, there won't be any links to continue. When the majority of the story is written I'll end up turning sneak preview off in order to proofread it.

Anyhow, that's all for now.

5 years ago
I remember you talking about this before and it always seemed like a cool idea. Indiana Jones-ish adventure should be enjoyed by any right thinking human being and I could see how it would fit your style so good luck with this, looking forward to that first chapter.

5 years ago

Fuck it, turned sneak preview on anyway. Anyone bothering to read this can keep watch on it as I update it. Not much now, just five pages (seven counting a swanky title page and a currently blank page), but there's obviously more to be added. I'm even going to go back on the demo idea and will just let people read the story as normal as I continue to work on it. Enjoy, folks.

5 years ago

I read what you have down so far, and I enjoyed it. I think the not having a backstory fits in well with this kind of story. Honestly, upon reading the first page, I thought that it was like a better written “The Mule” or even “The Mule 2” by DinoFever. You can’t imagine my relief when I realized it wasn’t even close to being related.

5 years ago

Not sure why my story would be related to two stories I haven't read by a guy I've never heard of, but hey, at least you enjoyed it.

5 years ago

Read the story and really enjoyed it! I found it quite intriguing, especially the fight scene. Not many people can write good fight scenes but you nailed it. It was also funny, I liked the little story about marrying a donkey. One thing I found a little bit odd was the huge sum of money you pay to the Fox, when she admits that it was easy and Daniel could have done it himself. Wouldn't he have tried himself first before going into through the trouble of finding the Fox? Also, does the Fox have short boy-length hair? It seems unlikely that Daniel would have tapped her on the shoulder otherwise. 

I'm excited to read what's to come, good luck! 

P.S On the 'Disco smackdown' page you said 'clugoer' which I assume is a typo and meant to be clubgoer? 

5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I should probably cut down on the money a bit, maybe just a few thousand euros and a much smaller cut of the treasure, but the Fox's comment on him being able to do it himself was meant to both illustrate how new Daniel is to this whole thing, and also her own cockiness in her abilities. I also should probably include a throwaway line about the figure that Daniel spotted having short hair, thanks for suggesting that.

And yeah, that's a typo. Thanks for pointing it out, especially considering that while reading to find it I also came across another error.

5 years ago
People with long hair have shoulders too...

5 years ago

Think Ghost was just asking why he'd approach someone who looks like a woman when he thought he was looking for a man, lol.

5 years ago
Fair enough.

5 years ago
Lies. Their hair grows directly into arms.

5 years ago
it's really good can't wait to read the finished project

5 years ago

Not sure if this is sarcasm or Ford being actually genuine for once.

5 years ago
Genuine. Though now the question is whether to believe me regardless; I say take the positive road.

5 years ago

Think I'll listen to your suggestion. Thanks, Ford.

5 years ago

The way these guys are acting, you wouldn't be surprised if they were lobotomized or something. 

He stumbles backwards, placing a hand on his bruising cheek, before glaring at you and punching you as well. The force sends you onto the ground, but thankfully Beard lost his grip on you on the trip down. You pick yourself up, only to duck back down as the guy you punched throws a haymaker at you. His punch hits another clubgoer, which starts a chain reaction that soon results in the entire club fighting.

Two of my favorite lines so far, very clever and funny!

"finding the remains of more German remains along the way" This could probably just be changed to "finding the remains of more Germans along the way, it's a little bit redundant as is. 

Any ways, this looks great so far and I can't wait to see the final product!

5 years ago

The line about the german remains was a mistake, yeah. Gonna fix that up when I get back to writing this.

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed it Corgi.

5 years ago

Took longer than I was expecting, but chapter one is now finished. I already mentioned in the Discord that I had written another page recently, and today I finally finished the last two pages and wrapped it up, introducing the main antagonist in the process. I'll be continuing work soon enough, but for now, enjoy the first chapter.

5 years ago
Awesome, glad it's going well. You've probably done more writing this past week than I have.