Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Tips

5 years ago

Hi. I’m fairly new to this site, and I’m looking to write a story on here. I was just curious if anybody could provide me any tips on writing games on CYS. I want to make sure my first story isn’t a complete load of garbage.

Tips

5 years ago

One of the best things you can do is to read a variety of storygames, making sure to read the top stories, to get an idea of both expectations and what you like in a CYOA.  

Be sure to take your time too.  I doubt anyone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to publish as soon as possible.

Tips

5 years ago

Thanks!

Tips

5 years ago
Aim small. The number one reason people fail here is they start of thinking they're going to make some grand epic with near infinite choices.

Think of a nice small plot, and then have it branch off in different sections to have different outcomes.

Also don't suck.

Tips

5 years ago

Ok. I’ll stay small (and do my best not to suck).

Tips

5 years ago
First thing is to make sure you pick a plot you know you'll enjoy writing out. CYOAs can be a lot of work, usually more than people just starting out expect, and so you need a topic that will keep you interested the whole way. Seconding what Killa said about starting small, you'll be surprised at how much even a simple scenario can branch out. A lot of people seem to plan these big yet vague epics like leading an army of a kingdom at war and whatnot, or go into exhaustive detail on their settings without really considering how they'll handle actually getting the characters from point to point while including choices on the way. Meanwhile there are a thousand smaller, more personal stories that are probably more interesting too that could be told using those kinds of scenarios just as a backdrop. Remember too that you're not in any rush. Keep the quality consistent, polish and proofread, check in here for feedback every now and then, and basically just try to make your first story a complete one you can be proud of.

Tips

5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind when writing. :D