Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

I had an idea for a contest. The premise is that participants will have to write a CYOA with 5k or 10k words (haven’t decided yet). A challenge to be sure but nothing a writer couldn’t finish by sitting down and working over a few weeks on. The catch is you get 48 hours to do it. So basically there will be a lot of stress and human suffering and End will enjoy it. I’m not sure really how to “do” contests (plus I’m a little shit that just joined so no one would participate anyways) and I’m not sure if anyone else wants to do it so this will probably be left to rot like many other horrible ideas. Anyway, that’s my contribution towards the inevitable demise of all things living. 

Contest Idea

4 years ago

No.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
Let Corgi do one contest and now every noob crawling out of the drainpipe wants to do the same.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

Ah but I’m not crawling out of a drainpipe, I’m crawling out from a cardboard box in the middle of a rancid pile of couches and discarded fecal matter.

By the way, when was Corgi’s contest?

Contest Idea

4 years ago
It ended April 15, I think.
Then I won.
You should go read my story.
It will help you run your contest.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

Oh yeah. Sir Osis. I really liked that story. 

Contest Idea

4 years ago

Yeah, you loved it so much I recall you wrote a poem about it. 

Contest Idea

4 years ago
As much fun as it sounds to start a self-imposed 48 hour doomsday device, I think the result would be a bunch of half-assed stories published to the site in order to avoid SHAME. I can only think of a handful of people that would actually publish something worthwhile (Bucky, Ogre, miz, etc.). I might be interested in taking part if it was for a "short" story instead. Something like a longer version of the 50 word story thread with a two day deadline. Making it exactly a certain amount of words in the 5-10k range could be fun.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
Call it a writing 'challenge' instead of a contest and don't expect any admin involvement that isn't based purely on mood and whims at the time of the deadline and you guys can do whatever if you can get enough interest in a thread.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m probably gonna do a 1k short story challenge that people have to do in 48 hours, if anyone actually joins, that is.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
Some people already do this at normal contests anyway, just procrastinating until the last minute, then shitting something out. I don't think it's something we should encourage even more.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
That felt personal. :(

Contest Idea

4 years ago
It wasn't. I was just making a general remark, not about anybody in particular. Although, if you do find yourself in that description, perhaps you might have a tiny problem to solve ... But unlike most other authors who procrastinate until the last minute, you at least can usually make a decently enjoyable story.
Don't worry though. If I ever decide to specifically insult your writing abilities again, I'll make it clear. :)

Contest Idea

4 years ago

I think its a cool idea besides the 48 hours part that is a lot of stress and pressure and I don't know how you would keep track of the time. I think 72 hours is cool if you can manage the time the people use to write there CYOA. I would participate and I'm willing to participate in any contest or writing challenge you got.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
Two days = 48 hours. I don't think it's as complicated as you make it out to be.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

It would stress full for me to pump out because when I right I take my sweet time believe me.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
Wow. Was that writing?

Contest Idea

4 years ago
I feel like we need the word coroner to dissect this corpse of a statement.

@MrTrickyC We need some translating here. It will be harder than your other missions, this is Fisted Dave after all. I believe in you soldier.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

I think this message belongs in r/ihadastroke.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

It seems like one of the major recurring issues on this site (not that I'm speaking from any deep experience, since I've only been here a month myself) is that too many people are publishing stories with very little effort invested. Just look at the "New Storygame" page, and consider all the stuff that gets unpublished after a day or two because it's crap.

So rather than creating a contest to inspire people to contribute more crap, wouldn't it be more interesting to create a contest that motivates people to contribute something more noteworthy? Perhaps a summer-long contest with a September 1st deadline, inspiring writers to contribute something a bit more epic. Rather than 2 or 3 days, the participants would have 2 or 3 months to dazzle us with their talents.

Just my $0.02.

Contest Idea

4 years ago
We just had two years of back to back multi-month contests, we're all taking a break right now. I've mentioned before I'm planning to run a one month one in July as a quick and easy way for previous failures to get unSHAMED even though as usual it'll probably end with more people getting tossed in the pit than let out of it. It's entirely possible to write a decent storygame over a weekend though, I'm something of an expert on this subject.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

1. Lurkinator isn’t important enough to hold a proper contest. If he wants to hold some forum thing in the CC then fine.

2. Proper contests that go on for more than two month generally produce even less results than shorter ones for whatever reason. Bucky’s last long ass summer contest didn’t do that well.

3. Fisted Dave is a faggot.

Contest Idea

4 years ago

Thanks, i would respond back but the one thing I have learned from reading forums is that Admins have all power.