Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Need Help in Writing Story

4 years ago

My idea was a apocalyptic story with a setting similar to Sunset Overdrive (description below) or the Resident Evil (movie) scenario.

The story starts with a group of survivors in a government camp sitting around a campfire, one of the people in the bunch ask the others how they ended here, after that you the player gets to choose a character to go through their story and play out their story until ending in the camp and moving to the next person. Choices made in those stories impact the outcomes later on, as the stories have a cause and effect.

Background: Sunset Overdrive is an action-adventure shooter game set in a post-apocalyptic setting where the carbonated drink manufacturer of the city, FizzCo, has released its energy drink that turns anyone who drinks it into mutants. So for the story, I wanted it to have a similar scenario where yeah its an apocalypse, people are dying and shit , but i don't want it to be depressive (all the time). I want the characters to be more like a character from Left for Dead or Dead Rising rather than the Walking Dead. You Know?

Im not trying to be picky but im trying be descriptive of my idea. So im looking for someone that is interested and can invest time into this and not leave me hanging. I also had in mind to add art to the story, so if you happen to also be an artist like myself (not saying im good) or can draw or whatever, then that would help a lot. The art can be discussed about later on.

Thankyou for reading this to the end

4 years ago
@chanbot will he glad to help as anyone.

4 years ago
the fuck

4 years ago

Good writing is a lot of work; ideas are free and easy.  Very few people, and even fewer skilled writers, want to take someone else's idea (especially someone they just "met" on the internet) and write their idea for them.  It's just not going to happen in the vast majority of cases.

If you want your story written, you write it.  You care about your idea more--much more--than anyone else.  To you it is an interesting canvas, because it's in your imagination.  To everyone else it sounds like you are saying you want someone else to do your work for you.

4 years ago

I just noticed that my text came off as if I was asking someone to write my story, but im looking to see if anybody is interested in working together to create a story out of this idea.

4 years ago

No, I knew what you were asking.

4 years ago
So are you asking someone to write a story for you to read? That's what it sounds like you're doing, but I just want to be clear on this one.

4 years ago

No im not asking for someone to write my story, just like it says in the title i need help in writing my story. The description of my idea is just there for anybody that might be interested, if they are into apocalyptic stories and stuff. I mean I open to changing things in the story, but for sure I would like it to be apocalyptic.

4 years ago
The description sounds like it could be interesting, but yes, what Gower said. We get a lot of threads like this from newbies, but most people are working on their own projects and not willing to drop that to work on someone else's, especially with all the uncertainties involved with co authoring.

You're welcome to post writing excerpts ot link your story here for feedback as you progress, or let us know if you have specific plot questions or need advice, and you'd probably get better results that way. Once you're finished or at least have written a significant chunk of the story I'm sure someone would be willing to help out with editing and proofreading as well. (If you actually co author then to do this, just make sure it's someone you trust to have freedom to make changes to your story.)

4 years ago
Hmmm... okay, "help" implies that you've got something and you need another person to assist. So, other than what you have in your OP, what do you have? Do you have pages? Do you have chapters? Are there characters outlined? Do you have plots and alternate plots for the story to follow? Do you have key points? Do you have an idea for the build-up and the climax? My suggestion, if you have any of these, is to post them for ideas and feedback. Many people here will be glad to comment on your ideas and give you feedback on whether they like your writing and ideas or not. If you don't have any of those things, then it really does sound like you just want someone to write a story for you to read (which is fine, but good luck finding someone to do that. As Gower pointed out, most writers already have more ideas than stories).

4 years ago
He needs the list you just gave him and by the time he gets through that he won't need help anymore.

4 years ago

Well i guess ill continue working on it until i have enough of it done to post for feedback. Thx though

4 years ago
In case it helps, here is what I use to start developing a character for a story: Name: Tom Forsyth Age: 24 Job: Graduate Student / Teaching Assistant Ethnicity: White Appearance: Geeky and athletic Residence: Dorm room at the college Pets: None Religion: Christian Hobbies: Research, collecting ancient artifacts, reading Single or married? Single Children? No Temperament: Classic nice guy Favorite color: Blue Friends: Few close Favorite foods: Pizza Drinking patterns: Flavored water (all the time) Phobias: Heights Faults: Spends so much time on research, ignores the world Something hated: Lazy people Secrets: Strong memories: Riding bikes as a kid Any illnesses: No Nervous gestures: scratches his ear when nervous Sleep patterns: very little, just a few hours a night are enough Imagining all these details will help you get to know your character, but your reader probably won’t need to know much more than the most important things in four areas: Appearance. Gives your reader a visual understanding of the character. Action. Show the reader what kind of person your character is, by describing actions rather than simply listing adjectives. Speech. Develop the character as a person — don’t merely have your character announce important plot details. Thought. Bring the reader into your character’s mind, to show them your character’s unexpressed memories, fears, and hopes. The archaeology student: The character’s name: Tom Forsyth A one-sentence summary of the character’s storyline: Tom wants to find the lost artifact to preserve it for the greater good of humanity and prevent Steve from using it for evil. The character’s motivation (what does he/she want abstractly?): To discover and advance knowledge for good. The character’s goal (what does he/she want concretely?): To obtain the ancient artifact before the Steve gets it. The character’s conflict (what prevents him/her from reaching this goal?): Steve. He is also “just a grad student,” and nowhere near good enough to go on real trips for real discovery. The character’s epiphany (what will he/she learn, how will he/she change?: He is good enough to beat a master archaeologist and thief in the form of Steve and will be welcomed into the ranks of archaeology. A one-paragraph summary of the character’s storyline: