Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

The Settlement to the North. Derprussen's progress

4 years ago

I've selected Bucky's tenth option as a writing prompt.

The younger son of a minor noble rallies coin and followers for his venture. His goal? Flee from the kingdom and construct a castle on the shores of the mineral rich unclaimed frozen wastes in the far North.

I've already started character concepts, some pre story history, culture concepts, and began planning the start of the story branching. I also got excited and started writing the first page.

4 years ago
Good luck. I really liked the look of this prompt but at the same time it definitely can't be done as a small game.

4 years ago
It'll take a lot of work to pull off in just over a month, but I was really hoping someone would give it a try.

4 years ago

I'm two pages in. Made some more progress on the outline. Bit more pre game history.

4 years ago
I encourage you to post an excerpt in the Doctor thread and ask some questions. I took a peek at what you had, and I thought it had a lot of potential. The writing wasn't bad but a few pointers will really help polish it and take it to the next level.

4 years ago
Good luck, this was my second choice for a prompt

4 years ago
I'll be filing away this and many other prompts for possible later use, right next to the ones from last time.

4 years ago
Still waiting on the list of prompts you plan on squirreling away (that's a nicer way of implying stealing) ^_^

It's okay. I'm incorporating aspects of several of them into the thing I should not be doing.

4 years ago

Dec 6th outside of a few corrections, I have made no progress.

4 years ago
Such sorrow. Someone get the pointy stick of inspiration. Who had it last?

4 years ago
I thought it was a fire poker; then I burned it.

4 years ago

It's been more of a series of busy work days, followed by the next step being to learn a bit more about punctuation. Telling a story is fun, and I'd like to do that in my spare time. Learning Grammar is not fun and isn't the first thing I want to do with my hour or two of free time at the end of the day.

4 years ago

Dec 8th, A few corrections. No other progress to report.

4 years ago

Dec 14th. Written a few pages, made some corrections. Getting close to a few of the early endings.

4 years ago

Dec 17th. Wrote a page.

4 years ago

Dec 21st. Hardware issues. Got them resolved. Wrote a page.

4 years ago

Dec 25th. Merry Christmas. I finished procrastinating, which was promptly followed by a hardware issue. Once the hardware issue was solved, a loss of internet access occurred. Then a major holiday. I've written one page so far this week and it was one of the more frustrating pages I've written since I joined the site.

4 years ago
Why do you need the internet to write?

4 years ago

Cause I'm a dummy that stuggles with getting a writing program on my computer that doesn't go wonky as soon as I copy paste to the actual site. So against all recomendations I just write it directly on the site.

4 years ago
You need to turn the RTE off before copy pasting stuff in to keep it from being weird.

4 years ago

Finished one of the three planned epilogues. Completed one of the two major branches.

One day left to finish it.

4 years ago

January 3rd, 2020

Done. I wish I put a bit more work into it, but it is what it is now.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-northern-settlement