Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Two Worlds, One Planet (Contest)

4 years ago

My story is probably going be about to star-crossed lovers who are yet to find each other. And Obviously by the title they live on opposite sides of the earth in the year 2375, where it has been tidally locked. 

4 years ago
You might want to do some research or deep thinking on where exactly these two star-crossed lovers are - on this opposite side of the Earth thing.

I think the most logical place for them to be - would be on opposite sides of the Earth - near the fringe zone between the hot and cold side of the planet. That's probably the most plausible place where the temperature wouldn't be wonky that they'd need special housing or clothing. Of course, you could try sticking them on opposite sides facing the sun and facing away - but then I"m pretty sure you would need special housing and clothing because of the temperature differences. Of course, I'm not sure how hot/cold the two sides would be, but it'd be substantially different.

@Mizal might be a good science fiction nerd for this.

4 years ago

Yep there near the fringe zone. Where isn't extremely cold or extremely hot. They have a certain gene that renders their body unruffled by the weather (They still feel the cold or heat to certain extremes. But it doesn't affect their bodies). Most of the population without this gene dies out. And I have planned three endings in which they enter a society of Gene-X'rs

4 years ago
Tidally locked by what?

4 years ago

I'm thinking of it being by the byproducts of a war between unknown creatures. I'll probably keep it very vague so that if the story ends up really well, I'll be able to make a sequel.

4 years ago
It's your story, and personally, I don't really care what is tidally locking Earth.

I wasn't actually expecting someone to use Earth, but I'm fine with that. You can hand-wave it for all I care; I cannot speak for other judges though. But I guess if you're using Earth, I'd have expected ... yadda, yadda, space stuff, sun itself is tidally locking Earth, yadda, yadda, science. Heck, it could be an alternate history, and Earth was always tidally locked.

Roll with whatever you want here.

Out of curiosity, do you see this as a sci-fi or a romance?

4 years ago

I see this as a story in the Romance section. I also see it as a Serious story because it will symbolize real-life issues. Let's just say the planet their on doesn't really matter.

4 years ago
I'm fine with the romance angle (and it can dominate), but if none of the consequences of living on a tidally locked planet are incorporated into the plot, I'll have no choice but to deem the story (no matter how well written) outside the scope of the prompt. By this I mean, if the story could happen on normal Earth and be no different, then that's an issue.

A simple way to incorporate this would be travel and distance challenges (and any obstacles on the very limited route of travel).

4 years ago

The way I'm incorporating the effects of a Tidally Locked planet is the creatures and animals that live there. The challenges they will face meeting each other how the isolation from humanity effects them.

4 years ago
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I guess that sounds interesting. I have a feeling this will be a unique read.

Good luck.

4 years ago

I'm thinking of making the story a two-person perspective story. So it will change from character to character. Which will allow the reader to see the effect of each side of the planet.

Do you think that would work? If so will I have to disregard the traditional 2nd person CYOA format and use third person omniscient?

4 years ago
It could work. But it leads me to ask - are these people ever going to actually meet, have they ever actually met, do they try to meet (if not, on multiple levels why?), and how do they know each other if they never met?

You could stick with the 2nd person format. Just make it clear who we are on any given page (e.g. via headline), and don't randomly switch people in the middle of a scene.

4 years ago

Yes, these two people will meet (That is basically guaranteed in the story.). They have never met before this. They will not try to meet the entire thing will be a big fiasco, which results in them accidentally meeting each other

4 years ago
Accidents can be fun. I know a few people who have told me that their entire existence was an accident!

4 years ago

Sound's like my generation in a nutshell.

4 years ago

How to turn off RTE?

4 years ago
My Stuff -> Profile -> Toggle RTE box under Preferences

4 years ago

thanks

4 years ago

My first update of progress for this week: I've reached 1,000 words.

4 years ago

W1UP2:

Written 3k

4 years ago
Solid start.

4 years ago

Thanks!

4 years ago
Your banishment has disappointed me. If you drag an alt into this thread, I expect an explanation.

4 years ago

So now that I am not going to have this story to educate me... what exactly is a tidally locked planet?

4 years ago
When a planet always has the same face toward whatever object it is orbiting. Typically, this will mean one side of the planet is very hot and the other very cold. If lucky, you might have a fringe zone in between which could support life.

See generally Wikipedia: Tidal locking

4 years ago

By this definition, the Moon is tidally locked to the Earth.

4 years ago
Correct.

4 years ago

Yes, the moon is. :) Most? Tidally locked planets would be around red dwarf stars though, I don't think our sun would work. It looks like Dave planned to handwave it away with aliens.

This is the prompt I would have picked if I wasn't already working on a story with a tidally locked planet. (Earth settles a distant planet but the colony splits, and a thousand years later the two groups above and below ground mostly think the other is a myth.

4 years ago
Yeah, I was expecting something more like this when I made the prompt.

4 years ago
Is that you @DaveTator ?

4 years ago

Yes, my post is in the Year's end contest. Although I don't know if I should make a whole entire thread.

4 years ago

Yeah, they made a new thread.

4 years ago
Well, the gods have spoken. All forms of Dave has been shot into space with a cannon. Two entrants banned and over 3 weeks of contest to go ...