Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I'm just here so I won't get fined (contest)

4 years ago
Choice: Create a children's fable. I picked this topic because it felt pretty open-ended, not to mention I discovered the contest thread late. I'm still discovering a direction to take the story. Most of the examples of children's fables online are really short (like a paragraph long). Due to the storygame branching format, I think it'd be difficult to create an interactive fable. Sure, I could write a story with a few anthropomorphized rabbits and slap a moral to the ending, but I don't think that would be fun for me or for the reader. So, I'm leaning more towards a conversation between an adolescent and mentor. The reader's choices will lead to several topical fables sprinkled throughout the dialogue as well as discovering the relationship between the two main characters. It'll go something like this... It breaks my heart to find you here. I used to be like you, searching for answers that seem on the verge of grasping. I would stretch my arm out, desperately, for anything stable to calm the chaos – even a false truth would have satisfied me as long as it gave me a shred of purpose. And yet I find you here: uncertain of your life and the direction it’s heading. Maybe that’s what caused you to do what you did. Shame, really. You didn’t follow the example set before you. If I’m being honest, I wouldn’t – I didn’t – either. How much wisdom can you expect from someone of your spot in life? No, ultimately, only you know why you do the things you do. What’s that? God? Yes, perhaps we’re all pre-destined to act in accordance with our nature based on a supremely divine, omniscient being. After all, no one blames an untrained puppy for peeing on the floor. It’s their nature to act impulsively before being taught how to conduct themselves. And that’s why you’re here. You lack guidance. You lack a proper teacher. You lack the meaning of life. As fables are used to teach life lessons, I'm going for somewhat of a philosophical, introspective approach in order to give the fables a better platform and setting. I'm finding that adding a page to Mizal's Rift Station: Open Worlds is a fun distraction to keep the words flowing when the contest piece hits a road block...just an idea for my fellow contestants.

4 years ago

I think you have a difficult task, but I like what you started. It seems to me like the "adolescent" did something wrong and you are about to tell a fable based on what it was. I am not sure if that is the direction you were going, but it would be a cool way to build in choices. One thing I noticed is that the language seems more advanced than I would expect when talking to a young child. Although, I have no idea what age "child" the fable is for.

Also you reminded me I am meaning to add to Mizal's story!

4 years ago
Thanks. Yeah, I was going to incorporate a discoverable backstory into it showing how the adolescent and mentor meet. I'm imagining the adolescent to be early teens. That's still a child to me. You should. Feel free to use any of my links too. I'm keeping all my pages open for contributions.

4 years ago

Early teen makes more sense with your story so far, with the more advance vocabulary and moral expectations. I guess when I think "children's fable" I think younger kids like a 6-year old. A teen children's fable will be easier to make into a complex story that is also entertaining for the readers here though.

And I will, eventually. I love to concept and setup! My writing time is currently very limited, so I prioritize contest writing over It though.

4 years ago
That's fine. When I think CYOA fit for children, I think of End's Imagination. There's another good one for kids called Lilly of the Forest - or something like that, in the fantasy section.

4 years ago
Oh this was supposed to be updated twice a week? I thought it was twice a month...hopefully Bucky buys that. Well, this has by far been the hardest contest for me (4th this year). At least I'm getting to use my other WIP for productive procrastination. I should finish everything on time, if not a little early.

4 years ago

As a big fan of your work, I can't wait to read whatever you come up with.  This ends your encouragement for the day.