Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Big ol' blocks of text

4 years ago

At what point does a piece become too long (or dense I suppose) to be engaging for you guys? I'm working on something and each 'page' is coming out to far more paragraphs than I see on the average storygame here, but there aren't as many pages as something like Endmaster's games. Because of this, it's a lot of reading for few choices and I just wanted to see if it was even worth the writing before I churn out more pages, haha. 

Big ol' blocks of text

4 years ago

Send one of the pages and I'll tell you if it's too long before each choice. If there really are too many words then you could always split it up into multiple pages. However, it should be fine as long as the text is spaced out in paragraphs (and not just one big block).

Big ol' blocks of text

4 years ago
If the writing is good enough, no one will care. See EndMaster Stuff.

Big ol' blocks of text

4 years ago
The max suggested length that seems to get settled on whenever this comes up is around 1000 words per page. Not that it's a strict guideline, but when I got 1200 or so it's like whoops better find a good point to split this or find some place else to shove some of this info.

Much longer than that without anything to break up the pages and nothing to choose starts being a bit much even on a computer, and you've got to keep in mind lots of people read these on mobile.

Also just from observation, long ass first pages seem to show more people clicking and noping out before they rate, while if you hook them first and sort of build up to the text walls they're more likely to stick it out once they're invested in what they're reading.

Big ol' blocks of text

4 years ago

You mind if I post the first page here and see if it's interesting enough to keep up with?