Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

First Page of a Superhero Game I Shouldn't Start

4 years ago

I had an idea poking around in my mind despite not having time for it. I wrote what might eventually be the first page of a superhero game and figured I would post it here for fun. Thoughts and feedback are always appreciated (positive or neative). I did this quickly and had some other origin ideas for this (or a similar) character. I guess let me know if you find the idea intriguing or revolting.

The demon stands in front of Thomas, short horns protruding from his scarred face, red eyes glowing, skin covered in spikes and scales. Thomas turns away from the grotesque figure in the mirror disgusted with what he has become. His pointed tail sweeps the personal effects from his former life off the dresser; a picture frame containing the image of a short, skinny kid with pain brown hair and eyes shatters on the ground.

Why me? Thomas thinks to himself. How could this happen?

It all started earlier in the day, when he was returning home from a youth bible study after church. Learning that God has greater plans for his life was inspiring, and he felt compelled help more people. Volunteering with his friends seemed like a good start at the time. Unfortunately, that meant a trip to the soup kitchen in the slums. Rage boils the blood in Thomas’ veins just thinking about it.

Everyone he went to the kitchen with is dead now. Killed by a madman possessed by a demon. They were all slaughtered in front of him, but Thomas was spared.

“You will do nicely, this body is a little… old,” the man had said, before dropping to the ground in front of Thomas.

A black toad crawled out of the man’s mouth, latching on to Thomas’ leg. He could still feel the vile amphibian crawling on his skin. Since he was frozen in terror, he was unable to stop the demon from entering his body. His screams were an invitation for the creature to crawl inside.

After that, Thomas transformed into the monstrosity haunting him from the mirror. Voices whisper inside of his head, speaking of committing terrible acts. So far, Thomas has been able to resist the temptation to do anything wicked. Still, he can’t make the voices stop.

“You can just give up,” the sinister voice says with a cackle. “Everyone’s soul eventually gets corrupted, so why bother fighting?”

“You can’t make me do anything,” Thomas replies to the inner voice.

“Perhaps not now. Your resistance to my influences is rather impressive, but how long can you remain in control?”

“Until I am able to get rid of you.”

“Oh, how exactly do you plan to do that?”

“I…” Thomas thinks for a moment, trying to come up with an idea that will help. “I will go to the church!”

“HA! You were with your church group when I first met you, were you not?” The demon continues when Thomas remains silent. “I thought so. We might as well get acquainted! My name is Baal, what is yours?”

“Why are you doing this to me?”

“Well, Thomas, I need a body to interact with this world physically, and you were awfully available!”

“So, you can take over anyone, at any time, and you choose me out of convenience?”

“You flatter me, Thomas! I can only take over those with a weak spirit. Yours is stronger than your frail body implies; otherwise, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Regardless, once your mind is corrupted and spirit is broken, I will regain control.”

“I liked my body… now I look like a monster.”

“Give me control of the body then! I like it, and you won’t have to deal with it once your consciousness fades!”

“That will never happen, get out of my mind!”

“Do you really think I will leave just because you ask?”

Thomas screams in frustration, punching a hole in the wall above his bed. His fist slams through the wall as if it were paper, and the hand remains unscathed despite the jagged broken studs that splintered on impact.

“What was that?” Thomas asks out loud.

“Hmm, I guess I should mention that while your mind remains in control you can use my powers. Demonic strength is at your fingertips. Go ahead, use it, let it drive you closer to insanity for me!”

Looking down at his hands, Thomas thanks God his parents aren’t home this week. He wonders what else he can do and thinks about going somewhere less fragile to test his powers. Becoming a demon is not something he desires but being able to control the power thrusted upon him seems appealing; accidentally killing someone would drive him insane for sure.

4 years ago
I thought you were writing a rebirth contest story.

4 years ago

I am, which is why I shouldn't be writing this. My rebirth contest story is started, with a whole two pages written. This was just an idea that kep popping into my head.

4 years ago
It is not badly written, But dunno it feels like it lacks something. Maybe the starting is too rushed I would prefer a slower more mysterious approach that directly starting talking with the demon and telling there is a lot of people who died. I personally would prefer starting in the middle of the attacks or something like that and Thomas having to figure out what is happening. But that's my personal taste.

4 years ago

That probably is a good idea. I had ideas to start in the attack, but I wanted to start with the main character looking in the mirror for some reason. He could always look in the mirror later. The conversation with the Demon seemed a bit cheesy to me. That could be removed if I show you the attack, possibly.

4 years ago
Sorry, we're all playing Minecraft again. Writing Workshop should be considered closed for the foreseeable future.

Also, you should read Frameshift if you haven't.

4 years ago

Haha, I'll have to join I guess.

I haven't read that, but I can check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

4 years ago
It's pretty much the only superhero story we have that I'd call actually good, and it goes the edgy route as well.

4 years ago

Sweet, I'll definitely check it out before writing a superhero story! I wanted to go the sort of Anti-hero path so that will be a great example.