Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Hunter's Bounty- First Blitz Project

4 years ago

In between working on my larger stories I am thinking of doing a couple of fast writing projects. So there is this one plus the DMV one and probably one other I need to mull around in my brain more. Anyways, hearing a couple other people talk about star wars fanfic got me thinking of writing my own. 

Here is the first page, let me know if you have thoughts, suggestions, or want to criticize the shit out of this :D

Sand swirls around you, harsh wind clashing against your armor, its like a shell to you. The cloak hanging from your shoulder whips, and under foot the sand pads your steps.

A fear stricken alien creature crawls, a nasty burn on his leg with smoke rising. The long rifle in your hands is most accurate. He throws his hands up pleading.

"Please, please don't kill me!" he props himself up with his elbow, "I can pay-"

"I'm going to take you in, very much alive," the alien's face is visibly relieved, "you're worth twice as much that way."

As your hand grips the shackles on your hip-

Ptu ptu!

Red flashes fly right by you, burning and sizzling the quarry's chest and his death cry fills the air. You turn blaster ready.

Another Mandolorian stands, silver armor gleaming in the sunlight, a pistol in hand. A tiny column of smoke still rises from a small charred spot on her breast plate. 

"Baretta, what the hell?" you say.

"Sorry Cylo, this sorry piece of shit ruined my armor!" Her hand brushes the cyan lining of her helmet visor.

"He was a piece of shit, but we could have gotten enough to fix that and still have some left over."

"It'll be fine, we can use this money to fix my armor. Then when we inevitably catch the next one, you can buy that new gun I liked."

You shake your head.

"Alright but you're lugging the sorry carcass out of here."

With the dead space criminal in tow, you get back to the ship. While Baretta goes through the grim process of storing the bounty, you decide to clean up.

After a long hunt, its important to do so. You remove your helmet, feeling naked with out it. The dim gray coated so as to ward off the glint of sunlight, stands well with the dark orange lining the t-shaped visor. A couple scratches line the old thing.

You set about taking off and maintaining all of your equipment...and there is a lot of it. The ship takes off, and you are left to whittle the hours away.

Eventually, you feel a pair of hands on your shoulders. Baretta leans in, putting her lips as close to your ears as possible, just faintly brushing your ear.

"Are you done with that shit yet!" she yells as loud as possible.

You jerk your head back, and she leans down planting a big kiss on you, which soon turns into your usual post hunt routine....

A couple of days later, you've finally reached your destination. Several bounties accrued, either dead or alive, and you turn them all in between two government organizations as well one less than legitimate...seeker of justice. 

Equipment is fixed, supplies are bought, credits are set aside. 

Baretta drums her fingers on the dashboard of the space ship. 

"Let's see if our friend has found any more work for us."

Within moments a list of new bounties shows up on a screen near you. Baretta sifts past the crappy looking jobs, setting aside several promising looking ones with a swipe of the fingers. 

The first is for a particularly gross looking creature, by the name of Sneklag. By the picture, it appears to be some kind of snake like being, with strange mandibles spanning all around its gaping mouth. Rows of eyes down each side of its head. 

"Known for manufacturing and distributing illegal drugs, as well as other crimes," Baretta reads, "known to run with a large gang. Seems their last known location was on a moon above Ornus."

"The jungle moon?"

"Yep."

"What else is there?"

"Kaero Gri, known human trafficker, known to work on Casian, in the city district." Baretta taps her helmet, "apparently works with a network of kidnappers, dangerous group."

"True scum," you say leaning forward and squinting at the monitor, "seems a lot of people want his head." 

"Nice price."

You scroll to the next, a familiar view popping up.

"Is that?"

"Ranus." You shake your head. A rogue Mandolorian, he already had an unruly reputation, but several years ago he betrayed one of the last clans of your kind. They were brutally taken out by a band of jedi, who Ranus falsely led them to believe they had carried out several terrorist attacks. No one found out the truth until it was too late, but Ranus had already made off with his prize.

Now he is known to take bounty and hit contracts for criminal organizations, as well as running around with his pirate crew of fake Mandolorians. A bunch of common scum with whatever scraps of armor they could recover from real Mandolorians. There is a hefty price on his head, although you are sure that you or any other of your kind would gladly take him out for free.

"Scum of the universe," Baretta all but spits in her helmet.

The next is not a bounty, but a different type of job. A weapons dealer seems to be looking for some bodyguards to help him during a weapons trade. Two gangs with a bit of a bitter history, but its paying extremely well for what appears to be a simple job. 

Another interesting one appears. Similar to the last, the potential client is putting together a crew, but for a much different purpose. They are putting together a crew to explore a derelict station floating in space, the details are vague, but with the promise of a lot of money and more details to be finalized, it doesn't seem like a bad prospect.

"We're not babysitters or treasure hunters," Baretta's fingers come within an inch of deleting the post before you stop her.

"Jobs a job, lets take our time looking at these."

"I prefer our regular line of work."

"I know you do," you say as you gesture to the pistols on her hips.

Before you can select a job, a private message pops up. Well encrypted, very secretive. You open it to find one of your usual clients, one that usually requires more discretion than the usual hunt. The details are vague, but he has contacted you personally. 

"A very special mission," Baretta reads off the monitor, "looks like he wants to discuss this in person."

"Not the first time," you say, "we can expect something requiring some finesse, think you'll be able to handle that?"

She raps her fist on your chest.

"Hey, I can be subtle."

You lean back in your chair, pondering all of the different choices. You have the whole universe in front of you and plenty of options.

4 years ago
nerd

4 years ago
Turn this into a storygame and also I want to explore the derelict station first.

4 years ago

That will be a fun one to write

Hopefully fun to read too