Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Contest SHAME 16: SHAME Of The Noobs

3 years ago

Well I didn't even judge this one, but it seems like a shitshow all around. Just as I expected. One of the noobs was apparently already on the list so they got double SHAMED.

Negative has been banned again since apparently he can't even be bothered to make the minimal effort to please the admin who showed him mercy in the first place.

Lots of SHAME this time around, so let's get to it.

PIT OF SHAME

3iguy

Acratios
AllenKudzu
AmazingSeastar

AnimalAlien
Austinc
Author4
awesomeness12

Axxius
AzBaz
Bannerlord
betaband
bjhovey
Blazewhisker
BlueThread
BryceTheJew
Cat2002116

Chanbot (Ford)
Chris113022
Claw2k11

CockusBlockamus

corvus
curtain64
DarkSpawn
Dezzo_lute21
Digit
DiniTheWizard
Doodled
DungeonLord
Everwriter
frank2
ISentinelPenguinI
Jacoder23
JCjr
JeffreyJabs
jep49
jodithewitch

jordanvang
Journeyman
KingTrex3
Kooky_von_Koopa
Lallafa
Lancelot
Liqquitty
lunamoonia1

Megumeme
NekoCat
Neverland

Novelist176
Oraclemache
Orange
Ozoni
p1_tjc
Providence
pugpup1
QingBo
RainGem
Raki
Rathalon1213
RealKurioslasoun
RedComm
resistor
Reywalker786
roffdoff
Romulus
Seto
ShinobiKun
ShowMeTheCode
SixtySnakes
SkullyZombies
Slasher

spacewinner

Starbourne
stargazer
Thotfodder
Ugilick
unturned
VainCorsair
Victim
White_Rose
WouldntItBeNice
XNeoBurritoX

DOUBLE SHAMED

BenCrucifix
bilbo
Flamenod
insanebutvain

Kwism1127
MasonJarGuzzi
mazdark
MinnieKing
Mr.Mustachio
Plelb
RoyalGhost_007
Samyers0616
Yellowbelly

BANNED AND SHAMED

CallMeFriend (Boringfirelion)
castorgreatpoetguy (Ficsean_Chef)
Comply
Darkfox432
Davefaster
Emo_Lord_Holocaust
LADYHEAT24
lordkarstark (multiple times)
Lurkinator
Negative (multiple times)
Patandjenfan33333

ShoujoAddict
temporaryaccount
Tot

Victim

That's it for this contest and as usual, you lot are terrible.

3 years ago
I'm not mad at them, just disappointed.

And disgusted by some...
....well, just Megumeme really.

But the one who's going to be really memorable here is jordanvang, who took the time to get everyone's hopes up before crushing them completely. Real masterclass work in being a disappointment there.

3 years ago
SHAAAAAMMME Also, I think Clam turned something in.

3 years ago
Oh right, I guess he's freed himself from the last time. End forgot to add Shouja to the BANNED AND SHAMED list too, I'm sure he'll enjoy that.

3 years ago

Updated the list.

3 years ago
Very nice

3 years ago

Thanks for the assist! 

3 years ago
I'm sure you'll find a way to repay me at some point.

3 years ago

Cameo inbound.

"Chirp digs through the trash, giving zero fucks about who might be watching.  I half expect her to be chewing on a discarded burger or something when she stands up, but she just gives me a thumbs up instead.

'Bingo,' she cheers, 'I knew I dropped it around here.'  The smuggest smirk I've seen crosses her face as she pulls the detonator from behind her back.

None quite like her.  For better or worse."

3 years ago
Very nice

3 years ago

Part of my next story, hoping to have it out in a few months. Eating garbage may or may not be included. 

3 years ago
Be sure to tag me when it is finished then.

3 years ago
Congrats on your freedom!

You'll need to undergo a decontamination process however, and spend two weeks in quarantine.

We usually recommend that people exiting THE PIT OF SHAME shave their hair--all their hair--to make sure they're not bringing out any unwanted hitchhikers as well.

Oh, and any teeth lost (from scurvy or the daily beatings) are not covered on our insurance plan.

3 years ago
Uuh, this doesn't seem like a good place to be. D:

How do I get my name off this list?

3 years ago

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of ways, such as building a time machine and going back to when you were thinking of entering the contest to slap yourself in the face or maybe hacking the site and deleting the name yourself. But, the easiest way would probably be to actually finish one that you've entered. At least, that's how I would do it.

3 years ago
Thanks, so I can just write something for the Break contest to fix this? I planned to withdraw from that one since I'm pretty busy right now, and there's no penalty for entering that one. But maybe I can do something small for it since there's no word count either.

3 years ago
Yes, entering a story in that contest will free you from SHAME. And indeed, there's no penalty for failure: no pressure, as far as Camelon is aware.

3 years ago
I don't like the way you said that....

3 years ago

3 years ago
Isn't there another way to get off the list? What if I wrote a feature worthy sci fi game?

I don't think I'm going to finish the Break contest story in time. I keep adding ideas to it, but at the same time haven't had a lot of time to write.

But I'm not sure if I'll want to enter another contest after this, turns out I'm really bad at this deadline stuff and there's just no way to plan ahead so far in advance.

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 8/14/2020 12:38:51 PM

Nope.  Only one way out so far as I'm aware. But listen, I was stuck on that list for years when I was younger.  I entered a contest back before I'd gotten any good at writing and tried to go way too big.  After that, I pretty much disappeared from the site and didn't return for quite a long time. At that point, I hadn't finished anything longer than a few thousand words, even though I wanted to go on to write novels. So when I finally did come back, I did so with a thirst to prove myself. My SHAME was a perfect representation of everything I couldn't stand about my own writing process.

First chance I got, I entered a contest with that thought in mind. It was the hardest thing I'd ever done, and I considered giving up more times than I care to admit, but I knew that if I ever wanted to get good at this and make things I was really proud of, I had to stick it out and finish. From the beginning I knew my idea was a big one, at least compared to everything I'd done before.  I realized I had to put in a thousand words a day if I was ever to finish on time.  Even in doing that, I had to cut a lot of content for the sake of time, but it was still worth it.  When I finally did finish, I came out with a 28k word game, the longest thing I've ever managed to complete.  

Since then, I've taken on bigger projects, which I'm still working on to this day.  But because I did that contest, I know I've got what it takes to finish them. I don't know if your situation is similar to mine or not, but if I can do it, so can you.

3 years ago
Oh, you did Paper Mache. Nice.

3 years ago
Afraid that's a nope.

Half the point of the SHAME pit is to light a fire under people's asses with a little risk. No deadline, no risk, no matter what amazing feats you think you can perform.

Now I could tell you to do something like write a featured story by the end of next month, or else....but you'd be right back in the same situation you failed at twice before, only with some daunting quality standards to meet this time.

Just write anything, you still have the weekend. Or else suck it up, take the SHAME, and be smarter about this next time.

Now, TRIPLE SHAMED....well you'll notice there's no one triple shamed on the list. And that's all I'll say about that.

(Literally never entering a contest again is a valid way to stay safe, but it is the coward's way...)

3 years ago

You've still got a couple days. Finish it up the best you can - even if you have to skip over a planned branch or write shorter pages.

3 years ago
:(

Didn't think it would work, but it was worth a try....