Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

A Story About Killing Hitler

10 years ago
I just put together my Killing Hitler with Praise and Fire Choose Your Own Adventure book V1, it's not too bad. Would love some feedback on it, I used inklewriter as I didn't know about the story writer here.

If you can think of any other ways to stop Hitler that I might have missed let me know and I can credit you when my book is released in book form, android and ios in November.

10 years ago

ha I thought it was funny. *Spoiler Alert* didn't really expect that you could let him live and just make him a successful artist.

10 years ago

Well, if you don't want to throw baby Hitler in a river (or something similar) you could try kidnapping him and putting him on the doorstep of a sufficiently far away orphanage or church.

Presumably his upbringing would be sufficiently different enough that he wouldn't become "our" Hitler. But I'm assuming someone else just takes his place or his new upbringing just makes him worse given most of the endings. (I did manage to get the ending where you stop him successfully though)

10 years ago

Ahh I can't play it again!

10 years ago

I actually like that throwing baby Hitler in a river idea, it's not too brutal which is good. I was originally intending to allow the protagonist to kill fetus Hitler via a punch to the belly or throwing the mother down some stairs but thought the imagery was a bit too brutal and cruel.

I also like the kidnap Hitler and give him to a church/orphanage idea.

Thanks for that EndMaster

10 years ago

I thought it was pretty entertaining  :)

10 years ago

if you killed Hitler as a baby, there would be no Nazis, Neo-Nazi idiots, or Halaucaust, but you would be regarded as one of history's creepiest baby-killing pricks instead of Hitler. Is it that worth it? At least kill him when he's a grown man and shows some of his true colors if you're going to make a show of it.

10 years ago

I don't think Hitler actually created the Nazi Party...

10 years ago

There have been lots of stories about going back in time and killing Hitler, whether its while he's a baby or as an adult, it usually always fails. Either events conspire against the time traveler or someone worse just takes Hitler's place.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlersTimeTravelExemptionAct

10 years ago

That was fun and pretty good.

10 years ago

Thanks for that, I'm working on making it better with more choices though, I'm also considering removing the respawn ability to try to increase the tension in the book, as at the moment death means nothing.

10 years ago

The whole point of the story is to kill him, not just to avoid holocaust. I find it offensive, be it about killing Hitler or anyone else. I know there are a lot of interactive fiction where people dies, but the point of them is not about the death of these people.

A story where the whole plot revolves around gratuitous death and killing someone can't be good. It is even worse because the point is killing Hitler before he does anything, which makes the main char look like a heartless murderer. Yes, we know what he will do. But no one else in the story does. You are basically killing a random man.

And you do have a chance to keep him alive, but the path seems a bit rushed and you could develop it a bit more.

As you can play it only once, I did not explore the other paths. I hope this helped you.

10 years ago

Sorry for the offensive, I don't intend the story to be all about killing Hitler(it was just a good catchy title), though those are the only arcs I've finished so far, as well as the one positive arc.  The aim of the book is actually to stop WW2 and there will be a percent rating on each ending, the best endings will not just involve shooting or killing baby Hitler.

I'm working on the following arcs, save Hitler's little brother, give Hitler to an orphanage as a child, altering the Versailles Treaty to prevent the hyperinflation and general unrest that occurred in Germany afterwards WW1, giving gold to his family so they are no longer poor and downtrodden so he would have been unlikely to enter WW1, getting Hitler to marry and have kids pre WW1, and so many other arcs.

As well as the kill Hitler for shits n giggles arcs, such as kill Hitler in his bunker in 1945 right before the Russians rush in just to be able to say you killed Hitler.  And some historical attempts such as the briefcase bomb and an attempt to complete Operation Foxley in 1944.

10 years ago

Actually I was sort of disappointed that I couldn't just kill Hitler's mother. Personally I think you did a pretty good job overall though.

I would've suggested the attempt to alter the treaty of Versailes or perhaps trying to alter the course of WW1 (or stop it completely) but I figured that would be out of the scope of the story. Glad to see those are possible paths in the future.

Of course another non-violent way is you could just find a way to publicly embarrass Hitler so that he became a figure of ridicule and nobody took him seriously.

If you're looking for possible failure outcomes, remember the always popular: Without Hitler around, Stalin and the soviets end up being the big bad guys and WW2 happens anyway.

Or the war lasts long enough that Berlin gets nuked too.

10 years ago

God damn treaty of Versailes.

10 years ago

Those are great points EndMaster, I'm considering allowing you to kill Hitler's mother, though it just seems a bit barbaric to me. The least brutal way I could think of was "As Klara begins to descend the staircase you close your eyes and push".

There's lots arcs being developed, some involve making his parents never meet, or assassinating one of them prior to his birth, though I do need to work on the consequences, ie another Hitler could just emerge from the Nazi Party or Stalin causes WW2, so many variables, hence why I'm working with a historical writer to help ensure I keep it as historically accurate but still entertaining as possible.

I'm considering putting my novel on hold while I work on this as it's always been one of my life goals to publish a CYOA book, even since I read the lone wolf books as a child.

5 years ago
Wow this Rafe guy was an incredible faggot. He's got other posts in his profile to prove it too.

5 years ago

Agreed.

Banned.

5 years ago
LOL

10 years ago

I don't know if you used these but: put him into a concetration camp, kill him with a gas chamber, assassinate him and do the one thign he never wanted to happen: put his body on display at a museum, send him a letter laced with arsenic, fill a gas mask with mustard gas and strap it to his face, keep his feet in the trenches so he gets trenchfoot, suffocate him witha Nazi flag, or "You have 10 seconds. No wait, nein mein fuhrer." Boom!

10 years ago

I was a bit wary, for some reason as I get older the whole Hitler/Nazi thing becomes more of an issue, I was born 17 years after the war and no one really talked about it, in my part of the UK we got away lightly just a rogue ME109 making its final stand down the high street, which was surprising because a lot of the heavy English and Canadian bombers were based around here... basically as a kid we run around killing Germans, anyone involved with the war never spoke about it so any knowledge you gained was from movies and TV

I enjoyed the story, I took the WW1 path and tried to take him out early and successfully got myself mugged! Just like a Saturday night out at home!

Very interesting work, I will explore further :)

10 years ago

I still find it amazing that parts of central London were still shut up into the 90's from the blitz, or so I was told when I was strolling around the U.K. and Europe last year.

Glad you enjoyed the story, just finished V3, sorry for not posting V2, oh well. The new version has 13 main paths vs the old 4, some of the new paths only appear after you complete some of the other paths.

http://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/3mq9

Once again I apologize for not writing up my story via the chooseyourownstory gamebook maker.

I did try to implement some of the scenarios advised by some of you, thanks. Though this is still a work in progress and I'm currently trying to find a way to create an epub or mobi cyoa.

10 years ago

Maybe you could steal baby Adolf and raise him yourself, make him a Jew or keep him from politics or anything. Or maybe prevent him from ever being conceived, by killing his mom or dad or not allowing them to meet. Or maybe you could join the allies in WWI and storm the trenches looking for him - with backup this time (and a gun). Or maybe you could bring a tank with you, in WWI they wouldn't be able to stop modern tanks. Or maybe you could draft some allies from the current time and just storm Hitler's home as a child.

I have too many ideas =P 

10 years ago

My favorite short story about killing Hitler, it's basically a log from a message board for time-traveling enthusiasts: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/08/wikihistory

Urg.. still can't get links to work.

Anyway here's the first few paragraphs:

International Association of Time Travelers: Members’ Forum
Subforum: Europe – Twentieth Century – Second World War
Page 263

11/15/2104
At 14:52:28, FreedomFighter69 wrote:
Reporting my first temporal excursion since joining IATT: have just returned from 1936 Berlin, having taken the place of one of Leni Riefenstahl’s cameramen and assassinated Adolf Hitler during the opening of the Olympic Games. Let a free world rejoice!

At 14:57:44, SilverFox316 wrote:
Back from 1936 Berlin; incapacitated FreedomFighter69 before he could pull his little stunt. Freedomfighter69, as you are a new member, please read IATT Bulletin 1147 regarding the killing of Hitler before your next excursion. Failure to do so may result in your expulsion per Bylaw 223.

At 18:06:59, BigChill wrote:
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip. I did. It always gets fixed within a few minutes, what’s the harm?

At 18:33:10, SilverFox316 wrote:
Easy for you to say, BigChill, since to my recollection you’ve never volunteered to go back and fix it. You think I’ve got nothing better to do?

11/16/2104
At 10:15:44, JudgeDoom wrote:
Good news! I just left a French battlefield in October 1916, where I shot dead a young Bavarian Army messenger named Adolf Hitler! Not bad for my first time, no? Sic semper tyrannis!

At 10:22:53, SilverFox316 wrote:
Back from 1916 France I come, having at the last possible second prevented Hitler’s early demise at the hands of JudgeDoom and, incredibly, restrained myself from shooting JudgeDoom and sparing us all years of correcting his misguided antics. READ BULLETIN 1147, PEOPLE!

At 15:41:18, BarracksRoomLawyer wrote:
Point of order: issues related to Hitler’s service in the Bavarian Army ought to go in the World War I forum.

11/21/2104
At 02:21:30, SneakyPete wrote:
Vienna, 1907: after numerous attempts, have infiltrated the Academy of Fine Arts and facilitated Adolf Hitler’s admission to that institution. Goodbye, Hitler the dictator; hello, Hitler the modestly successful landscape artist! Brought back a few of his paintings as well, any buyers?

At 02:29:17, SilverFox316 wrote:
All right; that’s it. Having just returned from 1907 Vienna where I secured the expulsion of Hitler from the Academy by means of an elaborate prank involving the Prefect, a goat, and a substantial quantity of olive oil, I now turn my attention to our newer brethren, who, despite rules to the contrary, seem to have no intention of reading Bulletin 1147 (nor its Addendum, Alternate Means of Subverting the Hitlerian Destiny, and here I’m looking at you, SneakyPete). Permit me to sum it up and save you the trouble: no Hitler means no Third Reich, no World War II, no rocketry programs, no electronics, no computers, no time travel. Get the picture?

At 02:29:49, SilverFox316 wrote:
PS to SneakyPete: your Hitler paintings aren’t worth anything, schmuck, since you probably brought them directly here from 1907, which means the paint’s still fresh. Freaking n00b.

10 years ago

Ha ha! That's good. Thanks for the link.

10 years ago

That was rather amusing. 

10 years ago

Hehe.

10 years ago

Wow, that's pure gold, thanks for posting, I'll have to read through it and maybe incorporate some options like this, love it.

10 years ago

I'm running a kickstarter campaign at the moment to fund the illustrations for my choose your own adventure book: Killing Hitler With Praise And Fire. I published the drafts here a while ago and it seemed a bit popular so I thought I'd post that the campaign has just started in case anyone wanted to read the entire thing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/376100657/killing-hitler-with-praise-an-fire-choose-your-own

5 years ago
Damn, nice, this OP pulled off a successful Kickstarter and then released a book. https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Hitler-Praise-Fire-Horrible/dp/149284232X

Suck on that, Con Mod Seth.