Escape the Snow Cave

Player Rating3.72/8

"#345 overall, #33 for 2015"
based on 108 ratings since 01/02/2016
played 343 times (finished 69)

"march in the swamp"

"A nice jog down the driveway"

"choking hazard for children under 4"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 6. To compare to the movie rating system, this would be G.

In this storygame, who play as a young explorer who is wandering through the arctic. Unfortunately, you end up lost in a snow cave that just happens to be home to a yeti. You have to get out of there before the it finds you (or something else gets you first...)!

The first thing I noticed was that a multitude of choices were being made for the reader without a chance for us to make our own decisions. Linearity is something that needs to be fixed immediately, to give the storygame a more branching feel. The character shouldn't be doing things and feeling such ways without any input from the reader.

Another things is how pointless the storygame seems. I get that the character is an explorer, but every explorer has a valid reason when exploring an area, be it ruins or something else of historical significance. The "Legendary Artic Bat" needs a story that intrigues the reader, and gives a purpose for the explorer.

It seems highly unlikely that the cave would be found so quickly and easily. I think way too much is occurring on the first page. It should be slower and more descriptive. A nice background sets the mood for the whole rest of the storygame and highly affects the rating given by readers.

It will take a lot of work, but with the right attitude and some persistence, this could much better and leave a nice mark for future storygames of the category to try and reach for.

2/8
-- Nyctophilia on 3/28/2017 12:14:55 PM with a score of 0
The Snow Cave does not hesitate to dive right into the action. Playing the role of a novice explorer, readers must escape a seemingly desolate ice cave...or is it?

The choices are pretty linear in this story, with not a lot of room for exploration. I liked how we got to examine the sign in the beginning. It's minor things like that which really bring out the game and make it come to life. Other than that, however, we just don't get much of that.

I finished the game on my second play through. Overall, it's a good, quick read.
-- AppDude27 on 9/11/2015 2:48:49 PM with a score of 0
This was a decent story game, and it had a few good elements throughout. Your grammar is good, and you managed to prevent the game from being entirely linear. I have a few things I think you should work on.

Firstly, the story of the game was quite rushed. I felt as if the events of the game were happening so fast, and there wasn't as much detail for each as I think there should have been. Perhaps take the time to add detail and tension as you go; for example, if the yeti is about to appear in a few pages, write something about the character hearing the faint sound of footsteps, or a faint roar.

Secondly, your choices were a little uneventful. The paths were mostly guesswork, and I had to randomly choose paths in order to get through. To improve on this, you should add small hints. Perhaps write about a draft coming from one of the paths, or faint light coming from the other. Of course, you could add tricks; the light could end up being the torches you mentioned in your game, rather than sunlight.

Overall, your story has great potential, and, as it is currently, is not too bad. I wish you luck in your writing!
-- Lilitha on 7/26/2015 7:36:30 PM with a score of 0
"Three days later, you are rich amd famous! You have proven the existence of the yeti and brought back a live specimen! Congratulations!
In case it wasn't obvious, you won the game. I hope you enjoyed!"

Yay, that was fun! I took the direct route and directly took away the Yeti baby and directly escaped. If only life can be so direct as well. ;)
-- TestingJest on 8/17/2017 3:54:58 AM with a score of 0
Awesome
-- Rosy on 6/14/2017 11:49:16 AM with a score of 0
It's good
-- Kid on 6/14/2017 11:45:45 AM with a score of 0
+1 for interesting idea, +1 for good grammar/spelling/etc, +1 for some nonlinear paths, and +1 for one of the better short storygames. It's nice that you jumped right into the action- no explanations were really necessary.

For a short story like this, your pages were a bit long. It's always possible to give the reader more choices (for example, let us CHOOSE to dive out of the way). But I did genuinely enjoy this. Nice job.
-- PhantomStylus on 6/1/2017 1:41:22 PM with a score of 0